SPOT Tracks: Post up your routes

Scott Brady

Founder
I am really digging this new tool: www.findmespot.com

I used it for the first time this last weekend, covering the 160+ miles of the El Camino Del Diablo.

I thought it would be cool for those of us that own the units to post a screen shot of the route.

Now they just need to have a way for us to export the track as a .gpx XML file :)

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
El Camino Del Diablo

My first track:

El Camino Del Diablo is one of the most remote points in CONUS, and the trail covers over 150 miles from Yuma to Ajo. At one point, we were over 42 miles from the nearest US road. About as remote as you can get...

route_ECDD.jpg

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
That is so cool. I have my fingers crossed. X-mas is just around the corner. Great Thread Idea.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Bradshaw Overland Trail: A route that travels from the Salton Sea the Colorado River. 70+ miles off road with a 23 mile section of a LIVE Bombing range nearby.

bradshawtrackix9.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Interesting, but I get the impression that they haven't checked their page in Firefox..........

So you buy the unit, and then purchase the service?

SpotMaker

ntsqd said:
Interesting, but I get the impression that they haven't checked their page in Firefox..........

So you buy the unit, and then purchase the service?

What problem are you having in Firefox?

Works fine for me...

(Disclaimer: I work for the company that makes the SPoT, but not for SPoT Inc. who does the web page, and I have little to no influence on the web page.)

That being said, everything I've tried on the findmespot.com website has worked fine in Firefox...

RHINO

Expedition Leader
SOCALFJ said:
Bradshaw Overland Trail: A route that travels from the Salton Sea the Colorado River. 70+ miles off road with a 23 mile section of a LIVE Bombing range nearby.

sounds like a pint sized camino diablo

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I'm looking into this as a birthday present. Mom's are suckers for it because they ALWAYS want to know where you're at. :peepwall:

Anyone do any cool new tracks with it?:lurk:

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I'm getting one this summer. I just realized the service is $150 a year :Wow1: , but I think will be worth it.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I can't say enough about how happy I & my wife are with my spot...this weekend I covered over 550 miles with only the most vague plan and much of it near the az-mex border...instead of my wife waiting for phone call's when ever I might have had cell service and wondering about my campsite safety she could just watch the track and get the ok messages (sent w/ each meal just to make a good habit)...
when you factor the cost down per trip or per day is a really nothing.
get one you will love it...
oh and I will try to post up my track soon...not very good at it.

Hoss86

Observer
Thanks for posting up this thread. I was going to buy one last year, but was afraid of this new product. I wasn't familiar with it and I always buy new stuff that later gets discontinued. :oops: I think Spot has a successful future and a huge potential to improve years to come. I hope they do improve the physical survivability and add more features. Keep the postings about Spot going.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Another 2 thumbs up for the SPOT. I venture off quite frequently by myself, alot of the time on my Dakar moto. The SPOT gives my wife a nice peace of mind seeing Im still moving and what area Im in. Now I take off anytime and dont worry about telling anyone where Im going or what Im doing. The wife can check the web site and with google see exactly where im at. A couple of week ago I took off on the moto for breakfast and ended up in Mexico :wings: so I just send the Im OK message (to her cell phone) when I crossed the border and out of curiosity she checked and new where I was. She now has able to know where I was at all times and new when I was on my way home. The good is the able to see where I was and were I was staying giving her the peace of mind she would not of had before. The bad is the question of why I when to the bar at 11:30 PM and the bar I went to in Mexico and how long I was there.:oops:

The other use I have found is it works as a low budget low jack. I have a little lockable compartment on my moto and I turn it on when I leave and forget about it until I return.

Another use, a friend of mind has found is to velcro his SPOT to the underneath of his kids Scion's bumper and know where he has been and the time. It gives dad peace of mind knowing his kids did and was where he/she claimed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1