sr5sushi's 4runner build thread

sr5sushi

Helicopter Pilot
Alright guys

ill make this short and sweet. I have 3,000 bucks from taxes comin in and i want to purchase some new suspension components.

I don't think i need to spend the whole kitten cabootal. but i want something nice under my truck.

Im lookin at ICON and FOX.

I want some coilovers for the front maybe new UCA's if needed and just new shocks in the rear. i like my LC coils.

shoot me some of your guys's thoughts. My truck is more a pavement pounder/expedition vehicle right now and a weekend worrier. I live on a lot of back roads where the suspension really gets a work out, and i want something that will take the bumps like a champ. I plan to add a little weight in the front with a winch.

please shoot me some links also. greatly appreciated

thanks guys

wjb4000

Adventurer
I know somebody already asked this, but I never saw an answer. How does it compare to your jeep in the off road department? I'm thinking of getting a 3rd gen runner for an off road rig, just curious about the IFS compared to what I'm used to. I've always loved the look of them, just not sure about the articulation for mild rocks and trails. Do they have any kind of built in traction control, whether it be a rear e-locker or ABS sort of thing? Thanks for any info.....

Oh, and yours looks awesome! If I got one, yours is a great inspiration for what I'd like to build.

r3run33

Adventurer
great looking vehicle! The roof rack? did you start with some sort of base rack and then add stuff if so what brand is it?

sr5sushi

Helicopter Pilot
great looking vehicle! The roof rack? did you start with some sort of base rack and then add stuff if so what brand is it?

Thanks man! Nope, i build the rack to my specs. bought all the supplies and metal and welded her up :) I had a CAD program and i drew it up in there first. I need to re-paint it maybe even get it powder coated...

sr5sushi

Helicopter Pilot
I know somebody already asked this, but I never saw an answer. How does it compare to your jeep in the off road department? I'm thinking of getting a 3rd gen runner for an off road rig, just curious about the IFS compared to what I'm used to. I've always loved the look of them, just not sure about the articulation for mild rocks and trails. Do they have any kind of built in traction control, whether it be a rear e-locker or ABS sort of thing? Thanks for any info.....

Oh, and yours looks awesome! If I got one, yours is a great inspiration for what I'd like to build.

Its really about what your planning on using the truck for, your certainly are limited a little bit more with IFS compared to a SA rig. with a SA rig you'll be able to get a lot more flexibility and articulation. But for me i don't plan to make a rock crawler with my 4runner. I just plan to go out for a weekend trip, for an all around 4wheeling rig its great! moves strong on the trails crawls over pretty good size rocks and boulders. good in water crossings. The only problem thats frustrating sometimes is when you come to a section on a trail that makes one side of the front suspension droop at full, its hard to get that traction to keep going. but it all depends on if you have lockers. usually the rear will keep you pushing. super minor thing really.

I hope this all makes sense. and thanks so much! i love this truck, i plan to keep it a while! :)

sandcrawler

Observer
So here is a short story. I Left a note on a window of a millennium silver 4runner, with a hood scoop. Guy called me back that afternoon and I asked the question, "may i trade hoods with you?" he said "heck ya, i don't mind at all"

I FINALLY got a scooped hood. after years of searching.
Scoop.jpg
ever since you posted that it seems like i can't stop seeing silver 3rd gens with hood scoops in my area! probably seen 4 or 5 of them in less than two weeks!

looks great. congrats on the find.

sandcrawler

Observer
Alright guys

ill make this short and sweet. I have 3,000 bucks from taxes comin in and i want to purchase some new suspension components.

I don't think i need to spend the whole kitten cabootal. but i want something nice under my truck.

Im lookin at ICON and FOX.

I want some coilovers for the front maybe new UCA's if needed and just new shocks in the rear. i like my LC coils.

shoot me some of your guys's thoughts. My truck is more a pavement pounder/expedition vehicle right now and a weekend worrier. I live on a lot of back roads where the suspension really gets a work out, and i want something that will take the bumps like a champ. I plan to add a little weight in the front with a winch.

please shoot me some links also. greatly appreciated

thanks guys
i don't have any experience with either, but fwiw i'm heavily considering Icon coilovers and rear shocks for my 2010. let us know what you decide!

haddix

Adventurer
This build is making me wish I still had my 3rd gen. It was like the twin of yours. Millennium silver, snorkel,315's, 4.88's, TRD FJ wheels, full length rack. Good taste man and keep up the good work!

sr5sushi

Helicopter Pilot
When your getting bobbed around in the truck on the trails, i thought it be nice to have a better hand hold.
IMG_3611.jpg

CB location
IMG_3612.jpg

CB antenna mount, custom made.
IMG_3560.jpg

sr5sushi

Helicopter Pilot
This build is making me wish I still had my 3rd gen. It was like the twin of yours. Millennium silver, snorkel,315's, 4.88's, TRD FJ wheels, full length rack. Good taste man and keep up the good work!

Haddix, i looked at your 3'rd gen thread before i started modding! your's and MillerPKA's. both your rigs were inspirations. Your new Tacoma is looking great man keep up the good work. Makes me want a taco......hahaha

haddix

Adventurer
Haddix, i looked at your 3'rd gen thread before i started modding! your's and MillerPKA's. both your rigs were inspirations. Your new Tacoma is looking great man keep up the good work. Makes me want a taco......hahaha

Thanks I appreciate it. I'm going to try to keep the Taco a little more mild until I finish up college. Then the fun will begin!

Project510

Adventurer
Love the rig man. Looks fantastic. What kind of mileage are you getting with all your added weight/mods? I still need to drive one of these full built. How does it feel compared to when it was stock?

sr5sushi

Helicopter Pilot
You know, its not to badd...im getting 16-19MPG. its not great, but it gets the job done. It rides decent, NOT as nice as stock of course, but these tires are MAD smooth compared to some that i have owned on my rig. thats why i own one of these guys to save on money and tires during the summer.

Last edited:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
My friend you have an eye for the look goods, seems like everyone of your vehicles past and present look good. I like your taste.

Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1