Subaru Forester & Outback - Educate Me

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If it's any help to you, Imprezas can be fun too. This is a guys WRX wagon from a couple other forums I'm on.

Of course, the Forester sits on the Impreza chassis so any of the mods made on those Imprezas should be available for the Forester as well. The Legacy (Outback) chassis is the same width but is noticeably longer.

But as someone said before, the power distribution is something like 90% front 10% rear. But I think I read somewhere that it's only when driving normally, and when it senses spinning from the rear wheels, it sends power to the wheel that is slipping. Youtube has some videos showing the Subaru AWD system going up against other cars, and it seems to do great.

That only applies to the automatic transmissions. The manual trans versions are 50/50 F/R all the time.

And I believe the head gasket problem was more with the older 2.2 motor, and not as much with the 2.5 (though it did still happen from time to time).

No, that's backwards. The 2.2 was probably the most trouble free engine Subaru ever made up until the most recent 2.5s. In fact, go over to the Subaru forums and you'll see that when someone gets a '95-'99 (2nd Gen Legacy) with a blown head gasket, the most common response is "throw out that 2.5 and put a 2.2 in!

pint

Adventurer
I'm thinking a Forester is just the ticket. Any particular years I need to watch out for? I will be putting 30K on it per year. If everything works in my favor, I'll be keeping my Land Cruiser for more major off road duties!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm not sure exactly when the kinks were all worked out of the 2.5 head gasket issue but I think if you stick with the 2003-up (which was the 2nd gen for the Foresters) then you should be fine.

You should probably also post this question over at the Ultimate Subaru Message Board as they will be able to give you more detailed info.

Scoob

No, that's backwards. The 2.2 was probably the most trouble free engine Subaru ever made up until the most recent 2.5s. In fact, go over to the Subaru forums and you'll see that when someone gets a '95-'99 (2nd Gen Legacy) with a blown head gasket, the most common response is "throw out that 2.5 and put a 2.2 in!

I am on a few Subaru forums (Nasioc, Dirty Impreza, I-club, OffRoadSubarus...and a few more). Since I dont look alot at the older models I never notice the head gasket problems. I hear more about the problems with the 2.0's spinning bearing and damaging piston rings.

I was just going by what a couple guys I work with said about the 2.2's. The Subaru dealership down the street from where I work used to send all the blown head gaskets to a guy I work to fix, not doing it themselves for some reason (this was in like 1995-1999) and he said it was always the 2.2's he would be changing them on. I know people like the 2.2l for the closed deck/semi-closed deck designs. Much stronger blocks.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I am on a few Subaru forums (Nasioc, Dirty Impreza, I-club, OffRoadSubarus...and a few more).

I'm on Nasioc too. I also have a 2005 WRX Wagon.

wrx1cl6.jpg

offroadsubie

Observer
'03-'04 front end looks the best. I was thinking getting rid of my subie to go for a disco II but finally, i've decided to keep my subie and going full modification mode!:wings: bfg at tires,lift kit,skid plates,etc...got a long grocery list.

Picture13004.jpg

pint

Adventurer
'03-'04 front end looks the best. I was thinking getting rid of my subie to go for a disco II but finally, i've decided to keep my subie and going full modification mode!:wings: bfg at tires,lift kit,skid plates,etc...got a long grocery list.

Picture13004.jpg

Keep us posted. I will be watching closely!

offroadsubie

Observer
I will for sure. but be patient cause i'm planning on buying/having fabricated everything during next winter while i'm in full ski season(my other passion) so that when spring hits, i'll have my subaru mecanic install everything and will probably go back to newfoundland/labrador to test it:victory: so it's a 1 year project but I want it to be perfect. I'm going for the blacked out look: black car,black offroad wheels,etc...will keep you updated! will start a post on the build eventually.

Scoob

Picture13004.jpg

Definetly keep us updated. I've been waiting a long time to see someone go all out on a Forester. I was hoping to pick up a old cheap one to have some fun with.

Scoob

Well, I've gotten it narrowed down to a FJ, an Outback, or a Forester. Decisions, decisions!

I believe an FJ is in a completely different league than the Subarus. It has way better off road capabilities. I love the interiors on the FJ's also.

Edit: And I'm not going to lie, if I had these choices I'd go with the FJ. I love Subarus, and would love to get a Forester to see what I could do with it. But I think a stock FJ will do better than a modified Subaru off road and would be more reliable. I'm hoping that someday Subaru will come up with a serious off road vehicle, that would make me very happy.

Last edited:

Lichen

Explorer
That is one nice Subaru. The only reason that I am undecided is that I have a niice off-road capable Tacoma.

offroadsubie

Observer
Definetly keep us updated. I've been waiting a long time to see someone go all out on a Forester. I was hoping to pick up a old cheap one to have some fun with.

i've been thinking about the cost and if worth it. i'd love a disco or a tacoma also and checked some on the web for sale near my home to see the prices and found a superb tacoma '04 like i'd like but when i checked the value of my subie,:Wow1::Wow1: it's worth nearly half of what I still owe on it!!! I should of known since I average 30000km/year with it. So I'll keep on going with my plans for the forester. i know a jeep owner who does some fabricating and he could do custom bumpers for me for cheap. but first thing will be a autohome roof tent with maybe a bajarack under it since I'll have to take my basket off for tent. I'm planning on going back to newfoundland for a winter camping/ski expedition even if I don't have all my mods done. just need the tent though. when the subie will be all paid for, then I'll go for a tacoma.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1