The Big Meander, Summer 2011

scarysharkface

Explorer
So we popped into Silverton to walk around a bit..

i-RwGh9mv-XL.jpg

i-FWfGCSQ-XL.jpg

A little something for everyone..

i-kwDkVm9-XL.jpg

The End of the Line..

i-TqB3LqL-XL.jpg

We found a place to grab some lunch. It was touristy and expensive and not all that good, but...

i-gHmSwN4-XL.jpg

Again, a little something for everyone..

i-SnbZqvZ-XL.jpg

The drive back to Ouray gave us a chance to appreciate the engineering that went into building this stretch of road, hugging the sides of the mountains as it does..

i-sjJ9TkF-XL.jpg

That evening we drove back into town for the fireworks..

i-7CLCJCg-XL.jpg

Pretty, but we probably won't be doing that again..

i-ThxmgG4-XL.jpg

By the time the show was over we were completely ready to crawl into the bags and get some sleep..

John

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Thank you for sharing this great trip and all of the photos. I am working on a plan to loop down through Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico, then hit the Western States on the way back to WA. This is awesome inspiration. :)

scarysharkface

Explorer
Thank you for sharing this great trip and all of the photos. I am working on a plan to loop down through Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico, then hit the Western States on the way back to WA. This is awesome inspiration. :)

Thanks! I've been awful about finishing this, I know. Work and home have both been busy and I just haven't carved out the time to even surf ExPo. Gotta change that.

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
July 5th and we head out to drive some trails..

i-h3pckzF-XL.jpg

i-pr5kQP4-XL.jpg

Colin with the makeshift inclinometer..

i-x5SVRxN-XL.jpg

i-FT27Dkx-XL.jpg

i-C7vpXhn-XL.jpg

i-2c3mC65-XL.jpg

Beautiful views..

i-HMWX5Gr-XL.jpg

i-pp2bdp8-XL.jpg

i-9QL222S-XL.jpg

i-kPSnTdT-XL.jpg

i-x9GjLVg-XL.jpg

i-V5bzFcS-XL.jpg

Some company out on the trail..

i-f3SwszK-XL.jpg

i-Jkjp2t4-XL.jpg

The colors are impressive..

i-BGrrr3w-XL.jpg

More company..

i-skWCgrf-XL.jpg

i-87PfRVz-XL.jpg

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
One of the folks we saw earlier is hung up on the trail. If memory serves, it's either a vapor-lock issue or the ignition..

i-vd368tj-XL.jpg

We clear the trail and kick around a bit while they let the unit cool down..

i-gwN3VwZ-XL.jpg

i-XCPs3z7-XL.jpg

They get it going again and head back down the mountain. We continue upward..

Keep in mind this is July 5th..

i-zB9cw99-XL.jpg

i-h9tF6WW-XL.jpg

i-bXpXckR-XL.jpg

Quick stop at the pit toilet, then this..

i-G5CQgMH-XL.jpg

Saltydog86 from advrider. We camped in the same campground but never met. Planning to meet him this August in Upper Wisconsin..

i-JRrHGsT-XL.jpg

These switchbacks are tight, and I'd hate to have an equipment failure here..

i-gKvtjQW-XL.jpg

Also, one sees a variety of hardware out here..

i-JbPLPfF-XL.jpg

The views are absolutely stunning. Photography doesn't do it justice. At least MY photography doesn't. And the smell of fresh air...

i-hk85ZrT-XL.jpg

i-WBgsWHZ-XL.jpg

Have I mentioned how much I love fuel injection?

i-ndq53wB-XL.jpg

i-PrSQNhQ-XL.jpg

It's still fairly early in the day, but the skies are starting to get all kinds of dark. The weather, as you folks are well aware, changes quickly up here..

i-rxq42sN-XL.jpg

i-fn7BhXq-XL.jpg

I love this stuff. I absolutely love it..

i-QtwGmj2-XL.jpg

The folks on these four wheelers looked cold and miserable. We're happy to be in the Jeep and not on the motorcycles today, although I'm thinking this is a perfect KLR road..

i-SgR78Xb-XL.jpg

We wait out a storm. 30 minutes can seem like a long time on the side of a mountain with lightning all around..

DSC2858-XL.jpg

But it passes..

i-4qmNwct-XL.jpg

This is a harsh environment to earn a living, but then I'm sure it's glorious when the sun is shining..

i-8nsgrZf-XL.jpg

Scenes such as this remind me a great deal of Southcentral Alaska..

i-DszjLH7-XL.jpg

More company..

i-2tTmvZz-XL.jpg

We continue our slog to the top..

i-67ckRNC-XL.jpg

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
Awesome.

i-D3WPF2V-XL.jpg

And we're there...

i-5cC23w2-XL.jpg

i-N9qbBzh-XL.jpg

i-Ktc4t4z-XL.jpg

DSC28751-XL.jpg

i-H6TfNLp-XL.jpg

DSC2882-XL.jpg

i-g7rj6Ck-XL.jpg

Lots of people out today..

i-qGW8nKj-XL.jpg

These couple of pictures are way out of sequence I think, looking back on Animas Forks. I guess I need to work on my sorting.. ;)

i-KMcdnfK-XL.jpg

i-2Z6zxHk-XL.jpg

Whatever. Here's another beauty shot..

i-gq9BQjQ-XL.jpg

John

nranger05

John, you and your family are an inspiration. I am taking off in June for Oregon, Idaho & Montana and only hope to be as dedicated in taking photos as you have been. Thanks for the pictorial story.

Tom

scarysharkface

Explorer
Beautiful country..

i-QRZc5sd-XL.jpg

i-6b2ttFM-XL.jpg

Cinnamon Pass..

i-sPCfsWp-XL.jpg

i-jX6m74X-XL.jpg

i-V9CQbQ3-XL.jpg

We hit these switchbacks and I'm amazed how slippery they are. I have to be very careful getting the front end around each tight corner. It feels like it just wants to go straight. I go very slow and it's okay. Doesn't look like it should be slick though, so I wonder what's up with that?

i-prgrShP-XL.jpg

i-cD8wJ8B-XL.jpg

i-c84s6GG-XL.jpg

We motor along slowly, taking it all in..

i-BFtqf4L-XL.jpg

i-htrF5DN-XL.jpg

i-DKRm3Tx-XL.jpg

Okay, something's DEFINITELY WRONG.

I pull to the side of the road at a wide spot, chock the rear wheels with a couple of good-sized rocks and have a look-see..

DSC2897-XL.jpg

Aw, pooo! The front trackbar mount has liberated itself from the front axle housing. I guess there is little choice but to remove as much as I can and figure out how to nurse this thing down the mountain.

DSC2900-XL.jpg

DSC2902-XL.jpg

The locals just watch while enjoying some snacks..

DSC2903-XL.jpg

i-V4sfH6s-XL.jpg

It sure looks as though this has been mostly-broken forever. That's sure not good. Happily it failed at a very low speed instead of out on the highway somewhere in the mountains. Unhappily it failed pretty far from civilization. C'est la vie..

i-3Z8Gwnz-XL.jpg

Colin and Tracy are anticipating some big fun now. It's all over their faces..

i-hXjCtKV-XL.jpg

I nurse the poor beast down the mountain at a crawl. A little bit of planning and a lot of patience and the only things frayed are my nerves. A couple had passed while I was working on it and had notified the sheriff that we were having problems on the mountain. An hour or more later and we were able to meet him at wide pullout. A wrecker was enroute, and we all had visions of losing the house to pay for this.

i-xMx79pw-XL.jpg

We enjoyed the time, taking pictures and just generally acting like the flatlanders we are, having a time in the mountains..

i-Xs9SRbd-XL.jpg

i-sStd3br-XL.jpg

i-BjrrVD4-XL.jpg

i-gfgbMJ7-XL.jpg

i-RKhm6xR-XL.jpg

i-pZVcfdW-XL.jpg

More to come..

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member