The Grand Adventure - Back to Africa!!!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Last night we had the pleasure to attend the largest local 4x4 club quarterly event. It was nice to meet some other people who shares the same passion.

Some of you would have died seeing the variety of trucks in the parking lot...Defender, Patrol, Land Cruiser, Hi-Lux...

Check out their website:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
we are finally on the road...!!! we left Cape Town Saturday and we are now in Springbok, nearby the Namibian border. we had to make an unplanned stop over here as the clutch slave cylinder gave up on my truck - the first real issue I had ever with this truck. we will be ordering one tomorrow - there is only one dealership in town and guess what...it's a Toyota. So we should be fine.

:)

more details on the website...

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
and just for fun (and for future references...), here is the list of everything we've done on the truck over the last 2 weeks:

-new rear shocks
-new suspension bushings all around (24 total I think)
-fixed leak (new weld) on one of the 2 auxiliary water tanks
-replaced water filler cap
-build a bench seat that folds into a bed
-replaced 12V water pump
-replaced struts for the poptop
-welded hi-lift jacking points(tubes) for the front bumper
-bought 4 new BFG A/T
-installed alarm system
-finished tinting windows
-put new curtains
-installed snaps for front curtains (using Westfalia wrap-around windshield curtain)
-build and install rack for Camp Master 12V fridge
-repainted front bumper
-build small roof rack
-installed propane tanks and pipe fitting for rear stove
-installed fender flares
-fixed interior dome light

i think that's it...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We are in Namibia!!!

well, the adventure has really started now. After heading south to Cape of Good Hope (and breaking the door hinges because of the strong wind....) we turned around and head North toward Namibia. We spend the last 6 days on the road, going through the Northern part of Namibia, crossing wonderful deserts and watching our first wildlife.

I have already way too much to write, so i'll just resume here briefly...

the good:

Everything:
the sceneries in Namibia are fantastic.
The dunes are georgous!
Wild horses
we meet wonderful people everywhere.
the truck is doing great
Windhoek is the mecca of overlanding. You should see all the trucks here.
Luderitz (http://www.luderitz.info/)
Kolmanskop
Bushwacked camp (http://www.bushwhacked.co.za/map.htm)
Chameleon Backpackers in Windhoek (http://www.chameleonbackpackers.com/)

the bad:
less than 1 hour after touching Windhoek (the capital of Namibia), someone managed to stole my personal bag from the truck. I lost my camera, camcorder and Iphone. About 30 minutes later, Marc also realised that his bag was gone...the bag that contained all of his clothes...

Luckily they did not take any of the SLR equipment or passport/wallet.
Everyone in South Africa had warned us about Windhoek, but despite of our attention, alarm system and locked door, they managed to find the timing to get in. We absolutely have no clue when/how it happened, we were doing errants between a few shops at the time.

Anyway, we're good now, getting more supplies and heading back on the road tomorrow hopefully.

I wish I could share pictures...but someone else must be enjoying them right now.

going for a well deserved beer now...

B07NA-SossusvleiDune2.jpg

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Zut!

OK, Merde!

I lost all of my cameras (and film) at the hotel in Maun. Leave NOTHING in the car. (Including the car! :Wow1:)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We are still in Windhoek and heading back on the road tomorrrow!
I had to rebuild the clutch master cylinder that started leaking about a week after I replaced the slave....we found a local 4x4 repairs shop specialized in Land Cruiser...you should have seen the yard....

By the way I don't think I have ever seen that many variety of Land Cruiser/Land Rover in one town!

We also met some other overlanders. One couple travelled down the east coast and another one down the West Coast. They are both heading back up on the opposite coast they came down....I expect to see them again on the road.

Here's their website:

http://cesty.mexikano.cz/onas.html

We also saw a guy overlanding with a 4-wheel ATV and a small trailer/camper in the back...we thought we were hallucinating...

I got some pictures from Marc's camera for you!

562629030_dW6V6-L.jpg

562636923_8CnhF-L.jpg

562640419_NY9LX-L.jpg

562633367_goX4j-L.jpg

562643747_funXW-L.jpg

562651048_DdgPr-L.jpg

562651956_o4EA5-L.jpg

562654476_bmzQy-L.jpg

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Wow, just wow! Sorry to hear about the theft but looks like you shrugged it off just fine. Keep the pics coming! The Dune shots are nothing short of stunning!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
more about Windhoek

So apparently theft in Windhoek is becoming a major problem.

Since the incident we spoke with several person and about just everyone has a story about it. When Marc went to the police station to give a report, he said the line was filled with people in a similar situation.

Just this morning a Swiss girl was telling us she got robbed at knife point just at the entrance of the hotel, before she can open the gate.

The backpacker place I mentionned before (highly recommended btw) has a couple of interesting signs at the door - I wish I had taken pictures:

-Don't leave you car parked outside, it WILL get broken into

-Try the Windhoek experience: go downtown with your bagpack and get robbed with a knife!

I think the difference with South Africa is that they don't have security guards in the street or parking lot everywhere. I am not sure how efficient they really are but at least they are around.

But despite of this, I must say I liked the city. It really feels like an overlander oasis in the middle of the desert. You can find anything, it's really well organized and we met friendly people.

I would go back, I would just be extra careful!

luangwablondes

Adventurer
Don't let your guard down in Botswana either. From my Botswana website:

"Lock doors, roll up your windows or stay with your vehicle when at rural and urban fuel stations. There has been a marked increase in asset redistribution by alternative shoppers, focusing on foreign license plates and obvious out-of-country visitors. SAffers are a favoured target."

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Don't let your guard down in Botswana either. From my Botswana website:

"Lock doors, roll up your windows or stay with your vehicle when at rural and urban fuel stations. There has been a marked increase in asset redistribution by alternative shoppers, focusing on foreign license plates and obvious out-of-country visitors. SAffers are a favoured target."

thanks for the advice. we are now obsessed with safety...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Bushmanland here we come

we are in Tsumeb, in Northern Namibia, for a quick stop getting supplies and about to embark on another adventure...instead of using the tar road to cross into Botswana, we are using a "shortcut" through bushman land...about 500 km through grass and sand...we've been told that if we break down, not to expect help for a few days...should be interesting.

we have already done over 4000 km, most of it on nice gravel roads criss-crossing Namibia.

this is the border post (Dobe) we are hoping to reach tomorrow

3111461.jpg

more soon....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1