The Grand Adventure - Back to Africa!!!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Zimbabwe Chapter II

As usual, not a day passes by without bringing its share of excitment...and Zimbabwe was no exception.

After Vic Falls, we headed down to Bulawayo down south, then across to Harare and then back up to Mana Pools.

The road to Bulawayo gave us the chance to pay our first bribe...To our complete surprise, Zimbabwe (and Zambia) requires every vehicle to have a reflective tape in the front and the back of the car. Red in the back and Grey/Whitish in the front. So despite of our futile protests, we ended up having to give the courteous policemen a little something to accomodate them...It's one of these situation where you can't win, no matter what. They usually have more time than you do. So the Troopie now bears 2 strips of grey tuck tape in the front, rescued from our tools box....We would repeat the experience with 3 officers in Bulawayo when I illegally stopped the truck in the middle of the road so Marc can get some bananas...

From Bulawayo we went to Maposo park, where we had the chance to visit the rest place of Cecil Rhodes.

583345705_6gpqq-L.jpg

In case you did not know, Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) was named after him...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_Rhodes

583344437_x9J75-L.jpg

583345668_dRZYb-M.jpg

The visit took longer than expected and we found ourselves driving to Harare (about 400 km) at night...huge mistake. As everyone would tell you, you don't drive at night in Africa...especially not for that long. We almost never made it to Harare. About 50 km before reaching the city, Marc and I stopped to switch drivers. A truck that we had been overtaking earlier passed us during the switch. About 2 or 3 km after I had started driving, we came to the scene of a major accident. The truck who had just passed us collided with 2 cars coming in the opposite direction and trying to pass each other. We were the first ones on the scene and if it hadn't been for our imprompty stop, this could have well been the end of the trip for us.

By some incredible miracle no one was seriously hurt. We provided water and directed traffic while all the drivers/passengers were starting to come back to life...

583346649_YFeo6-L.jpg

583346656_BtnUF-M.jpg

After about 30 minutes we left and finally reached Harare around 11 pm, spending a good hour trying to find a hostel that was still open. We ended at a place called "The Rocks" just in time to catch a last drink at their bar with the locals. No need to say we were the only ones camping there that night.

From Harare we headed to Mana Pools. Turned out it was a bit more challenging than expected to find diesel in Harare. We had to visit 5-6 station before finally be able to refill.
583344430_6iFfZ-L.jpg

Mana Pools was all that they had claimed to be and even more. Our campsite was visited by hippos and elephants! There are no fence there...there is a real sense of wilderness and untouched beauty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mana_Pools_National_Park

583349148_F4crf-M.jpg

Our last day in Zimbabwe again brought its share of surprises...
Mana Pools is only about 120 km from the border and Lusaka another 120 on the other side. But what I had expected to be a quite day turned out to be another long one...

A section of the road to Mana Pools is in really bad condition. About 15 km from the exit, we ran into a couple who had trouble with the truck. Their fuel tank was dragging down the road...having lost a nut and twisted the holding strap.
Possessing the right tools and nut, we offered our help. But what I thought would take a few minutes turned out to be a 2 hours engagement...with all the dust/heat/dirt that comes with working under a truck.

With them was also an Irish guy who was hitchhiking to get to the closest fuel station, his friend waiting patiently by his Land Rover down the road. They had spent a few days at Mana Pools and are also heading up to Nairobi. We ended up staying at the same place in Lusaka afterwords and had a blast all together.

So it was about 1pm when we reached the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia. And about 5 pm when we finally left. It was without doubt the most challenging border crossing we've had so far. The kind of passage that makes you wonder why you did not booked an all inclusive tour...I would spare you all the details but let's just say it was the first time we had to deal with a Zimbabwean officer directing the local Interpol office. Apparently the real Interpol - we would never know for sure.

We are now in Lusaka (Zambia) and heading to Malawi. Lusaka is a great city and we are having a fabulous time here. But we are getting a little bit tired of freezing every night so we are going to head a bit faster into Malawi/Mozambique hoping that the temperature will be warmer...I think I wore my shirts twice to far.

---all the pics here:

http://2aroundtheworld.smugmug.com/gallery/8738721_5vn2J/1/583349148_F4crf

Last edited:

luangwablondes

Adventurer
I have some other numbers for John at Livingstone 4x4 if you need to call him.

If you are going up the Great East Rd towards Chipata, be sure to take a side trip to South Luangwa NP. It is another great park to visit. Additionally, there are a couple adventurous tracks to take other then the main road from Chipata. The one North from Petuake is one I really enjoy. Definitely off the beaten path.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
stuck in Lusaka...

well, the leak is getting worst so we are not going anywhere until we can fix it.

Problem is today (Monday) and tomorrow are holidays here so the major shops are closed. We have to wait until Wednesday and hopefully find the part and a shop to repair the steering box.

Right now I am trying to see if the steering box is the same as the newer HJZ78 serie or even FJ serie so we can increase our chance to find the right seal(s). If anyone has info pls let me know!

We are going to try to make the best of it and get a bunch of things done while we are here

thanks

Christian

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
http://www.toyodiy.com/

is your friend, not sure what version vin is on your truck but you'l find it here

then just pick an equivalent year 80 series and compare part numbers.

At the end of the day its an o-ring or seal, most of which are standard parts
from the main bearing and seal manufacturers.

There is a seal kit part number for most steering boxes

If your really stuck we have loads of troopies here in Oman and with the vin I can get the parts and ship.

worth looking at the big nut on top of the steering box first as that one can be tightened to stop leaks, maybe its leaking from there and then running down.

If it is the rear seal the steering rod from the box back up to the steering wheel is pretty solid, so if the seals gone, you may need new bearings or steering rod UJ's too.

Check all associated parts

luangwablondes

Adventurer
Get the part ordered as soon as possible. Lusaka Toyota is not known for stocking everything and it maybe required to order. I had a game viewer sitting for 3 weeks in a bush camp I was managing in North Luangwa National Park because a fuel pump failed and the replacement needed to be sent in from Jozie.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Second on the toyota diy site...

I'm betting seals are close to the same. The nice thing about Toyota is they don't reinvent the wheel for every model, so many parts are used across the board.

...all part of the adventure!

-H- :drool:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
quick update on the situation...The Toyota dealership does not have the rebuild kit in stock (as I expected) and it would take 4-6 weeks to get it...

We found a local engineering shop that specializes in steering/turbo/seals. They are working on it as we speak. The owner confirmed what I suspected, there might be a chance that the shaft is "eaten" and it would need to be "refilled" before installing a new bearing/seal. They have to remove the whole thing anyway to check it all. Not the kind of job I can do in the backpacker parking lot like the clutch master cylinder I did in Windhoek...unfortunately....$$$

We will have more details later - we're still hoping to hit the road again tomorrow...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Can I get my Malawi visa at the border...?

well the truck has been fixed and it seems like it's not leaking anymore.

we are hoping to get to the border tomorrow but our friend has been told that we must get our visa here in Lusaka first at the Embassy. For $100US. Ouch. I was under the impression we could get it at the border (Chipata).

if anyone has info, please let me know...

thanks!!!

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Fwiw

A visa in the PPT before you leave town is much, much better than showing up at a border to play the lottery.

My $0.02. YMMV :)

luangwablondes

Adventurer
Malawi is one of the easy border experiences- normally. You take care of immigration, customs, the usual stuff in one office. 3rd party insurance guy can be a stinker if you aren't on top of things. Like setting your vehicle in a different catagory to collect more $$, once you find his box, I mean office. Never had seen a real vehicle search except for when people were nasty to the officialdom.

One thing- may have changed- they had monetary controls that limit the amount of their currency taken out of the country, which would just about hit anyone who thought they could just go cross the border and exchange their excess when they leave Malawi. You had to declare it.

luangwablondes

Adventurer
I asked the question from people who work in Lilongwe-
"What are the current visa fees for Canadians, Brits, Americans and the French entering from Chipata?"

The response - "Its visa free for these nations when entering into Malawi---"

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
All right we showed up back at the Embassy today and indeed Canadians don't need a visa but apparently south korean does. She is there right now waiting for it. If she gets it today we are leaving this afternoon for Malawi, otherwise we will leave today.

thanks all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1