The great white fun hog (another white GM awd build)

tqawd

Hi Hobbs,
Welcome. I actually have a rough country setup and some white GM keys, PM if you are interested. I ended up going with 3/4 ton springs instead. I also fit 285's at stock height. Still working on my final suspension setup though.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
In your opinion, using the factory wheels, was the 265 series tire the largest that would fit, or would some 285's sneak in there?
Opinion only. Yes 285's would make it on the stock wheels. I have no way to compress my suspension easily to take measurements but it looks like there is still some space in there at full lock.
It may require some delicate use of a BFH though:elkgrin:

Hobbs67

Thanks for the offer on the Rough Country set up and the other keys, but I was able to find a new kit (super cheap...) on craigslist from a guy that bought it, and never installed it on the truck, and then sold the truck.

Darkrider

Adventurer
Sorry for digging this up but def subscribed for future updates! I already blame this thread for causing me to look at the CLD panels and Hulliner material..same with the Blue Sea ACR...just so i understand that device properly...it basically functions as an isolator between main batteries and house bank correct?

boardrider247

Sorry for digging this up but def subscribed for future updates! I already blame this thread for causing me to look at the CLD panels and Hulliner material..same with the Blue Sea ACR...just so i understand that device properly...it basically functions as an isolator between main batteries and house bank correct?

Hey no worries. I wish I had some progress to report but so far this summer all I have been doing is using the van. Which I guess is a good thing.

The ACR is essentially a smart switch. It only allows a charge to go to the house battery when the starting battery is above 13 volts, and it will not allow the house battery to discharge the starting battery so that you don't end up stranded.
This explains it better then I do.
https://www.bluesea.com/resources/1366

Darkrider

Adventurer
Hey no worries. I wish I had some progress to report but so far this summer all I have been doing is using the van. Which I guess is a good thing.

The ACR is essentially a smart switch. It only allows a charge to go to the house battery when the starting battery is above 13 volts, and it will not allow the house battery to discharge the starting battery so that you don't end up stranded.
This explains it better then I do.
https://www.bluesea.com/resources/1366
That link definitely helped! If I understand correctly, The Acr does the same functions as an isolator or solenoid in a dual battery setup but is self contained and less hassle since it switches modes on its own. Def need to give some thought towards one...now another question for ya how many CLD panels did you end up using in your van?

boardrider247

now another question for ya how many CLD panels did you end up using in your van?

I will have to take a look at my order, I think they come in boxes of 20 or 25. And I ordered three boxes but didn't use them all. I think right around 50 or 60.

Darkrider

Adventurer
I will have to take a look at my order, I think they come in boxes of 20 or 25. And I ordered three boxes but didn't use them all. I think right around 50 or 60.
Not bad, will def need to take a look at the suppliers site again and consider ordering them, def a cheaper alternative to ordering a dynamat or fatmat kit

boardrider247

Looks like I ordered 80 and have a bunch left. Also at the end I started using extra just to try and use them up.
I would say a full size standard wheelbase van could be done with 60.

Darkrider

Adventurer
Looks like I ordered 80 and have a bunch left. Also at the end I started using extra just to try and use them up.
I would say a full size standard wheelbase van could be done with 60.

So its safe to say that an Astro could be done with a bit less...good to know!

boardrider247

:mixed-smiley-030:

I'll maybe post some pics tomorrow but I think I am going to abandon my pop top project.
I'm unhappy with how it is turning out and after working on it regularly for the last week it is Becoming obvious that I may simply be lacking the skills to complete this with a high enough level of finish to be satisfied.

So if anyone has a line on a boneyard fiberglass high top for a standard wheelbase GM van let me know. I would be willing to travel for the right deal. Or if someone wanted this VW top which has been modified some it's ready for the next person to give it a shot.

boardrider247

Just dropped a check in the mail for a 24" fierbine bubble top.
By FAR the most expensive mod I have ever done on a vehicle but I think it will be worth it.

NYCO

Adventurer
I think it'll be worth it to have the high top. If my van didn't have as many miles as it does I would bite the bullet and get a high top too. It would just be nice to stand up and walk around a little bit.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
After having a Hightop you'll never want a pop top. Its so much better in cold weather, gives you more storage and needs no maintenance or extra cleaning/drying after a trip.

Are you going to put windows in the top? I didn't. Full insulation and full stealth mode.

e7df0ec51cd8b53a0b88468af6e1835c.jpg

philos

Explorer
Isn't that a sign of adulty-ness? Knowing your limits, and the foresight to do what will make you happiest in the long run? I may be catching that...

Congrats :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1