The great white fun hog (another white GM awd build)

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
always wondering ... when the cross members are removed from the roof, what holds the van sides from "pup-tenting"???

Best I can tell the fiberglass top holds everything in place. I cut the cross members out with a sawzall and the blade did not bind at all, nor spring apart. I am adding a aluminium C channel around the opening tied into what is left of the cros members to add some additional support. However I don't think it is 100% nescessary.

boardrider247

First off apologies for the terrible pics and not much better descriptions in this post. If anyone has specific questions about how I did this shoot me a PM and I'll do my best to answer them.

I did take some in progress pics of the interior finishing. But they are mostly garbage. I'll post them up anyways and try my best to describe how I did this. There are a million ways to deal with the junction between the fiberglass top and the cut van roof. My way is not the easiest. I do feel that I ended up with a very strong and OK looking final product.

I started out by framing in the opening with a aluminum C channel. The C captures what is left of the original cross members as well as the 1/2" plywood strip I had previously screwed to the bottom side of the cross members. I welded the 4 corners together once in place for strength. No pics of the welds because I am not very proud of them :snorkel:

I with the new aluminum frame in place I bridged the gap between the aluminum and cut sheet metal of the van roof with 3/8" plywood strips around the opening.
IMG_20150829_122051 by Danny Knowlan, on Flickr

IMG_20150829_150325 by Danny Knowlan, on Flickr

IMG_20150830_115504 by Danny Knowlan, on Flickr

Everything was sprayed with a healthy coat of NOX rust before it was closed up.

That is where I am leaving the top side until I can insulate the whole top. I'm planning on using 3/4" Armaflex for the whole thing, probably with a layer of reflectix over it just because I have a whole roll of it left.

The bottom side of the opening I did finish and re cover with hull liner.

This is looking up from the floor of the van. I covered all the bare metal with a layer of foil faced mastic tape. This covered the factory holes and smoothed them out. It also seals any screws when you run them through it.
IMG_20150830_112227 by Danny Knowlan, on Flickr

IMG_20150830_112237 by Danny Knowlan, on Flickr

Again this is looking up. I had to replace a 2" wide strip of hull liner. It was a pain in the *** and I don't feel like it turned out as well as the first time I did it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/boardrider247/21025519121/in/photostream/

And this is what I ended up with.
IMG_20150831_182857 by Danny Knowlan, on Flickr

IMG_20150831_182925 by Danny Knowlan, on Flickr

IMG_20150831_184452 by Danny Knowlan, on Flickr

IMG_20150831_184512 by Danny Knowlan, on Flickr

fritz

Traveler
What is your standing height inside the van now?

I am 6'2" and trying to figure out if I could stand up in a high top.

TIA

Fritz

david.lemke

Adventurer
I have installed a 18 inch high top on my van, I'm 6 foot and am a inch from the roof hitting my head, 24 inch high top I would recommend minimal for you height

boardrider247

What is your standing height inside the van now?

I am 6'2" and trying to figure out if I could stand up in a high top.

TIA

Fritz

It seems about 6'3"+
I'm 6'3" and if I stand perfectly straight up my hair just grazes the highest part of the roof.
I'll try to actually measure it when I get a minute

boardrider247

I was able to grab some recycled rubber flooring that was leftover from a job.
It is very nice heavy duty stuff my hope is that it will dampen some of the road noise when the van is unloaded.
I decided to attach it to my existing flooring rather then the metal floor. This should mean that it remains removable.

First pulled my bed rug out and cleaned it good with a alcohol cleaner
2015-12-31_01-23-22 by Danny Knowlan, on Flickr

Then sprayed a layer of 3M rubberized undercoating on the floor for good measure
2015-12-31_01-23-01 by Danny Knowlan, on Flickr

This is the flooring
2015-12-31_01-19-23 by Danny Knowlan, on Flickr

2015-12-31_01-19-34 by Danny Knowlan, on Flickr

Layed down a layer of glue onto the bed rug and done
2015-12-31_11-50-33 by Danny Knowlan, on Flickr

Not the best looking but for a cost of 0$ to me I'll take it

iridewheelies

Adventurer
Have you insulated and trimmed the top yet? I'm starting work on mine now and I was hoping to learn from anyone whose already done it.

I have a big roll of thinsulate for insulation. Thinking about gluing in some wood strips to anchor insulation and the trim panels.

boardrider247

Have you insulated and trimmed the top yet? I'm starting work on mine now and I was hoping to learn from anyone whose already done it.

I have a big roll of thinsulate for insulation. Thinking about gluing in some wood strips to anchor insulation and the trim panels.
Not yet, I have a roll of 3/4" armaflex I will use. Just trying to find the time.

Any noticeable difference in temperature with the topper?
With the high top uninsulated it is definitely colder in the winter. I did not notice much additional heat gain in the summer.

North

Observer
Ouray and Silverton eh? Good spots to visit! Really like that shot of the ice park.

Quick question - how does the van do in terms of condensation buildup in the winter months? Do you find that the added moisture from wet ski gear creates problems overnight? I'm planning to use my van as a ski trip mobile (much in the way that you use yours) and am wondering if heat + open roof vent will be enough to keep the interior dry.

boardrider247

Ouray and Silverton eh? Good spots to visit! Really like that shot of the ice park.

Quick question - how does the van do in terms of condensation buildup in the winter months? Do you find that the added moisture from wet ski gear creates problems overnight? I'm planning to use my van as a ski trip mobile (much in the way that you use yours) and am wondering if heat + open roof vent will be enough to keep the interior dry.

We only spent a couple nights in the van this trip. With my wife and I plus two 70# dog's the van is just a little small to winter camp for extended periods.
On the way home though Sat with my wet gear and all of us sleeping in the van the condensation wasn't much at all. Nothing developed on the windshield to speak of.
I left the window on the top open about 4" and after driving with the heat/defrost on for half a hour everything was dry again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1