The saga of my 98 Discovery...

ExpoScout

Explorer
You could pull that most likely non working clock for a spot and then you have the ash tray-cubby spots for a few others. A small panel where the POS cup tray slides out would be pretty nice. Get the DII cupholders and put them on the console if you want a cup holder that actualy holds something. It's on my to-do list, right after "install new floor":snorkel:

Good ideas...
I'll take a look at those

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
You could pull that most likely non working clock for a spot and then you have the ash tray-cubby spots for a few others. A small panel where the POS cup tray slides out would be pretty nice. Get the DII cupholders and put them on the console if you want a cup holder that actualy holds something. It's on my to-do list, right after "install new floor":snorkel:

You can also buy the panel that eliminates the ashtray and coin holder and replaces them with three LR genuine switches.

I fabbed up a little plate to mount gauges on that is attached to my battery tray(1/8" steel used to make dual battery tray). Theres a plate that houses the large in line fuse, blue seas fusebox, and dual battery controller. Another plate houses the gauges

-Sam

ExpoScout

Explorer
After looking at it, I think that removing the slide out cup holder assy is going to be the best way to do it. Then I'll just make a panel that hangs down at an angle below that. Just not so low as to interfere with the transfer case shifter.

Also just ordered a bunch more parts. I'll update as things come in but here's the list of what was ordered:

-lower radiator hose (already had the upper)
-driver side exhaust manifold (cracks in the one thats on there...though it wasn't leaking YET)
-thermostat and gasket x2 (spares are a good thing)
-couple exhaust manifold gaskets (upper and lower)
-brass radiator plug
-magnetic drain plugs for the differentials
-new oil pressure switch
-new coolant temp sensor
-10 lug nuts
-oil drain plug washers
-ARB indicator light kit (one of mine is beyond serviceable)
-D2 cupholders

Thats it for now, but things should be moving along fairly quickly.

Storz

Explorer
Where did you order the lugs from? I want to switch mine from the fancy capped kind to regular lugs

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
You don't say where you ordered the parts, but if they are US spec thermostats I've found the correct temp is 180F.
If they are OEM then they'll be 88C which is correct.

ExpoScout

Explorer
So for a little bit of an update:

I got the D2 cupholders, new exhaust manifold, and gaskets in from Roverguy...incredibly fast I might add.

Installed the cupholders (yes, priority, I know) and just waiting on some other parts before I freshen up the cooling system. The manifold/gaskets will go on in the next couple days as well.

I'll get some updated pictures of the state of things soon.

rover4x4

Adventurer
Ive gotten thermostats at Auto Zone, they seem to be happier with the 180, I think stock is ~195. Did you check you fan clutch?

ExpoScout

Explorer
Ive gotten thermostats at Auto Zone, they seem to be happier with the 180, I think stock is ~195. Did you check you fan clutch?

I didn't have any luck finding any thermostats locally. But then again I didn't check Autozone. Just NAPA, O'Reilly's, and Advance...

Haven't checked the fan clutch. Though the cooling issues might just be that the 255/85s are giving the engine too much of a strain.

Which leads to my next question....regear or smaller tires? I'm thinking smaller tires as I really don't NEED 255/85s. And they do rub the trailing arms, which is annoying.

ExpoScout

Explorer
I am interested in your tires if you change out to a smaller size. If you want to keep your turning radius you want 235/85.

My main concern is (as witnessed this past weekend) the tires/gearing causing this thing to be a slug going up hills.

Are 235/85s going to make that much of a difference?

And if I decide to sell I will let you know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design