The Toyota Land Cruiser Is Coming Back To America

calicamper

Expedition Leader
There are Tacomas with over 300K on them that are selling for more than they were new....I wouldn't be so sure of that over 300K scrap metal thing.....In that case, the owner got the vehicle for free....

IMO resale on things should be an important factor in what you choose to buy. ...The real cost of what you are buying is the difference between what you paid for it and what you sold it for later, whether its a Car, Truck, Tractor, Lawnmower or anything that can be resold.
I don’t think so… Ever drive 300,000 mile trucks? They are all one loose bolt, worn bearing away from the scrap heap including the Toyotas unless they get a fresh factory crate engine and fresh suspension every 300-350k like taxis do.

Crazy I just rode home in a first gen green Ford hybrid Escape this last week from the airport. Its on engine #2 at 475,000 miles original transmission and hybrids system. Not much different than the Prius I was in a few weeks back at 450,000 and crate engine #2. They all get new crate engines around 320-350 because bearings tend to let go around then. Kinda like my buddy’s old Tacoma that lost a main bearing at 330,000. No his truck wasn’t worth more than new he sold it for $1000 more than scrap because buyer though he might salvage some usable parts.

utherjorge

Observer
Well yes and no. If you pay attention to overall cost of ownership it usually makes sense to buy a new Toyota and keep it 10 years, it’s still worth something when you sell it. But I agree a vehicle is just a hole you throw money into…😆
I agree, except for this, which I was just speaking to someone about yesterday. I want to get into offroading. Or overlanding. Or....you know what I mean. But I don't know what I know. So I'd like to get a base Jeep, or Bronco, or Taco, etc. (Actually, that's about it, but I digress....again). I go out in the woods and I think that the base rig is just right.

Or...man, I don't like getting stuck. Or...man, I drive 6 hours to get to the next meetup, I'd like more comfort on the drive. I'm going to leap platforms. Or I'm going to go up a trim level.

In these cases, which definitely happen, resale value matters. As much as a vehicle absolutely is a depreciating asset, the fact that some hold value much better can have a big impact down the line.

utherjorge

Observer
There are Tacomas with over 300K on them that are selling for more than they were new....I wouldn't be so sure of that over 300K scrap metal thing.....In that case, the owner got the vehicle for free....

IMO resale on things should be an important factor in what you choose to buy. ...The real cost of what you are buying is the difference between what you paid for it and what you sold it for later, whether its a Car, Truck, Tractor, Lawnmower or anything that can be resold.
Respectfully, there's no way that this is true. Especially when you figure in inflation and all that. They hold value, but let's not get crazy here.

T-Willy

I'm not saying its not a "Land Cruiser" or doesn't qualify to be one. My point is that now that TNGA-F is being used across LX600, GX550, Sequoia, Tundra, Tacoma, LC250, and eventually 4Runner we don't NEED TO OBSESS over the "Land Cruiser" name anymore. As in, do we need 14 pages of is this a Land Cruiser or not a Land Cruiser like this thread? The lines are blurred between GX550, LC250, and future 4Runner now more than ever. Previously the lines were very defined between the LC100/200 versus GX470/460 and 4/5th gen 4R.

Like I said, you could have slapped 6th gen 4Runner on the LC250 and I would have believed it. If the 6th gen 4R is going to have the same size axles, axle ratio, suspension & steering components, brakes and same frame as the LC250 then it's going to be a very attractive platform. My guess is that the 6th gen 4R will offer a non-hybrid option and be part time 4WD to differentiate itself and keep costs down. It will likely be $10-15K cheaper and it actually may be a good alternative to those that feel $55k is out of their budget. If the above happens, personally, I'd rather have a 4R non-hybrid, part time 4WD, with rear locker (likely SR5 with TRD-OR package, although Toyota trim and nomenclature can be confusing) than say the LC250 1958. More cargo space and potentially higher payload without the hybrid battery system in the rear. That would be my preferred "poverty" spec.

The GX550, LC250, and 6th gen 4R can essentially be seen as one vehicle now. It just depends on what powertrain, drivetrain, amount of luxury, trim/option, looks and price bracket fits the buyer.

I don't think the GX550, 250 and 6th gen 4-Runner will be as similar as you imply, at least not dimensionally.

I'll be surprised if 4-runner does not retain a 109.8" wheelbase. If anything, I expect shorter.

I will be very surprised if Toyota gives 4-runner the 112" wheelbase shared among 250, 300, GX and LX (and 80, 100, and 200 series).

This positions the 250 (larger mid-sized) squarely between 4-runner (smaller mid-sized) and Sequoia (full-sized) in the US market. It's back to the 1990s, but with the addition of a full sized wagon.

But, it'll all be fun to see.

utherjorge

Observer
I don't think the GX550, 250 and 6th gen 4-Runner will be as similar as you imply, at least not dimensionally.

I'll be surprised if 4-runner does not retain a 109.8" wheelbase. If anything, I expect shorter.

I will be very surprised if Toyota gives 4-runner the 112" wheelbase shared among 250, 300, GX and LX (and 80, 100, and 200 series).

This positions the 250 (larger mid-sized) squarely between 4-runner (smaller mid-sized) and Sequoia (full-sized) in the US market. It's back to the 1990s, but with the addition of a full sized wagon.

As before, excellent post that will surely prove to be correct. As many on this thread don't realize, but HAS been posted multiple places, including here...the 112" wheelbase is essential to the LC.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Wandered over here from the robust Nissan section of the forum and this is pretty entertaining.

It is a Land Cruiser because Toyota owns the trademark and is calling it that. Seems pretty simple.

I would still be tempted to get a "it's basically a Land Cruiser" sticker that I ran on my GX just to watch the total melt down of people with their personality wrapped up in a vehicle they had nothing to do with from engineering to design to building to shipping etc.

I could see buying one of these if I go back to a SUV. Semi reasonable price and a very unlike Toyota drivetrain that for once may have decent power while still getting decent mileage. For too long they've made engines that get poor mileage relative to their power and this will be a nice change.

Fun era of vehicles right now.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I don’t think so… Ever drive 300,000 mile trucks? They are all one loose bolt, worn bearing away from the scrap heap including the Toyotas unless they get a fresh factory crate engine and fresh suspension every 300-350k like taxis do.

Crazy I just rode home in a first gen green Ford hybrid Escape this last week from the airport. Its on engine #2 at 475,000 miles original transmission and hybrids system. Not much different than the Prius I was in a few weeks back at 450,000 and crate engine #2. They all get new crate engines around 320-350 because bearings tend to let go around then. Kinda like my buddy’s old Tacoma that lost a main bearing at 330,000. No his truck wasn’t worth more than new he sold it for $1000 more than scrap because buyer though he might salvage some usable parts.
Well, here are 401 over 200K listed on auto trader, some of them priced more or close to new cost. I would say these owners did ok with resale. Vehicles are depreciating assets, reducing your depreciation risk is smart to factor in the actual cost of ownership.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
Respectfully, there's no way that this is true. Especially when you figure in inflation and all that. They hold value, but let's not get crazy here.
You spent 13,500 for a tacoma new in 2000, drove it for 24 years and sold it for 14,000...it happens. I get it, the inflation dollar matrix etc. I'm pretty sure you would feel much better about getting back all the money that you put in, than the guy that did the same thing and was paid $500 to drag it off the property.

My point was that considering resale value in vehicles purchases is a thing, and IMO its a smart way of thinking. I consider it in almost everything I purchase and it has saved tons of money over the years.

Last edited:

sn_85

Observer

I don't think the 6gen 4R will get shorter. It's either staying the same or moving up to 112" to streamline production. If they make it shorter that means they won't offer an off-road SUV with a 3rd row other than Sequoia, GX or LX which have higher starting prices. I still think Toyota wants to offer a 3rd row option for an entry level off-road SUV in the form of an SR5 4Runner. Its apparent Toyota wants to make parts commonality a thing now so I wouldn't be surprised if the 4R is based off the GX550/LC250 in a cheaper package. I will say this though, this generation of Toyota trucks and SUVs is full of surprises and as they head in a new direction. So my guess, your guess are as good as any until we see the reveal.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Well, here are 401 over 200K listed on auto trader, some of them priced more or close to new cost. I would say these owners did ok with resale. Vehicles are depreciating assets, reducing your depreciation risk is smart to factor in the actual cost of ownership.

Lol You can ask any price you want. Doesn’t mean buyers are paying that. House up the street sold for 900k less than the asking price but the asking price was over 1 mill more than any comparable sold price in the area 😆. Asking prices are just fantasy. Actual transaction money is the reality

nickw

Adventurer
That's impossible, they aren't built on the LC platform with giant tie rods. ;)
I have a buddy with 400k on his Tacoma, I had 150k on mine, awesome rigs zero issues and still felt pretty tight, I sold mine for what I bought it for.....but my 3rd buddy had nothing but issues, why, because he was using it as a farm truck and beating the hell out of it, constant tie-rods, steering racks, front CV's and more than one front Diff. Use case matters! The conditions a LC was traditionally built and engineered for it would have likely stood up a lot better.

An overloaded Tacoma is going to have a lot more issues that a sim. overloaded LC.

nickw

Adventurer
Anyone who buys a vehicle with any sort of resale justification isn’t a financially wealthy person. Vehicles are a cost center not a profit center. Any consumer vehicle with 300,000 miles on it is basically scrap metal. If its still running reliably at that point the owner is just winning the financial game better than the guy buying new every 3yrs.
You need to go look at the used LC market if you think that....but that was kind of my point, consumers spend big $ on big mile LC's, the word is out....I won't do it, but the legacy is there.

nickw

Adventurer
You spent 13,500 for a tacoma new in 2000, drove it for 24 years and sold it for 14,000...it happens. I get it, the inflation dollar matrix etc. I'm pretty sure you would feel much better about getting back all the money that you put in, than the guy that did the same thing and was paid $500 to drag it off the property.

My point was that considering resale value in vehicles purchases is a thing, and IMO its a smart way of thinking. I consider it in almost everything I purchase and it has saved tons of money over the years.
I bought my Tacoma for $15k in 2001 with 35k on the clock, 5 spd, TRD, I miss it every day.....sold it for $14k with 150k....thing felt solid. I had it sold within a day after 20 emails, guy showed up with an envelop full of cash.

My dad had a Ranger at the same time, bought for $12kish, sold for $5k, tranny went out a week after guy bought it so my dad gave him back $1k.

N=1 doesn't prove the point, but that was my experience.

Dougnuts

Let's not forget about supply and demand here folks, that's an important part of the equation. Similar example: FJCruiser

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy