The Toyota Land Cruiser Is Coming Back To America

MotoDave

Explorer
I'm really skeptical of that 27 mpg number - I think someone in their marketing dept may have copy pasted a little too quickly from the Grand Highlander press release, which also claims 27 mpg hwy. I can't imagine the land cruiser with larger tires and worse aero getting the same mpg.

They also havent posted any mpg extimates for the tacoma which should do better.

utherjorge

Observer
I'm really skeptical of that 27 mpg number - I think someone in their marketing dept may have copy pasted a little too quickly from the Grand Highlander press release, which also claims 27 mpg hwy. I can't imagine the land cruiser with larger tires and worse aero getting the same mpg.

They also havent posted any mpg extimates for the tacoma which should do better.
That copy pasta idea actually makes sense. I have seen the same question posted around and about now: HOW CAN THIS BE TRUE?

Considering the Tesla nonsense that has been allowed to fly, will all automakers go back to overestimating EPA numbers? Like...by a lot? We shall see.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I agree with this. For some reason it seems that the Tundra has the least amount of features and lowest QC of any of the new Toyota TNGA-F vehicles. Its ugly, no tow hooks, complaints of cheap interior, lacks off-road goodies of other vehicles, etc etc. I think the soon to be released Tacoma is a bit more refined and feature packed than the Tundra. It's almost like the Tundy was the guinea pig of the platform and those that bought into the Tundra early on kinda got skunked. If I'm looking for a Tundra I'd probably wait for a mid-cycle refresh so it can catch up to the Tacoma and Sequoia.
LoL just had a thought. Toyota will probably use tow hooks to differentiate between the 4 runner and the LC😆😆. You want tow hooks? Oh you need the LC then 🤦‍♂️😆

MotoDave

Explorer
That's every Toyota truck/suv. They have always had terrible power to mpg in all their body on frame vehicles.
I'm not sure that's really true, I think they are competitive when they first release it, they just have such a long update cycle that they're woefully outdated when at the end of life cycle. I'm thinking of the 2nd gen Tundra - it was on par with other 1/2 ton trucks in 2007, its just that they didn't update the powertrain until last year, while Ford/Chevy/Ram went through 3-4 update cycles with efficiency improvements.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure that's really true, I think they are competitive when they first release it, they just have such a long update cycle that they're woefully outdated when at the end of life cycle. I'm thinking of the 2nd gen Tundra - it was on par with other 1/2 ton trucks in 2007, its just that they didn't update the powertrain until last year, while Ford/Chevy/Ram went through 3-4 update cycles with efficiency improvements.
4 cylinder power and V8 gas mileage has been a Toyota mantra since the 80s. I'm personally familiar with a 93 pickup, 89 pickup, 86 4runner, T100, 4.7 tundra, 5.7 Tundra, GX470, and GX470. Real world conditions they have all been pretty hard on gas and I've never been impressed with the power except the 5.7 Tundra (although my Titan is better...ha).

T-Willy

That copy pasta idea actually makes sense. I have seen the same question posted around and about now: HOW CAN THIS BE TRUE?

Considering the Tesla nonsense that has been allowed to fly, will all automakers go back to overestimating EPA numbers? Like...by a lot? We shall see.

But Toyota is not Tesla; Toyota often errs by underestimating mileage, even relative to EPA.

If they're saying 27 mpg combined, it'll likely be 27 mpg combined, if not better.

T-Willy

That's every Toyota truck/suv. They have always had terrible power to mpg in all their body on frame vehicles.

I was talking efficiency and range, not power.

But, I think you meant to say every "U.S. Toyota truck/SUV." Many Land Cruisers in non-U.S. markets were offered with more efficient motors (diesel) and more range (from both efficiency and auxiliary fuel tanks).

The 250 will nearly double the range of a five-gallon jerry (from ~70 to ~135 miles) relative to a U.S. spec 80 series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy