Timing Chain Replacement 1FZ

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
If I'm looking at a '96 FZJ80, 102k miles that the owner claims needs a timing chain replacement... is $5k fair? If so, how much work is involved with a timing chain replacement... I'm assuming it's like any other one, but is there anything special I should know about?

trunk monkey

Generally a timing chain isn't something that gets replaced. I've never heard of one being replaced. Timing BELT, yes - chain, no. At only 102k if the chain needs to be replaced then something more serious may be wrong.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
102k is extremely LOW MILEAGE on a 80 series. That truck should be netting like $9,000. So if you offer $5,000 with or without belt or chain replacement and they go for it, i'd jump on it.

AndrewP

Explorer
Something is wrong. The timing chains just don't need to be replaced. Especially at that mileage. Either the diagnosis was wrong, or the motor suffered some other major failure.

You'll have the head off to replace the timing chain, so you would do the head gasket at the same time. That's a bonus.

If the truck is in non-running condition, I would be very leery of buying it unless you know for sure what is wrong and are confident you can fix it. If non-running, I would offer $2000 and go from there.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I agree with the others about the timing chain - no way. Did the owner say why he thought it needed one or what the symptoms were? 5K for a non running 80 is way too much IMHO.

Now if it turns out to be a headgasket and the rig is very clean, $4K could be a good deal because less than $1000 later you have a great 80 with a new HG. But I would still think you could get it cheaper since it isn't running (the population of people willing to buy a non-running vehicle is very small).

But a timing chain at 100K?!?!?!? No way.

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
I, too, am very skeptical it's a timing chain as I've never really heard of them having to be replaced... I found a cruiser (LX 450) closer to me though, locked, with 150K and I could probably get it for $6500... I really don't need to buy a fixer upper now... I'm assuming with their great rep there isn't too big a difference in 100k and 150k for a cruiser... What would probably need to be done to one with ~150K miles on it, I've heard the birfs, but I really don't know anything about it... Also how much would it cost me to do them myself? I plan on trying to pick up a cruiser in the next month, do a baseline on it, throw on a set of tires, hopefully in time for a big South Dakota trip we've been planning... After an 18 hour drive to Key West with 4 people and gear in a Cherokee I've decided to try an acquire a vehicle quicker... I really don't want to spend 2 weeks in the Cherokee with 5 people... Thanks...

Brian894x4

Explorer
If the owner formerly ever had a 22R series truck, he might be hearing ticking or rattling that indicates to him in his mind that the 80 needs a new timing chain, based on his prior experience, but as mentioned before, the timing chain system on the 1FZ is MUCH better designed than on the later model 22Rs and doesn't usually fail. Especially not at lower mileages.

However, if there's noise, it could be another problem. We'll have to hear more details on how he came to the conclusion. Make sure this isn't a mileage roll back also...do a carfax at the very least.

If the engine is not runnable at all...then it may not be worth it, regardless of the mileage. If you don't do your own work, you'll be looking at many thousands of dollars to do much of anything major to a 1FZ, whether it be a headgasket change or a whole new motor.

However, as far as timing chain failure...stranger things have happened. There's a poor guy on mud that had his 1FZ oil pump drive gear fail, which is exceedingly rare and to make matters worse, this is the one part that cannot be replaced and usually means the block is junk, so he's had to get a whole new engine.

Last edited:

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
It could need a new tensioner or slippers. I wouldn't know without looking at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad