trailer pics

toyrunner95

Explorer
ok guys i know there have been other posts about this but im starting my own anyway, if anyone has or had an off road trailer i would like to see it, a few overview pics and a few special mod pics of each would be nice. i dont know how many of you have them but im thinking of building one. cost of maintenance and building or buying of it woud be nice as well as a few specs, cubic feet of storage, tire size, weight. all that good stuff.
thanks!

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
There are a number of threads on trailers that might help wth some of your questions. But here's my "Horizon" Trailer (photos below) from AdventureTrailers.com.

I don't have the details of capacity on the tip of my tongue but the website should be a good place to find it if you are interested. This is a commercial product of course, but you can see a lot of great engineering and details in this trailer and the Chaser that you might find useful as you plan and build.

HTH,
:sombrero:
Ed

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I recommend using the same tyre size as your rig so you don't have to carry too many spares. I usually carry two spares offroad anyway and with a trailer that uses the same size, I wouldn't have to carry more weight.:friday:

toyrunner95

Explorer
yeah i figured that but i was more interested in the tire size that is typical and why they run them. im going to be changing my tire size, i have 35s which i like the height, but the width is a little cumbersome, i have 14s but i want 12.5 or 13. plus the ones i want get better wear on the road. unlike my sup swmp

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
Off-road trailers

I understand your concerns. I would just like to impress upon you the concept of weight. Keep it to a minimum. The ability to have a trailer that can trail your vehicle movements over and thru the outback is paramount. Keep the length to that of you pulling vehicle or less. Run a suspension that has a variable capacity-air bags or air-shocks. Keep the floor of your trailer the same height or higher then your pulling vehicle. Same with clearance underneath. This way your trailer should be able to go over, around or thru what your vehicle just did. The capacity for water, camping gear and cover of some configuration is something we all are working to improve. Adventure trailers have gone a long way in providing this to a buyer. Myself, I built one. Refer to mine on the CJ-7 Offroad Trailer a few threads back. Pics too.:1888fbbd:

toyrunner95

Explorer
yeah my trailer is going to have to be special, my truck height is alot higher than most of your rigs, the trails in the NW are a little trickier. they arent flat desert roads.

now with that said, this trailer is most likely NOT going on the "trails" with me. its more of a thing to leave at the campground with the tent and anything i dont need to take. if any of you are familier with the NW then the Naches trail will be about the hardest thing that it will be doing. and any stock 4x4 can do that trail with zero damage. so im thinking of a military m416 or a chaser as a platform or a template, i can make a pretty light and sturdy unit without comprimising too much. it will probably have 35s and be shorter than my rig, i have a 122" wheelbase which is hard enough to get around corners up here so a trailer is probably not going to be behind me for the technical trails. but for the camping trips and what not i think i will be ok. with the gears i have in the truck (5.29s) i wont have a problem pulling it. there probably wont be more than 1000 pounds at max. probably 10 gallons of water so theres 80 pounds. maybe another 80pounds of fuel, and the 150 or so of the tent, so theres about 310 pounds.

how much do the adventure trailers weigh loaded and unloaded?

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Here is my Adventure Trailers Chaser #15

47b6d730b3127cce8ce96468272000000036108EatWzFu0cO

Here is a link to 160 photographs of the build. My brother Miles and I spent two days building the trailer. Luckly we were able to build it inside the Adventure Trailers building. Many thanks to Martyn and Mario. Great company to purchase from.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8EatWzFu0cMNU&notag=1

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Here are a few of the KimberleyKamper, now marketed as King Kamper in the US.

There are a whole slew more pics here:

http://www.pbase.com/flydutch/kimberleykamper

Click on the thumbnails to see a larger pic. The very last one at the bottom of the pbase link will open another album with KK Factory photos.

It's for sale, btw.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
DUTCH said:
Here are a few of the KimberleyKamper, now marketed as King Kamper in the US.

There are a whole slew more pics here:

http://www.pbase.com/flydutch/kimberleykamper

Click on the thumbnails to see a larger pic. The very last one at the bottom of the pbase link will open another album with KK Factory photos.

It's for sale, btw.

Saw it on Craigslist this past week. :) Wish I had the cash but you got more in it then I have in all my vehicles!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1