Triumph Tiger Explorer

zolo

Explorer
I guess it is a matter of skill, comfort and riding environment. Of course, this is an example of some of the more extreme riding in my area, but no way would a GS be even remotely close to viable in this ride: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712066

Of course, that's also why most people have multiple bikes. I'm currently setting up my 250 for more extreme riding (haha, that's funny coming from me!) and planning on serious suspension work, and also planning on getting a Vstrom 650 to explore around here as well as having serious range rides with.

Dude, that is the Cove. Once again that place is hard for 4wd built trucks.
You are taking that to a little bit of an extreme. And to say you could "ride' the Cove would be a stretch. Maybe ride some put your foot down navigate slowly though an area but that is a little different than actual riding a motor bike.
There are not many folks who regularly ride the Cove on a bike. I have been many times and seen many 4 wheelers but have never seen a bike in the really rough areas. Those guys went looking for hard core. Rain and the Cove don't mix and add a bike to the mix laughable. That was a miserable ride right there.

Last edited:

sandalscout

Adventurer
As I said, I know that this is an extreme example of riding up here, but it's not far fetched to encounter riding of this type in MANY places in the southeast. There are PLENTY of places that I ride around here that the guys on BMWs turn around and go home early because they know it's going to suck to be on their bike in it, or they don't want to mess up a $15,000+ bike in the process.

Sorry for taking this thread off topic so far guys, again, it all boils down to preferences. If I were riding mostly pavement across the country, any of this larger bikes would be fine for it, but for local riding that's a lot of fun, or anything that is going to take me across borders, I'd rather ride a $3000 bike that I can fix easily myself, or abandon if the situation calls for it.

.... back to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

Triumphdog

Adventurer
It's a good thing we all have choices for what suites us best. From many, many years of riding, I've found that not every bike fits every "body". Kind of like a pair of shoes, or pants. Riding style, body type; riding conditions all play a factor. Personally I like a bike I can whip through sweeping pavement, then hit up fire roads, and trails. Weight is a huge factor for me. Weather we're talking about a quick ride out of the neighborhood, or a long distance ride. Since most of my riding is on pavement I want nibble, quick flip of the wrist response. I've ridden the 800xc, and loved the power band, seat position, and flick ability. Seems like the 1200GS is just a monster of a machine, not to mention the cost!!! Seems like the BMW is overkill unless you're going on a mid life crisis journey.

zolo

Explorer
Seems like the BMW is overkill unless you're going on a mid life crisis journey.

lol funny and sligtly true.
I will say during my solo ride to Pruhoe Bay, AK from ATL. GA, I was loving that rig. I was only 30 so I hope it didnt count as midlife!!!

But you are correct sir different strokes for different folks.

NothingClever

Explorer
570 lbs wet weight ?!?!

Wow....maybe Jimmy Lewis can wheelie it but I'm no Jimmy Lewis.

I'll stick to Austrian, Italian and Japanese dual sports. I DO wish Triumph the best of luck...I think they're a great company.

trailsurfer

Explorer
570 lbs wet weight ?!?!

Wow....maybe Jimmy Lewis can wheelie it but I'm no Jimmy Lewis.

I'll stick to Austrian, Italian and Japanese dual sports. I DO wish Triumph the best of luck...I think they're a great company.

I can tell you that I am no Jimmy Lewis, but I can now wheelie and bunny hop a 1200 GS after my advanced BMW moto training last week. It can be done with a little training.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh