Utah Cruiser Expedition 2010

latinoguy

Adventurer
Great trip write up, and as always killer pics.

Can you share more details on the breakdowns? Why so many flats? Were the trails littered with sidewall busting sharp rocks? sticks?

Did you have have a spare birf for Connor's FZJ80, or was it removed and driven home in 2wd? and loosing a 4 steering nuckle studs? Glad these obstacles didn't deter the trip.

Overall the equipment handled the abuse well and the carnage report was relatively short.Johnny Lange (Wildyoats.com) got sick and headed for home half way through with boiling brake fluid and eventually metal to metal contact on his brakes. But the bulk of the carnage fell on Dave Connors who destroyed 5 tires, broke a birfield and an inner axle, tore the pre-cleaner off his snorkel and the Eezi-Awn tent off his Mule Expedition rack with a highspeed meeting with a tree branch, leaking front axle seal on the opposite side as the broken birf, broken exhaust hangers and lost all 4 lower steering knuckle studs. He took it all in stride and we were able to plug his tires well enough to get him home, and also get the other issues fixed to complete the trip also.

Safaribound

Great trip write up, and as always killer pics.

Can you share more details on the breakdowns? Why so many flats? Were the trails littered with sidewall busting sharp rocks? sticks?

Did you have have a spare birf for Connor's FZJ80, or was it removed and driven home in 2wd? and loosing a 4 steering nuckle studs? Glad these obstacles didn't deter the trip.

Regarding the tires, It was irony. The first one on Paul's was in a very odd location and merely some odd shaped rock. As far as the ones on Dave's 80, I am not sure but he was running a milder tire (Toyos I believe).

We had a couple spare birfs on the trip. Mine and Troys. Troy's was assembled with the short shaft, it was Dave's long side. We could not get the birf divorced from the shaft (tried all the tricks). My birf some how disassembled itself while in storage over the years. I'll be damn, but we could not get it reassembled. Thankfully, Bobby Long was featured in this month's Toyota 4WD Owner magazine on tearing apart and reassembling them (which I am studying). Dave ended up leaving Senior Birf out and continuing in 2 wheel (kinda 3 wheel) drive.

Looks like your pictures are gone, FYI. Maybe it's my computer.

Yes Adam, for me too. "Bandwidth Exceeded".

LiveRust

Observer
. As far as the ones on Dave's 80, I am not sure but he was running a milder tire (Toyos I believe).
".

Bridgestone Revo's I think. There were lots of sharp rocks but some of his punctures occured on just normal gravel roads too. Some were sidewalls, others center of tread. It became somewhat comical to see the plugs sticking out of the sidewalls after awhile. I don't know what was up, he wasn't really running any heavier than the rest of us, we were all rolling down the same roads, I'm pretty sure I won't be buying those tires. DMC had run those tires through death valley and baja earlier with no problems. weird

FireGuy

Adventurer
What was the issue with the brakes on the black LC? Where they just nearing the end of their useful life?

Last edited:

desmocruiser

Observer
Looked like a great trip. Thanks for the pics and details.

Having met a few of the attendees at Moab and spoken to a couple others via the web over the past couple of years, it looked to be a well prepared and easy going group, what you would need to make that type of trip.

Utah is an amazing state, wish I got there more often.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I think with a little more resources (ie not in the dirt parking lot at the gas station) we could have drummed up a birf to put in there, either by assembling Johnny's or getting Troy's taken apart. However the inner axle baffle had fallen down in Dave's housing and the inner axle seal was 100% trashed and we didn't have a spare (I carry lots of spares but thats not one of them :D). We figured it was best just to contain as much gear lube in his diff and run him in 3WD if needed.

Safaribound

What was the issue with the breaks on the black LC? Where they just nearing the end of their useful life?

It was a combination of things. My fluid had been overlooked for a few years (dirty) and my pads were apparently low to begin with. With the combination of a lot of driving and fast braking, the extra weight of the gear, it cooked the fluid and wore the pads.

I did a complete brake job on it last night......this was not Merlot I was drinking, it was the brake fluid :Wow1:

Attachments

• brakes 003.jpg
    brakes 003.jpg
    902.5 KB · Views: 27

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I wonder how much the flat issue could be due to fast driving on aired down tires?
I know that heats up the sidewalls and makes them more prone to tears but not sure about punctures.
Sounds like a great trip with great people, I am looking forward to seeing the pics when they are viewable again.

Box Rocket

Looks like your pictures are gone, FYI. Maybe it's my computer.

Yeah I know. Sorry I still have a basic photobucket account and I guess a lot of you have been looking at these pics this week. This is the first time I've exceeded my bandwidth, but the good news is they'll be back up next week when my bandwidth resets. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Box Rocket

I wonder how much the flat issue could be due to fast driving on aired down tires?
I know that heats up the sidewalls and makes them more prone to tears but not sure about punctures.
Sounds like a great trip with great people, I am looking forward to seeing the pics when they are viewable again.

Just my two cents...... Dave has had that set of Revos for a while and has put them through some good use, but they still had adequate tread for the trip.. I don't think it was an issue with low psi and high speed. Pretty sure Dave was still at about 28 psi which isn't low at all IMO. I was running 16psi in my BFG AT's on my Tacoma. Granted not nearly as heavy a truck as Dave's, but still a fairly low pressure for the speeds and distance. Honestly I kept waiting for one of my tires to "******** the bed" but fortunately they never did.

A lot of people have good things to say about the Revos. The part I thought was odd was that they all failed, and that they failed at essentially the same time. He wasn't really driving any differently than any of the rest of us, and I'm confident that every other truck on the trip encountered just as many road hazards. My only guess is that the sidewalls on the Revos are weaker, but he also had a couple punctures in the tread itself so maybe those were just from some sharp rocks that only he was able to find. :dunno:

ginericLC

Adventurer
My dad had the same problem with his Revos they were about 1/3 left and they just went to hell all of a sudden. His actually were delaminating. Look where the tread meets the sidewall and if you see cracks you have problems. What I was amazed about my dads is that they were only 2.5 years old and the looked like they were dry rotted. He kept it in the garage so sun shouldn't have been an in issue. Really for gravel and shale I would consider the Revos a very light duty tire. BFGs and Goodyears are even more rugged in construction than them. But if you want a bulletproof tire for driving fast on gravel and other unimproved (well lightly improved) roads Toyo has a line up that can't be beat.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
For any earlybird SLC locals, the Utah Cruiser Expedition will be featured on the Trailmaster Outdoors Radio Show on KALL 700 this morning (Saturday) from 7am - 9am for any of those that might be interested. I know its early

Box Rocket

For any earlybird SLC locals, the Utah Cruiser Expedition will be featured on the Trailmaster Outdoors Radio Show on KALL 700 this morning (Saturday) from 7am - 9am for any of those that might be interested. I know its early

Kurt, any idea if they do a podcast or something? I didn't turn it on until 8am and just missed you guys apparently. I'd like to listen to it if I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design