Vintage Camper Trailer Build

Dirtco

Adventurer
Very cool! Are the tires in the later pics the ones you're going with?

I'd recommend triangulated supports on that subframe though, with all that weight/leverage. Like this:

attachment.php

Yeah, you really need cross bracing on that. It doesn't have to go all the way to the middle.

Third some diagonal bracing under there.

Then get out, go somewhere, use it, and post pictures!!!
:sombrero:

Thanks for the comments! It's going to get some more bracing, I just wanted to make sure the thing was going to track straight and not do anything weird first. The old owner dropped it off at my shop for me, so I really didn't know how the thing handled or if I was going to have to replace the entire axle.

Dirtco

Adventurer
Holy cow,you scored a hell of a deal! Take some interior/set up shots when you can

When I first called the guy he said that there were a bunch of people interested in it, but that he didn't want to have to open the thing up a bunch of times. So, he had planned on setting it up at a specific time later that week, and the first person to give him the money could have it. After thinking about it all day at work, I decided that you can't even buy a tent at Wal-mart for $50.00. So I called the guy and told him I would take it!

I'll post a couple pictures of it set up in a little bit. I will take some pictures of the inside the next time I set it up.

Dirtco

Adventurer
Good looking trailer buddy!!!!

I got a 3500lb axle custom width and spring mounts for 140. It comes with hubs to fit the toyota 6 x 5.5 lug rims, and for an additional 150 you can add brakes. just a thought down the road for ya, my 4 runner gets pushed under braking on a flat road.

Thanks man! It's first trip is going to be the CO4RJ, are you going to be able to make it?

That's some good info on the axle, I figured it would be more expensive. My plan for now is to get the thing going (safe and reliable), and take it on a couple trips. Then I'll figure out what needs to be changed around and how hard of trails I want to take it down. I didn't think too much about brakes, but with 35's and an auto my truck has a hard enough time stopping. I guess we will have to see how it does!

Dirtco

Adventurer
In the process of the lift I also repacked the wheel bearings, replaced the seals, re-painted the wheels and installed some new tires. I stuck with the stock size tire since it was only $30.00 each and it was the biggest I could really get on a 12" wheel. Down the road I plan on getting some larger tires and wheels.

Old hub caps getting ready to be painted

P1020299.jpg

And wheels

P1020301.jpg

Old tires full of Fix-a-Flat :eek:

P1020300.jpg

Last edited:

Dirtco

Adventurer
While adding the 10" of lift, I ran into a couple other things.

First I needed to drop the front jack the same amount, but I didn't want to get hung up on it so I made it removable.

Stock

P1020319.jpg

New

P1020326.jpg

P1020328.jpg

P1020329.jpg

Dirtco

Adventurer
I also added some gussets to the coupler. Down the road I might convert to a differant set-up but for now I'll give this a shot and see how far it get's me.

Stock (gusset in the background tacked in place)

P1020320.jpg

Some 3/8" plate :)

P1020324.jpg

P1020321.jpg

P1020325.jpg

Hootowl

Observer
I am very envious of your find! Maybe even jealeous! Even though it's pink! LOL!

Looks like there's a good foundation to work with with a solid steel frame. For that matter, seems like there's lots of steel everywhere to that camper trailer. Can't beat lots of steel.

Some brainstorms for the future... Cut out the fenderwell openings, probably enlarge them as well and put some fender flares on so that you can fit the same tires that your truck runs. Instead of a tube axle, run a trailing arm suspension similar to the Adventure Trailers. With that steel subframe, the trailer seems setup really well for a HDPE skid covering the bottom so it doesn't hang up. Also, the subframe would be very amendable to reinforcing with gussets and other type braces to increase rigidity and strength if you get it in some rougher terrain.

Oh, after you get the trailer painted something other than pink... Can I borrow it one weekend? :wings:

Dirtco

Adventurer
Sweet, it reminds me of a little red wagon:)

That was my same thought, you should see it behind the truck!

That has some great clearence!

It should work great for mild wheeling and the random river crossing. :)

I am very envious of your find! Maybe even jealeous! Even though it's pink! LOL!

Looks like there's a good foundation to work with with a solid steel frame. For that matter, seems like there's lots of steel everywhere to that camper trailer. Can't beat lots of steel.

Some brainstorms for the future... Cut out the fenderwell openings, probably enlarge them as well and put some fender flares on so that you can fit the same tires that your truck runs. Instead of a tube axle, run a trailing arm suspension similar to the Adventure Trailers. With that steel subframe, the trailer seems setup really well for a HDPE skid covering the bottom so it doesn't hang up. Also, the subframe would be very amendable to reinforcing with gussets and other type braces to increase rigidity and strength if you get it in some rougher terrain.

Oh, after you get the trailer painted something other than pink... Can I borrow it one weekend? :wings:

The pink is gone! I'll post up some pictures later...

The construction of the trailer is amazing, they really don't build things like they used to. Good strong steel frame, plenty of crossmembers and a killer back bumper. How can you go wrong? :D

The sub-frame is going to get braced up really soon, I just wanted to make sure the stock axle was going to work before spending a bunch of time on it.

For now I plan on using the stock axle and tires/wheels. Down the road that might change, depending where I camp and how this set up performs. I don't have as much clearance under the axle as I would like, but most of the trails I camp on don't have that many "diff. grabber" rocks so we will see.

The biggest area I see it getting hung up on (besides the axle tube) is the under side of the rear bumper, but it's a bumper and thats what it's made for. :D If it gets too bad I will plate the bottom and make a skid (like you were saying).

Dirtco

Adventurer
I also beefed up the front of the frame. The trailer used to have a bar that came down and acted as the jack/stand. With the lift this was not going to work any more, so I added some tubing and welded the thing solid. It also makes a nice little platform for lifting the top up (since it's so much taller than stock). Later on I might add some storage space in front of the camper or mount the trucks spare tire there, the extra tubing should give me a little more to work with.

P1020332.jpg

P1020333.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1