WH (WK) Preparation for the Pyrenees

kenaero

Observer
tote bags?

Looking through this thread again I noticed the "rectangular tote bags" behind your seat. Who makes them and do they come different sizes?

crossed-up

Observer
Its only a month now until the off which means only about 4 weekends of prep time left. I knew a major service was due around now and had planned to do a full fluids, filters and plug change anyway, but whilst checking all my paperwork I discovered the Jeeps MOT (annual safety and emissions test) was due to expire a couple of days after leaving the UK! So I got it booked in for its test last Friday which all went well, then on the way back ordered stopped off at the main dealers to order trans filters and a few spares. I thought it was quite telling when the parts guy asked me too come and have a look at the computer screen around the other side of the parts desk, that he had more stock for the coffee machine than he did car parts on the shelves!

The parts and filters should arrive tomorrow so I'll do a full transmission filter and fluid change next weekend. In the meantime I did the engine oil change and a general poke about underneath whilst the guards were off. Since the weather was good and I am also in the middle of doing bodywork on my VW, I decided to repair the front bumper that I tore and mangled in Wales at Christmas. It wasn't really necessary for the trip but it has been annoying me for the last few months and makes the Jeep look tatty.

Up on the ramps, bumper off - the axle stand is supporting the front edge of trans guard whilst the sump guard is off for oil change.
I00000BT6d4JjTns.jpg

Doesn't look too bad from a distance, but there were several cracks and the mounting points were broken on one side.
I0000w5rii1CXSUk.jpg

I0000hWTnbnCnmjk.jpg

Ground back to base material
I0000KgWFaEQ2uXM.jpg

Heated and clamped back into correct position.
I0000xoYYjLF.U84.jpg

I bought this plastic welding kit shortly after damaging the bumper, but hadn't used it until now. Works treat!
I0000GlFiZPSZuqM.jpg

Tacking repair mesh across split.
I0000WcdZrKNsZbE.jpg

I0000wkiHA7cdOyM.jpg

Mesh completely embedded and surface reformed. On the reverse side I had to add PE filler rod to the weld.
I000059SSFIXbAh0.jpg

The mounting to the wing (fender) had completely broken, so needed quite a bit of reinforcement.
I0000s74n5sVug8A.jpg

I0000rTzSM1U8fKQ.jpg

I0000HtNlvvvsaKU.jpg

I0000UKT87vCo6Ao.jpg

Filler rod was needed again to replace the missing material.
I0000xIUsZyuUTFM.jpg

Other minor cracks were reinforced and welded.
I0000Ly9jpMcGfiI.jpg

I0000FpAqjtXqIdk.jpg

I0000q4pKhzLALng.jpg

Prepped and primed.
I00006BJydLQ3Nww.jpg

Base and clear coated, ready to go back on.
I0000tOg6l0pAt1E.jpg

More fettling to following...

crossed-up

Observer
Did a few more jobs over the weekend. Finished off refitting the repainted bumper, and took the opportunity to alter the angle of the driving lamp brackets which were generally 'shooting' too high when the lamps were on the maximum downwards adjustment.

I also mounted an external CB speaker under the passenger seat as the internal speaker required that the cubby lid was kept open for best clarity. I then made up a mount for my Garmin satnav which I think is generally more efficient and user friendly than the build in unit - the maps are certainly 11 years more up to date!

Refitting lamps after cutting, re-angling, welding and repainting the brackets.

I00003her5lLb7iY.jpg

I0000v2klacQMeWc.jpg

I0000fSMCMBajGHA.jpg

All back together and looking sharp again.
I0000IyMLOXgsd0Q.jpg

Trans fluid, filters, various spares and nice little tyre compressor await fitting.
I0000h8qMFobyZRw.jpg

With a Hemi you buy plugs in bulk!
I0000ct6RY3dKWOU.jpg

New trans filters fitted.
I0000ek7cxoVVdPo.jpg

Transmission pan cleaned and ready to go back on.
I00002.bEsT7SA1A.jpg

Mounted remote CB speaker for more clarity.
I0000NpDbkZgJ54Q.jpg

Hacked up a cheap Garmin suction mount…
I0000AlvoctTIuzU.jpg

…to fit to my mount system.
I0000j0eQ1rQItRM.jpg

I0000xBVwyImsCoM.jpg

I00009vbEIQLzgjQ.jpg

A new set of rear shock, and a few more little jobs on the interior/electrics and I think I'm done!

crossed-up

Observer
This is a bit of a retrospective post since we are now back from the Pyrenees, having arrived back last Saturday. I'll post up some pics and a summary in the trips section but in there was a bit of an issue that nearly scuppered me at the last minute...

About a week before the departure date I had noticed an intermittent drop in the coolant level, and the occasional wisp of steam from the grill in traffic. Some days the level in the header tank would remain constant, then others it would drip below the fill line. There were never any overheating problems, but given the high ambient expected in Spain I really felt uneasy about not tracking down the source of the leak. I was worried that it may have been a head gasket problem since there were no obvious external leaks. Eventually I noticed that the cooling fan was covered in dried coolant, pointing me towards a radiator leak and finally found the leak. It was quite bizarre since there rad appeared to be damaged at the top where it is covered by the cross member, so out of the way of anything that would come through the grill and not in an area anyone would be poking about with anything. So with a few days to go I was faced with stripping down the front end, including the power steering system (the fan is hydraulic), transmission lines and fitting a new rad. Luckily the local motor factors got me the rad the next day, but I had trouble getting the correct spec. hydraulic fluid for the power steering/fan system and the correct antifreeze with the Mopar specs., and was somewhat nervous about the integrity of all the quick release fluid pipe connection I had to disturb and remake. But it was well and leak-free for the following day before finally leaving for France on the 5th August.

Cross member removed to uncover the leak.
I0000l4Wi2XAJj4g.jpg

The evidence was all over the fan.
I0000EqKBWhOkt.o.jpg

Fluids drained, rad and PS cooler out waiting for parts to arrive.
I000021IL3TzZ37s.jpg

The offending leak - it may just have been corrosion.
I0000QuUvjjTAcS8.jpg

Finally got to the Pyrenees :)

I00002TnZINFVcFE.jpg

I0000JtQfyN_1kPE.jpg

I0000lOAY_SnDJUw.jpg

Last edited:

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Ohh... we need a lot MORE pics!!! Haha. Glad you made it there and back. Please do expand on the trip...when you've rested.

crossed-up

Observer
Thanks AggieOE, the mount worked really well out on the trails.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I returned to find may hard drive had failed on my main photo editing machine so had to restore that. I also spent last weekend fixing the ding I put in lower half of both drivers side doors and sill on an 'invisible' concrete block in Perpagnan, before we even ventured offroad :oops:

I probably won't get chance to do a full trip report, but will post up some pics this evening.

I0000_1mkBDedZHU.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
can't wait for more pictures. You know what they say about that mark on the side of the jeep....Its like the ole' song..."the first cut is the deepest"....

crossed-up

Observer
Yes indeed KojackJKU - I've pretty much got it all straightened out and painted now - there'll be plenty of others in future I'm sure. Its all part of the adventure!

I may get around to doing a proper trip report in the relevant forum but in the meantime here are some pics from the trip with a bit a few comments at the start. I'll add more later.

We took a couple of days to drive down from the Midlands of the UK down to Perpignan, France, where our road book starts. The route took us from the French Mediterranean coast along the Pyrenees mountains of Spain to the French Atlantic coast at Biarritz.

The Mediterranean at Perpignan
I0000n2gNUIW6PSg.jpg

Into the mountains...
I0000uj.WafzIAvo.jpg

Where one of the Renegade's tyres decided to get a puncture within a few miles of venturing off road.
I0000vaWoKlaF2og.jpg

So we swapped out the spare and hit the tarmac to make the first campsite, where we arrived at siesta time so it was shut! So we set up camp outside for a long lunch and baked some bread courtesy of Coleman.
I0000vQEvqqfTU1I.jpg

Luckily there was a little garage in the village which opened up in the evening and the very helpful owner took the tyre off to check the damage. This turned out to be a big rip rather than a hole so we couldn't patch it, but the garageman told us of a garage back in the town. So we headed off there later that evening. In the end we managed to get a road tyre delivered for the following morning which we were happy enough to give us confidence to head for the trails again with at least a spare of some description.
I0000mJr0SBnMdDE.jpg

After that we had no further tyre issues.

I0000ynUVm0H02Wk.jpg

I0000NwfdlkGhwcQ.jpg

I0000X.YbO3R5uF8.jpg

I0000cD3EYD8xLKQ.jpg

I000001BpMLi9V.g.jpg

I0000gveUZCG35CM.jpg

I0000VQTmcwDWEVY.jpg

I00005Mtoe8s_6Rk.jpg

I00005DpI7_qA7J4.jpg

I0000j_XOJUJ.umU.jpg

I0000OZXHbxq0yjk.jpg

I0000sKEpz8GVN1c.jpg

I000022PIj089V8w.jpg

I0000z5LErdJ4poM.jpg

I0000wT2Gab3RxMs.jpg

I00002VUR49aCjyI.jpg

I0000G.nPFpQeGfY.jpg

I0000wZv2Z1t0rS4.jpg

Last edited:

jeepgc

Adventurer
Wow, excellent pics. WH is looking good.

What tyres are the Renegade running on? That's twice in two posts where it has had a puncture, is it bad luck or are the tyres a problem?

Am looking forward to the next batch of pics.

Looks like you had a fantastic trip :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
What a trip!

x2 on the pictures! Looks like an awesome adventure. :beer:

on the tire punctures, a lot of that has to do with the short side wall which limits the ability to air down.
Cooper tires did a great video on this, using three different tires, and continually running over a spike until it punctured the tire.
The "moral of their story" is, the lower the pressure the more resistant to punctures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1