winch in bumper or receiver mount?

crash!!!

I am a welder by trade and will be building my own bumpers for my 1999 discovery 2. What are you're opinions on a receiver mounted winch vs bumper mounted? Thanks for your opinions.

MOguy

Explorer
A hitch rated to carry a heavier load will mount up the frame in multiple points. A bumper may on mount to the end of the frame. A regular hitch can carry more weight because that weight is spread up the frame rail. If you make you bumper attaches like a class III hitch I would think that could make a great bumper hitch. The down size is you may lose clearance.

As far as using a winch mounted into a bumper I would never do it. Hitches are not designed for strength when it comes to side pulls. if you are only winching straight you would be fine.

Winches are heavy. When you are stuck in the mud facing up a a hill or whatever it is probably a less than ideal condition where you would want to lug around a 100lb winch and cradle and try to mount it into a hole and then plug it in. Depending how you are stuck you may not be able to mount it anyway.

You will lose out on approach or departure if you are hanging a winch out that far. If you thing you need a front and rear winch I would buy 2 winches and mount them correctly.

Last edited:

Brewtus

Adventurer
I have a receiver mounted XRC8. Which is nice because I can use it in the front or in the back. However, the tray winch combo is 100+ lbs. Which is not un-usable... but is rather heavy if you are going to be using it frequently. Also, that means you have to have plugs/sockets. As far as connections go, I use Tweco welder plugs which seem to work well, but they're rather expensive. I hear some people use forklift plugs as well. As Mo said, you do end up with lower clearance; especially if you leave the winch in the hitch (I keep mine in my toolbox). Also, if you have somewhere to store the winch/tray where it's out of the water and the sun, it will last longer.

In my opinion, the hitch receiver is the more versatile option.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
This actually came up in a conversation I had this past weekend, but it is possible to winch yourself backwards with a front mounted winch. There should even be some demonstrations on youtube of this being done.

You may need more line and a little luck on having suitable anchor points, but with creative rigging you can do a lot more than you might expect with just a front mounted winch. Actually with creative rigging, you can open up a lot of possibilities for recovery.

Just something to consider before deciding on how to mount, don't consider the limitations of equipment until you consider what can be done with that equipment plus ingenuity.

rayra

Expedition Leader
More line, pulleys, treesavers can turn things into a straight pull. A receiver winch setup with front and rear mounts and wiring has greater flexibility for both self-recovery and recovery of others. Most importantly, my ORV is my daily driver. I can shuck that 100-lbs of dead weight for the 99% of my driving that's around town.

And 'want' (and comfort / convenience) has jack-all to do with getting unstuck when and where there's no other help readily available.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am mounting my winch in the bumper on my JK. Keeping the stock bumper for weight reduction compared to aftermarket, but adding the Olympic mount and a lightweight 8500 lb winch with syntetic line.

crash!!!

Thank you for the great replies. Many things to think about. The reality here in dallas is that I will rarely use it. Back home in Alaska I would believe I would use it quite a bit more. I like the versatility of a receiver built into the front. But what else would I mount in there regularly. I did see a bumper on google that had a receiver mount and the winch set on top of the bumper. If i am stuck in a bog am i really gonna be able to access mounting my winch front or back? Maybe winches in both are Ideal, but i cant say I am that serious. Just thoughts. thanks for your thoughts and keep them coming.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
That's they way I look at it. If you have your winch in back, and you are buried in front, or vice versa, you will be messing around. I would just make a tidy front install, and buy a pull pal and call er a day.

joejeep92

When you need a winch, in general, the terrain is definitely not conducive to vehicular travel, let alone walking. I had a receiver mounted winch but it is big and bulky, hard to get deployed when you really need it, especially if it is slippery or steep. The other disadvantage is that you also have one more thing to secure from becoming an interior projectile in case of a roll.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1