WreckDiver1321's 2003 Frontier CC SC

skibum315

Explorer
I can certainly understand the desire here ... sounds like you're making up your mind, or at least finding the justification for the decision your heart's already made (NTTAWWT; I'm pro-actively trying to keep myself from doing the same thing, as pertains to moving from my Xterra to an R51 V8 Pathy ... even though the ultimate reasoning would be different from yours).

If you want the manual, hold out for it ... I love it in my Xterra. Also, the Frontier will be subject to the same SMOD (radiatior/transmission issues) as all VQ40 platforms with the AT. Don't pay more than a grand premium for the factory locker ... especially with the MT. All 6spds (even non-ORs & non-Pro-4Xs) have the m226, and the non-factory-locked ATs have the c200k; both have lockers available from ARB. Those can be had for right around a grand (before installation) ... a really basic compressor can be had for less than $50; and you'll wind up with a stronger locker than even the revamped factory ones (though they're no slouch, either ... went to a 4-spider internal design from the early 2-spider layout).

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I can certainly understand the desire here ... sounds like you're making up your mind, or at least finding the justification for the decision your heart's already made (NTTAWWT; I'm pro-actively trying to keep myself from doing the same thing, as pertains to moving from my Xterra to an R51 V8 Pathy ... even though the ultimate reasoning would be different from yours).

If you want the manual, hold out for it ... I love it in my Xterra. Also, the Frontier will be subject to the same SMOD (radiatior/transmission issues) as all VQ40 platforms with the AT. Don't pay more than a grand premium for the factory locker ... especially with the MT. All 6spds (even non-ORs & non-Pro-4Xs) have the m226, and the non-factory-locked ATs have the c200k; both have lockers available from ARB. Those can be had for right around a grand (before installation) ... a really basic compressor can be had for less than $50; and you'll wind up with a stronger locker than even the revamped factory ones (though they're no slouch, either ... went to a 4-spider internal design from the early 2-spider layout).

Yeah, my heart's been set on a gen 2 for a long time. I just needed the right reasons to do it.

Thanks for the info! I know to check for the SMOD, that's at the top of the "must check" list. The manual really doesn't make a difference to me either way. Like I said previously, they both have advantages and disadvantages. The main thing is getting a truck I can afford. If I can afford it and it has a locker, so much the better. If not, it's still a great truck.

richard310

pew pew
I averaged 18hwy on my trip out to CO this past week and I was quite surprised even with all the pedal mashing just to make the hills and not get passed up by the big rigs. That's with some pretty nasty head and cross winds as well! (best tank mileage was 20mpg) I'm quite perplexed as you are as to why you are getting such horrid mileage... But, things come and go, as does life. On to the next adventure!

I was quite tempted at the 2nd gens as well but the SMOD really put me off. But the 4.0L V6.... gawd I really wish they threw that into the 1st gens...

Good luck with your next truck, as I know it will suit your future needs.

nasko

Adventurer
Wreckdiver, when you start shopping keep an eye out for a Suzuki Equator. Same truck, some will argue even better looking. Not many of them around here in Canada, but the ones I have seen are all cheaper than their Nissan brothers. Essentially the same truck.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Wreckdiver, when you start shopping keep an eye out for a Suzuki Equator. Same truck, some will argue even better looking. Not many of them around here in Canada, but the ones I have seen are all cheaper than their Nissan brothers. Essentially the same truck.

I was going to mention this, should be cheaper. And I had a feeling about the RTT, good either way, as you get to mod again! :)

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I averaged 18hwy on my trip out to CO this past week and I was quite surprised even with all the pedal mashing just to make the hills and not get passed up by the big rigs. That's with some pretty nasty head and cross winds as well! (best tank mileage was 20mpg) I'm quite perplexed as you are as to why you are getting such horrid mileage... But, things come and go, as does life. On to the next adventure!

I was quite tempted at the 2nd gens as well but the SMOD really put me off. But the 4.0L V6.... gawd I really wish they threw that into the 1st gens...

Good luck with your next truck, as I know it will suit your future needs.

I have no idea how it can be so bad. But it just won't do better for me. Oh well, time to move on.

The SMOD doesn't bother me a bit. Just do the bypass mod, which takes about 5 minutes, and you're done. That engine is just a peach. If they threw that in a first gen, I'd strongly think about keeping the first gen.

Thanks Richard!

Ah, the Equator! I've looked at these, and I know they're the same truck. They are a good option, but they're rare around here. When they do come up for sale, I never see them less than $20k. Which is about 4 grand more than I am willing to spend. And I don't like the looks of them as much. If they were more common and cheaper, I'd heavily consider it.

I was going to mention this, should be cheaper. And I had a feeling about the RTT, good either way, as you get to mod again! :)

That RTT is staying with me till it leaks like a sieve. :D I.m pretty much past stock vehicles anymore. I just need to spruce them up with my own style anymore.

bob280zx

Observer
2nd gens are great trucks but don't expect big mpg gains

Nice truck you've got there. I know you'll hate to see it go. I imagine you've seen all the threads on ClubFrontier griping about gas mileage even on the 2nd gens. I wouldn't be looking for huge improvements.

I was through your fair city in late Feb and again a couple of weeks later (right between the blizzard and the flood). I drove from Chattanooga TN to Great Falls in a 2007 Frontier KC 4x4. Only engine mods are an Injen intake and IMS.

From Chattanooga to just north of Kansas City avg mpg was right at 18. It's about the norm and I'm happy with that considering a shell, rack, Shrock front bumper, winch and Goodyear LT E tires along with a full load of gear. BUT from there on I was lucky to get 13. Lowest was 11 between Belle Fourche SD and Billings. Billings to GF was about 12.5 but through the Judith Gap it was a fight to keep it on the road. Granted there were some strong, really strong!, winds, and an increase in altitude along with the crappy winter mix in the midwest/west but damn! It did improve on the return trip but the overall gas mileage for 4,078 miles was 15.5 Not exactly stellar. I can't imagine what it would have been towing a trailer.

Having said all that, I would do it again in a flash. Spectacular country and reliable truck.

It performed flawlessly. Never had problem one even camping in it a couple of nights. You won't regret getting one.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Nice truck you've got there. I know you'll hate to see it go. I imagine you've seen all the threads on ClubFrontier griping about gas mileage even on the 2nd gens. I wouldn't be looking for huge improvements.

I was through your fair city in late Feb and again a couple of weeks later (right between the blizzard and the flood). I drove from Chattanooga TN to Great Falls in a 2007 Frontier KC 4x4. Only engine mods are an Injen intake and IMS.

From Chattanooga to just north of Kansas City avg mpg was right at 18. It's about the norm and I'm happy with that considering a shell, rack, Shrock front bumper, winch and Goodyear LT E tires along with a full load of gear. BUT from there on I was lucky to get 13. Lowest was 11 between Belle Fourche SD and Billings. Billings to GF was about 12.5 but through the Judith Gap it was a fight to keep it on the road. Granted there were some strong, really strong!, winds, and an increase in altitude along with the crappy winter mix in the midwest/west but damn! It did improve on the return trip but the overall gas mileage for 4,078 miles was 15.5 Not exactly stellar. I can't imagine what it would have been towing a trailer.

Having said all that, I would do it again in a flash. Spectacular country and reliable truck.

It performed flawlessly. Never had problem one even camping in it a couple of nights. You won't regret getting one.

Hmm, interesting. I'm not looking for something huge. An average of 17 on the highway, as far as I have heard with these trucks at this altitude, is totally attainable.

Thanks for the info!

partsflyin

Adventurer
Wreckdiver, I'd promised to get you some figures on MPGs a while back. Its been a long time since I checked but , but the last three tanks I have averaged right at 15mpg's.Pulling those type of numbers with a first gen. modded the way mine is I definately feel the CAI and exhaust are helping.
Sucks your mileage is suffering so much, but if your unhappy go getcha the truck you want ! I really dig your build style and will be tuned in to see the next one!

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Whoa you were on page two... cant have that happen! lol I do agree with the upgrade. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. As for people being sad about this one going away... If your still driving it and enjoying what you can from it then all is good until you get the new one, right? I mean shoot, if we go to OX and moab with your new bone stock _______, it is what it is. . . I may be a little up on the bad-*** ladder as you say but that wont last for too long. Oh and nice pics with the camera! That is one purchase I am having troubles going for. I am looking into the Rebel series from Canon.. This will be a split purchase with the gf but its still a lot of money when we have a good working Panasonic DMC-TZ5. There are so many little purchases that would be fun to make just for the expo bling but I keep having to fight off the urge. I should have done that long ago and just saved up for a crew cab Tacoma :peepwall:

Allof75

Pathfinder
Weekender, check Craigslist for a Rebel, it's what I use and so far has served me well. Just picked up an 18-200 lens for the broad range of shooting I do.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Weekender, check Craigslist for a Rebel, it's what I use and so far has served me well. Just picked up an 18-200 lens for the broad range of shooting I do.

220 bucks for eos rebel t4i with 18-135 lens, case, tripod, neck strap, 2 sdhc cards, operating manual and dvd, lens cover.... Best part, its a member of my unit selling it! Thanks for the craigslist note! 8)

Allof75

Pathfinder
220 bucks for eos rebel t4i with 18-135 lens, case, tripod, neck strap, 2 sdhc cards, operating manual and dvd, lens cover.... Best part, its a member of my unit selling it! Thanks for the craigslist note! 8)

Wow that's a great deal! CL is wonderful that way :)

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Psch... you Canon people :p

Thanks for keeping me in the headlines Kyle! I plan to keep to the same travel/trip schedule, regardless of the vehicle I have to do it with. I'm holding out for a crew cab Nismo Frontier. With any luck I'll find a nice one. Even if it takes longer to build, I'll still be super happy with it.

Thanks! I'm trying to shoot nice pictures every day and make my photography better. I really enjoy it. Here's how I justified a DSLR purchase: yes, you may have a nicely working camera right now, but getting a DSLR is a major step up. The control and image quality you can get is absolutely fantastic. I don't regret it for a second. Be careful though, getting a DSLR is like building a truck. You'll constantly want to upgrade, get better lenses, flashes, tripods, etc., and it gets expensive! :sombrero:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Wreckdiver, I'd promised to get you some figures on MPGs a while back. Its been a long time since I checked but , but the last three tanks I have averaged right at 15mpg's.Pulling those type of numbers with a first gen. modded the way mine is I definately feel the CAI and exhaust are helping.
Sucks your mileage is suffering so much, but if your unhappy go getcha the truck you want ! I really dig your build style and will be tuned in to see the next one!

I'm glad you're getting better range than I am. I'm a huge fan of your first gen build and it is great that it's working out.

Thanks for watching, and stay tuned! There will be another build thread!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1