XPS Sandwich Panels availability in the US

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
They sold the edge pultrusions for awhile.

We thought about offering them to recoup the huge investment... Turns out that we decided against. Main reason: At the end of the day, we can't have "other" campers with home made panels out in the wild... As this could backfire very quickly if failures in those home brew panels should ever happen. The public and especially the internet warriors wouldn't care if those panels are from us or not. Because of the unique pultrusions, it will always look like something from us.

Same goes for the pick up camper "kit" we originally talked about. We changed that idea fairly quick after going through our own prototyping stages. These campers are much more involved than our regular rectangular truck boxes. At the end, selling the truck campers assembled will give the end user a way better product and warranty.

True custom orders or any other minor modifications to our existing standard campers can ONLY be ordered through our commercial partners. Our HQ in Victoria BC is currently focusing in extending the partner network for North America and building/designing new exciting camper concepts. https://totalcomposites.com/contact/

dbhost

If you are building a DIY camper and want XPS panels, why not pick up XPS sheets, fiberglass cloth, and epoxy resin and DIY the panels? I am no expert in it but I have made some items, cabinets and such out of XPS / Fiberglass and Epoxy resin. Stronger than it has any right to be for sure. That way you can cut your grooves for your hydronic heating and other features, then glass it up. You can also use the Poor Mans fiberglass approach, XPS foam, fabric, most folks are using canvas but some are doing it with old bed sheets, and Titebond 2 wood glue. THEN skim coating with thin coats of bondo to smooth it up and paint...

Louisd75

Adventurer
If you are building a DIY camper and want XPS panels, why not pick up XPS sheets, fiberglass cloth, and epoxy resin and DIY the panels? I am no expert in it but I have made some items, cabinets and such out of XPS / Fiberglass and Epoxy resin. Stronger than it has any right to be for sure. That way you can cut your grooves for your hydronic heating and other features, then glass it up. You can also use the Poor Mans fiberglass approach, XPS foam, fabric, most folks are using canvas but some are doing it with old bed sheets, and Titebond 2 wood glue. THEN skim coating with thin coats of bondo to smooth it up and paint...

I think the main reason is that DIY is considerably more work than buying them and trimming to fit. I don't think it's fundamentally difficult, but you need to have the space, schedule and weather (depending on the epoxy) to allow it.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Gluing pre-made skins to foam will produce panels that are heavier and not as strong compared to wet lay-up and vacuum bagging in place.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

rruff

Explorer
Gluing pre-made skins to foam will produce panels that are heavier and not as strong compared to wet lay-up and vacuum bagging in place.

True, but a lot less sanding will be required....?

Adequate bending, tensile, and shear strength aren't hard to achieve, and the pre-made skin will be fine in impact, since it will be thick and low modulus. Much better than light, thin carbon. Shoot for ~1.5-2 lb/ft^2 panel weight, and the box will be stout and light enough.

Alloy

True, but a lot less sanding will be required....?

Adequate bending, tensile, and shear strength aren't hard to achieve, and the pre-made skin will be fine in impact, since it will be thick and low modulus. Much better than light, thin carbon. Shoot for ~1.5-2 lb/ft^2 panel weight, and the box will be stout and light enough.
.....and more waterproof

rruff

Explorer
I'm looking for XPS Sandwich Panels with either fiberglass or aluminum skin and XPS core. Does anyone know of a resource in the US to purchase these or do I have to go to Europe or Asia?
Re-ran across these from GXV. Never heard of anyone using them, but they seem reasonably priced. No they don't use XPS but PET foam which is better: https://www.globalxvehicles.com/diy.html

Also these which use light (2lb) PU which is probably not much stronger than XPS but would bond better. I think I've seen then used on some custom builds: https://www.fiber-tech.net/frp-panels

Alloy

You can buy the skins and glue them to the foam to make panel. This company is one option. https://www.vetroresina.com/en/ There is a good deal of work involved though and you need space and tools.

Lamilux 4000 is used on RVs.

Edit:. Here's one more

Last edited:

The Artisan

Adventurer
Lamilux 4000 is used on RVs.

Edit:. Here's one more
after I am done with my roles I will use vitro crane is filon as I have samples of both. Vitro is a nicer product and closer to my shop for pickup
Kevin

ReluctantTraveler

Is the approach you're suggesting to skip using any sort of plywood skin? Just structural PVC foam, and epoxy fiberglass cloth directly onto it?

(Then, I'm assuming, glue the panels together.)

dbhost

Is the approach you're suggesting to skip using any sort of plywood skin? Just structural PVC foam, and epoxy fiberglass cloth directly onto it?

You will obviously need some sort of framing, but yes, avoid wood in the construction where you can so you are avoiding the inevitable wood rot.

DzlToy

Explorer
Why bother with epoxy resin and fiberglass? The resin is expensive, caustic and a PITA to work with, so is fiber glass. Buy sheets of Vetroresina or 0.060 aluminum, along with XPS foam sheeting and industrial spray glue, et voila! You have a sandwich panel in no time. If you don't have space, borrow a garage or rent a storage unit for a month. You will save time and money and you might just learn something. Building sandwich panels isn't difficult; a number of people here have done it. Why pay someone else to glue foam and aluminum sheets together for you?

1000arms

You will obviously need some sort of framing, but yes, avoid wood in the construction where you can so you are avoiding the inevitable wood rot.
You might find the link interesting:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1