2004 Chevy Astro AWD "Astrid"

arlon

Adventurer
My AT-3 were NOT E rated. I did go E rated with BFG tires and have not had any noise issues at all. They are quiet enough for me when on the pavement. The BFG may be "out dated" but I believe in not fixing things that aren't broken. What put onto them was talking to several Border Patrol and Park Rangers at Big Bend NP. I noticed all of them used BFG AT/KO tires. That was good enough for me.

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
My AT-3 were NOT E rated. I did go E rated with BFG tires and have not had any noise issues at all. They are quiet enough for me when on the pavement. The BFG may be "out dated" but I believe in not fixing things that aren't broken. What put onto them was talking to several Border Patrol and Park Rangers at Big Bend NP. I noticed all of them used BFG AT/KO tires. That was good enough for me.

Don't think they really choose what they are going to get... But I might be wrong on how system works for government in US.

As well as it's hard to tell how many other tires they have driven/tested. At the end of the day if it works for you - it' s good. I am still interested in finding a tire that I like better than BFG... I love Discoverers, but probably will be looking at different set of tires for next purchase/vehicle....

Thanks for replay, not that I am glad to hear that D range has same problems as mine :(

Stroverlander

Adventurer
In my previous post, I wasn't suggesting the BFG tire but commenting on the feel/ride of E load tires in general.

So why not go with LT "E" load version of Cooper AT3 (or perhaps even S/T Maxx)? The E load version appears to be about a 6 lb weight penalty per tire, which isn't terrible considering the additional durability.

arlon

Adventurer
When I got my AT-3 tires they were not available in E rating in a size I could use. I still prefer the 3ply sidewall of the BFG tires for driving on the rocky roads down here. The BFG is also almost the universal choice of all our oil field trucks. Only tire that seems to last on the oil field roads.

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Posting it here as well as it is related to our Astro build and mistakes that we have made...

This goes out to my "friends" at Cooper Tire... As posted on our Instagram account: http://instagram.com/p/yTfLiQm17g/

HzL4rBm.jpg

Dear @CooperTire today I finally came to conclusion, after being left with yet another hole and leaking tire at the roadside in Mexico, that your Discoverer AT3 tires are piece of ****. I am not even talking about other tire which structure fell apart after suffering second puncture and left us with no spare in Copper Canyon… Yes, I will vote with my valet and not buy your product anymore, as well as NOT recommend it to anyone. I didn't buy these tires 6 months ago to constantly deal with punctures… I would love to have my money back, so I can buy tires that I have never liked, but that have way better reviews in terms of punctures… Yes, I am talking about @BFGoodrichTires

:mad:

Slicky72

Adventurer
I don't think Cooper should shoulder all the blame for your misfortune . The AT3 is not their most durable offering, I run them but I mostly just travel FSRs . If I were planning a trip where a good deal of my time was spent exploring off road I would be looking at the MAXX or STT . I ran the STT on my last truck with zero problems and they were load range c . Choosing a p rated tire for off roading is asking for problems . Good luck with your future travels and have a safe trip.

DAV!D

Adventurer
BFG's are made in China as well.. The last two sets I bought were dry rotting long before the tread was worn out. I've had good luck with Hankook ATM tires.. They are good quality and a good price.

350outrage

Adventurer
In '02 I bought a new Jeep Wrangler, which came with Goodyear Wrangler radials on it. First 3 months, sidewall flat, punctured by a TWIG! Replaced with BFG's, and they were on it when I sold the Jeep last year, and I never had One flat or puncture during that time. Yes, the BFG's can be noisier or rough riding, but you cant beat their durability.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
BFG's are made in China as well.. The last two sets I bought were dry rotting long before the tread was worn out. I've had good luck with Hankook ATM tires.. They are good quality and a good price.

I thought the BFG made in China thing sounded strange so I looked at all BFG tires at Tire Rack and none are listed as being made in China. The majority are made in USA with a few in Mexico and Brazil (car). Pretty easy to determine where tires are manufactured by viewing the tire specs on their site.

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
We have started working on Astrid v0.2.

It is interesting and very challenging, as there are two of us, who have never built anything. Probably not going to be prettiest build, but it should work well. First thing we are building is "The Hub" – structure that is going to be a home to dual battery setup + ARB fridge + all controllers.

yWVUCdc.jpg

Will try to provide updates from time to time on how our build is progressing.

We hope to finish and test the build by mid-June, and attend NW Overland Rally 2015 at the end of June.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp