2004 Chevy Astro AWD "Astrid"

Teamoatmealpie

Observer
Tell me about your house batter set up. Looks interesting

Can you charge it from the van? Couldn't tell from Go Power website if it can charge off the van 12v?

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Tell me about your house batter set up. Looks interesting

Can you charge it from the van? Couldn't tell from Go Power website if it can charge off the van 12v?
I can tell you the plan, as currently there isn't much connected. No wires as you can see :)

GoPower is a power inverter - 12v to 110v. It's just one of the brands, and there is nothing specific about it. It's a 1000W inverter and main idea is to use it for charging laptops, camera batteries, run the jig saw if we needed etc. You don't need second battery to feed power inverter, but if you load it up good and car is not running it might drain battery fast. No juice in primary batter = no start.

That said, when we did our first 6 month trip we had (and still have) Optima yellow top as our primary battery and a Power Cup 200/400 power inverter that would keep our laptops and eloctronics charged. It also had 11v (I think) shut off, that most times would drain far enough that we could still start van. Also we could use laptops for at least half day... Powecup is just simpler plug-in power inverter that will provide enough juice for laptop/camera etc, and might be cheaper/better solution for a weekend warriors. :)

The second battery we are planing to install is going to be Pure Lead AGM, and it would still be 12V - same as primary. We are planing on using T-Max Dual Battery System (Good write up on how to install one: http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/t-max-dual-battery-install.607791/), which means that when car engine is running it would charge primary and secondary battery (one in the black box on picture) and when car is not running it would prevent devices connected to secondary battery (fridge, inverter, ceiling fan etc.) draining primary.

Green thing is Solar Charge Controller - additionally to ability to charge secondary battery from engine, we will have a 100W solar on the roof of van, to provide energy in case we stop and stop for a longer period of time. Yes, you can charge battery by running car for 1h (have done that already...), but we would prefer not to this time around, also considering that we now will have fridge and roof fan, we need something to constantly regenerate electricity that we are consuming.

Let me know if there are any questions. ;)

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
What kind of fan are you planning on using ? I am thinking of installing one myself .

Fantastic Vent Model 1250 - they appear to be a go-to brand, with good track record for reliability and low power consumption.

Here is a good install guide, if you haven't seen it: http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8310

Looks like somebody recently uploaded video on Youtbe as well. Not exactly where I am going to install fan, but gives you the idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXsCoI_yYxc

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
I am leaning towards this http://ventline.com/i/u/6148923/f/RV_Lit/Vanair_Vent_11-11.pdf . I have experience with the fantastic fan , it moves a lot of air . Probably overkill for our little vans . It is also somewhat noisy and you need a special vent cover to use it if it is raining out . They recommend the hatch be mostly open during operation and in comes the rain. Just something to think about.

Moves lots of air - exactly what we are looking for, we like fresh air.

It has 3 speeds, which also dictates how noisy it's going to be and how much air is going to be moved, right?!

Slicky72

Adventurer
I have one in our camper it is a quality unit but I think it is overkill for a little van unless you are planning to use it as a food truck :)

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
I am leaning towards this http://ventline.com/i/u/6148923/f/RV_Lit/Vanair_Vent_11-11.pdf . I have experience with the fantastic fan , it moves a lot of air . Probably overkill for our little vans . It is also somewhat noisy and you need a special vent cover to use it if it is raining out . They recommend the hatch be mostly open during operation and in comes the rain. Just something to think about.

I will give my feedback when I have it installed and used for few months. ;)

TheBusAndUs

Great astro buddy. We just got the chance to go surf exploring in Baja in a lifted one. Made us definitely want AWD for our next vehicle!

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Hole in the roof happened over the weekend ;)

A6XRvtW.jpg

Darkrider

Adventurer
Phew...just finished reading through this entire build up to this point. Tons of great ideas in here for the Astro van platform!

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
The built was finished about month ago (mostly) just before we departed for NW Overland Rally and week later for Europe (not with Astrid). We are currently spending our time in Europe and enjoying summer (fall?!).

So sorry for delays in updates, nevertheless this is the Astrid v2.0 or v0.2 :)

The goal was to have personal inside space where we could mainly hang out in case weather was bad or we just wanted to be in enclosed space + to have a fridge as we are planing on resuming or travels south in Fall when we return to Canada.

What we ended up adding to Astrid v2.0:
#1 Bed that also transforms into a couch (we don't have a queen size bed anymore, but it's still around 50 - 51 inches in width and 80 inches in length);
#2 ARB 37QT Fridge/Freezer with tie down system and threaded socket;
#3 NorthStart Group 31 AGM battery (According to my research and other overlander suggestions these are very reliable and quality product);
#4 100W Solar + MPPT Charging Controller;
#5 T-MAX 47-3800 Dual Battery System (Great post on How-To-Install: http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/t-max-dual-battery-install.607791/);
#6 Fan-Tastic Model 1250 Roof Vent;
#7 ARB CKMA12 Compressor.

As all the build was done by us with limited space and knowledge, there is a lot of place where to improve, but overall we are very satisfied.

Compressor (#7) was not necessity or requirement at all, but I just wanted something reliable so that I can have peace of mind when we air down tires. :)

HoTLdhu.jpg

Outside of van hasn't changed much - except for solar panel that is very low profile and Roof Vent. I think we still don't attract to much attention, which is nice and something we wanted to achieve.

58Vs3Ub.jpg

Our storage bins are going to be 3x times smaller, which is nice as it will force us to have less stuff.

4fsNhn9.jpg

New bed is nice and comfy, and fan provides plenty of fresh air even in the hot weather. Really glad we have one that can move air around.

R9oVjC8.jpg

When bed is transformed into a couch we have nice amount of private space away from elements. Also because we have fridge we built counters, and counter top can be used for cooking small meal or putting heater on top of it etc.

Part we don't like to much about it is having the fridge and battery on the same side where we have fuel tank (makes one side heavier), but unfortunately with this door configuration there isn't much we can do about it.

As I said before overall we are very satisfied with the result, and are really looking forward getting back to traveling South again in Fall 2015. :)

There are couple maintenance items we need to do before we depart - install new ball joints, swap passenger side front differential axle seal.

And the big one - buy new tires (as you already might know how much we "love" our old ones...). We are looking at getting BFG All-Terrain KO2, but there hasn't been final decision yet.

If you know somebody from BFG or General Tire let us know - maybe they can help us by giving discount or something like that... Being able to spend more on traveling, rather then other things is always nice ;)

Let us know if you have any questions or suggestions! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77