Another Tacoma Build (Brian's 2015 DCLB)

p nut

butter
While I was out I pulled up next to a ford econoline van at the ford dealer. So boring. lGoing to be hard for me to let this truck go and start out with such a lame looking platform initially. Haha

So are you doing a 4x4 conversion? Yeah, nothing lame about that! I'd love something like a Sportsmobile someday.

ambient01.jpg

Adventurous

Explorer
I was totally on board for that Sportsmobile until I saw the giant satellite dish on the roof. Pretty sure getting away from that is one of the reasons I'd want to own a Sportsmobile in the first place...

p nut

butter
I was totally on board for that Sportsmobile until I saw the giant satellite dish on the roof. Pretty sure getting away from that is one of the reasons I'd want to own a Sportsmobile in the first place...

It's a random photo I pulled up. But that dish doesn't get ESPN.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
So are you doing a 4x4 conversion? Yeah, nothing lame about that! I'd love something like a Sportsmobile someday.

ambient01.jpg

Yeah that's the plan! I can't do anything until I list and sell the truck, and our baby is here. The wife seems to think she was starting labor this afternoon but it really hasn't been progressing much. Standing by...

We got my 2 yrd old daugther this push bike on her birthday:
EBEA55A3-26B0-431D-86E7-31E51D0E5461_zpsslae4eik.jpg

Sorry for the side bar.

Sweet! I'm really hoping for some good weather soon to get her out on the bike. She did ok walking it in circles but it's kind of a tight turn around. I'd like to get her out making straight lines a bit first and looking further ahead.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

Haha, at first I thought it was Bruce's from WA. He does remote photography. But this one doesn't have his rack/lights on it, so if it is they PShop'd that gear off and put the dish on top.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yeah that's the plan! I can't do anything until I list and sell the truck, and our baby is here. The wife seems to think she was starting labor this afternoon but it really hasn't been progressing much. Standing by...

Pre-congrats on #2!!

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Nice. Panzer plate?
This one is from ECS tuning. I have a panzer on the golf, pretty sure it saved the oil pan on more than one occasion. No real reason for using the ECS one except I was putting together an order with them already. I finally got the work done on the Jetta yesterday. Had been waiting on the apr downpipe which came in just before I left to work last month. So far I'm really happy with it. Just a very small amount of extra noise with the intake/dp/stage 2, and a bit more power. The driver gear springs only lowered the car maybe 3/4", 1" max. Pretty well what they advertise, slightly lower and firmer. And the bilstein sports are pretty smooth overall. I could have snuck the suspension past my wife without her noticing (it rides nice enough), but it corners quite a bit flatter. Seems to be just what I was looking for, better all around performance without drawing any attention. Aside from summer tires when it warms up, I may consider a bigger rear sway bar to make it handle a little more neutral and that's probably it. I need to hang on to whatever money I can for the next rig.

Pre-congrats on #2!!

Thanks! Labor stalled out mostly for now. We just hit 37 weeks which is the earliest point that's considered full term. Hoping to have the kid soon so my wife stops whining! Haha. Until then I'm kind of stuck close to home.

Heading back out to re-torque stuff on the truck, maybe mount the other solar panel and wire them up.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I've let the OME (w/extra leaf) ride for a while, and I'm sure an upgrade is in the near future. Stock the Tacomas run a little "rear end high" so you might be getting closer to that factory setup which might account for you feeling a little better ride as well. Do you still have any adjustment up front? I've got some left in the Icon 2.5's up front since I went with the extended version. Wondering with this extra adjustment, and maybe even upgrading to the 700 lb spring up front, I might be able to perfect this setup.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I would have to measure again, but I believe I essentially have the same amount of forward rake as I did when the truck was stock now, with the leaf springs and the camper loaded. I've adjusted the coil overs slightly in the last couple days, driver's side has around 2" of thread showing and passenger has 1 5/8" I believe. It could probably use an alignment as it did shift everything around a bit. Mine are extended travel too. I think with your bumper and winch the 700lb springs would be a good investment.

I am super happy with these leaf springs so far. Paid less than 600 for the leaf springs direct from the spring shop (u bolts were a bit extra).

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
This one is from ECS tuning. I have a panzer on the golf, pretty sure it saved the oil pan on more than one occasion. No real reason for using the ECS one except I was putting together an order with them already. I finally got the work done on the Jetta yesterday. Had been waiting on the apr downpipe which came in just before I left to work last month. So far I'm really happy with it. Just a very small amount of extra noise with the intake/dp/stage 2, and a bit more power. The driver gear springs only lowered the car maybe 3/4", 1" max. Pretty well what they advertise, slightly lower and firmer. And the bilstein sports are pretty smooth overall. I could have snuck the suspension past my wife without her noticing (it rides nice enough), but it corners quite a bit flatter. Seems to be just what I was looking for, better all around performance without drawing any attention. Aside from summer tires when it warms up, I may consider a bigger rear sway bar to make it handle a little more neutral and that's probably it. I need to hang on to whatever money I can for the next rig.

Thanks! Labor stalled out mostly for now. We just hit 37 weeks which is the earliest point that's considered full term. Hoping to have the kid soon so my wife stops whining! Haha. Until then I'm kind of stuck close to home.

Heading back out to re-torque stuff on the truck, maybe mount the other solar panel and wire them up.

Good to know, just had a '15 GTi call about the DG springs today.
A Neuspeed rear sway will help bring more neutrality.

Crossing fingers for you both regarding #2!

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Good to know, just had a '15 GTi call about the DG springs today.
A Neuspeed rear sway will help bring more neutrality.

Crossing fingers for you both regarding #2!

Sweet. Like I said the drop is real mild. There is an improvement in handling, but definitely nothing hard core. Great in my opinion for a daily driver who drives fairly aggressive, but still wants a comfortable ride. They supposedly work well with factory dampers, being that they are only a little shorter, former and linear like stock. The dampers shouldn't hard a hard time arresting the rebound like they would with a progressive spring. Still it's kind of a spendy ordeal if you're only doing springs and paying for the install.

A couple shots of the gli now. All of my cars are absolutely filthy right now so don't mind the mess!

I need to get with the program on the truck and get it cleaned up. It seemed so easy to sell it when I was working in Louisiana. But I get home and drive it and love it all over again. Lol
The springs just made it so much better. The whole setup works so well. Now I really need to get rid of it because I have a new time consuming project. My buddy and I went in 50/50 on a 1976 Catalina 22' swing keel. I have been wanting one of these for years! When I was a kid, my dad had a 31' Catalina. And for a while I had a 14' Catalina. My dream setup for the last 10 years was a good truck with FWC, and a trailerable 22' Catalina. Just big enough to have comfortable quarters but very easy to tow. We picked it up in Eugene and it towed like a champ. Lots of TLC to put into it, thought it is basically ready to sail.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I finally had a few minutes (and sunshine!!!) to work on cleaning more.
Also have the title for both truck and camper, just need to commit and come up with a price I suppose..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1