Another Tacoma Build (Brian's 2015 DCLB)

shmabs

Explorer
Brian,

Congrats on number 2, hope you and the family are doing well. I'll be interested to see what's next for you guys.

Mike

p nut

butter
I had to make the same move after #2 was born as well. The Tacoma got a bit too tight. When #3 comes along, any trip over 2 hours would be a nightmare with the kids. Decided to go full size and haven't looked back. Good luck with the sale. Good thing about Tacomas is the ridiculous resale value.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Brian,

Congrats on number 2, hope you and the family are doing well. I'll be interested to see what's next for you guys.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Probably a huge 4x4 van.

I had to make the same move after #2 was born as well. The Tacoma got a bit too tight. When #3 comes along, any trip over 2 hours would be a nightmare with the kids. Decided to go full size and haven't looked back. Good luck with the sale. Good thing about Tacomas is the ridiculous resale value.

No #3 here please! Lol

Anything over 2 hours can already be a nightmare. Last time I tried driving through the night. My daughter woke up after an hour and thought she needed to get out and play, eat, poop, whatever. A couple stops that too long and a lot of screaming. Ugh. Turns out there aren't any good places to let a toddler run around by the freeway in the middle of the night. Most drives over 1 hour for now are centered around nap times....

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I've been following this thread since the beginning, such an awesome build. How much are you thinking of selling the truck for? Will it be a package deal with the camper? You can pm me if you would rather not say on here. I would be tempted to take a flight up there to check it out.

Thanks Ron,

I'm going to try to sell the whole setup together at first. I don't have anything against selling both separately, but the truck is really well setup to carry the camper, wiring and batteries are installed on the truck etc. I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to ask, I need to dig up receipts and stuff at home. The closest real world example to compare is Chris' Tacoma and Fleet from Rocky Mountain four wheel camper. IIRC, his was a 2014 access cab, locked, no supercharger but had bumpers and a winch. No rack or solar on the camper.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/149235-2014-Toyota-Tacoma-and-2015-FWC-Fleet

Feel free to message me if you'd like, but I don't have solid numbers to work with yet unfortunately.

I also need to dig up warranty paperwork. The dealer included a 100k mile powertrain warranty (also covered the supercharger as it was installed there), but I don't know if it is transferable or limited only to that dealer.

Last edited:

darkjedi351

Observer
lol, that reminds me of a couple roadtrips with the kids.
make sure you bring your porta potty/training potty for roadside stops. my middle girl wouldn't squat out in the desert on our way back from phoenix one summer.
my wife and I had to hold her above the ground in a sitting position so she would go. drama!

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
lol, that reminds me of a couple roadtrips with the kids.
make sure you bring your porta potty/training potty for roadside stops. my middle girl wouldn't squat out in the desert on our way back from phoenix one summer.
my wife and I had to hold her above the ground in a sitting position so she would go. drama!

Hah! Yes the porta potty is a requirement these days on long trips. Reminds me of being out in the woods with a friend and his kids. He had to hold his daughter's hands while she leaned back and squatted over a ditch. Fun times.

CuStOm

Adventurer
Hey Keith,

After talking with the wife over the last couple weeks, we decided that we will be selling shortly. I won't be back in town until Wednesday, when I'll pick up the new leaf springs and start putting everything back together. It will probably be Friday (the 12th) before I get everything back together and hopefully wash the truck, load the camper, test drive etc. Feel free to PM me or email me at choppedair (at) gmail (dot) com if you want to talk about it.

I do have two brand new Renogy 100 watt rigid solar panels waiting at home as well. The flexible 100 watt panels have been recalled, and I wouldn't feel right selling the camper with a recalled product installed. Since they are heavier than the flexible panels, I didn't want to mount more than two on the roof. Based on previous performance I feel that 200 watts in more than enough. I plan to mount them using the Yakima tracks.

Once you have things back together, give me a call. I will PM you my number. I can drive out and chat/look.

Not to thread jack but here's a couple threads on my 4runner in its current state.... Some day I'll do a proper build thread.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/199186-2015-tep-build-complete-now.html
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/201689-2015-dual-battery-installation.html#post2073164
Cheers,
Keith

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
R...

Yes, we know each other. GTI, Audi's, etc... not an overly frequent customer but you've worked on my stuff several times. Small world!

I thought it might be you. Great to see you here Keith!
Great looking 5th gen.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Once you have things back together, give me a call. I will PM you my number. I can drive out and chat/look.

Not to thread jack but here's a couple threads on my 4runner in its current state.... Some day I'll do a proper build thread.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/199186-2015-tep-build-complete-now.html
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/201689-2015-dual-battery-installation.html#post2073164
Cheers,
Keith

Nice 4Runner! I tried to talk to my wife into getting a new one before we bought the Jetta but it didn't really make sense with her commute and stuff. They seem like a great rig, but I started looking in the back seat and thinking about rear facing car seats and it looked cramped. Nice work on the battery setup, the ACR mount looks a lot nicer than what I did. I planned to have a custom battery box built with the ACR mount and breaker on it, but I haven't had time or energy for new projects in a while.

I don't know how I'm expecting to have time to build out another rig, with another kid on the way. :eek: Lol
Hopefully longer days this summer bring back some energy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1