Artistic Shots- Well thought out, framed (positioned), artistic shots only please.

mrbishi

Adventurer
Windmill - Ninghan Station, Western Australia

gallery10.jpg

The Cove - Cottesloe, Western Australia

gallery13.jpg

Salt Water Fly Fishing - Broome, Western Australia

gallery5.jpg

soonenough

Explorer
Agreed, that is an incredible picture. If you had the rod/reel company's logo displayed on the equipment, you could probably sell it to them; that photo has a lot of pop to it.

And this one is equally sweet, in fact I may like it better. It has an awesome feel to it. mrbishi - do you have any details about this pic (exposure settings, lens, post processing,etc)? I would love to be able to take pics like that.
mrbishi said:

Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
mrbishi said:
Windmill - Ninghan Station, Western Australia

gallery10.jpg

The Cove - Cottesloe, Western Australia

gallery13.jpg

gallery5.jpg

These are outstanding...great use of color. Thanks for posting these.

:26_34_3:

mrbishi

Adventurer
Thanks for your kind words everyone. I shoot with a Nikon D40 with a combination of Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-60 f2.8 and Nikon 55-200 VR lenses. I shoot in manual all the time and all my processing is done in Adobe Lightroom.

The picture of the fly reel is a favourite and brings back some fond memories. I remember setting it up and having as much fun taking the picture as I was fishing in that amazingly beautiful location.

The windmill shot was taken at Ninghan Station in Western Australia - the day was slightly overcast. I post processed it with quite a lot of contrast and sepia tones to get it the way it was.

I'd love to submit some images to stock photography websites but have no idea where to start - any tips/advice?

mrbishi

Adventurer
Here are a few more for you to enjoy.

Manarie - Cape Leveque, Western Australia

gallery1.jpg

gallery2.jpg

Cape Keraudren, Western Australia

gallery6.jpg

Star Trails - Dwellingup, Western Australia

gallery12.jpg

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
mrbishi said:
I'd love to submit some images to stock photography websites but have no idea where to start - any tips/advice?

Heavy subject, we should probably start a new thread if people take notice and want to talk more about it, but having just started this whole process myself let me offer this up here and now.

First step is finding one you like. Some of the better ones are, Corbis, Getty, Alamy, Jupiter Images, Aurora Photos, Masterfile, Digital Railroad and Marketplace.

Be prepared to go through your images and only select the 'cream of the crop'. Also make sure the file size is about 50 meg's or larger, as the requirement to go to print is indeed a marketplace for these firms. Make sure all of the spotting and adjustments have been made, take them up to 100% and see if there are spotting problems or noise issues. Dont over sharpen anything - as they will ususally do the final tweeks.

You'll probabaly need about 50 or more images to submit depending on the stock agency. They will review your 'style' and the content of what you shoot. Some will also require an annual submission number, so they continue to get good stuff from you.

You could also use a microstock agency, there are tons of these. Most working pros though are critical of these and see them as "killing the buisness." The difference is that micro agencies typically specialize in royalty-free, low cost photos and traditional agencies specialize in high cost, rights-managed photos. If you want to make some money the micro agencies are almost a waste of time. For instance they might charge as low as $1 for an image with somewhere between 20 and 50% going to the photographer. So to make $100 in commissions with micro agencies, you`ll have to sell a lot of images. Almost a waste of time considering the amount of time and effort that has to go into preparing and tagging photos for these agencies.

If you`re really serious about selling some images pick up Richard Weisgrau and Victor Perlman's book "Photography Licensing". It`ll give you a ton of info about the business of photography and licensing.

Most importantly shoot the good stuff, submit often, and be patient.....as things typically won't happen until you've got a lot of material out there.

Perhaps PM some of the pro's here as well. Sinuhe, and Michael Slade are but a couple of the talented pros here that may have more insight.

Last edited:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
mrbishi said:
Here are a few more for you to enjoy.

Manarie - Cape Leveque, Western Australia

gallery1.jpg

gallery2.jpg

Cape Keraudren, Western Australia

gallery6.jpg

Star Trails - Dwellingup, Western Australia

gallery12.jpg
You are very talented, these are great shots!
cheers!

Lost Canadian said:
Heavy subject, we should probably start a new thread if people take notice and want to talk more about it, but having just started this whole process myself let me offer this up here and now.

First step is finding one you like. Some of the better ones are, Corbis, Getty, Alamy, Jupiter Images, Aurora Photos, Masterfile, Digital Railroad and Marketplace.

Be prepared to go through your images and only select the 'cream of the crop'. Also make sure the file size is about 50 meg's or larger, as the requirement to go to print is indeed a marketplace for these firms. Make sure all of the spotting and adjustments have been made, take them up to 100% and see if there are spotting problems or noise issues. Dont over sharpen anything - as they will ususally do the final tweeks.

You'll probabaly need about 50 or more images to submit depending on the stock agency. They will review your 'style' and the content of what you shoot. Some will also require an annual submission number, so they continue to get good stuff from you.

You could also use a microstock agency, there are tons of these. Most working pros though are critical of these and see them as "killing the buisness." The difference is that micro agencies typically specialize in royalty-free, low cost photos and traditional agencies specialize in high cost, rights-managed photos. If you want to make some money the micro agencies are almost a waste of time. For instance they might charge as low as $1 for an image with somewhere between 20 and 50% going to the photographer. So to make $100 in commissions with micro agencies, you`ll have to sell a lot of images. Almost a waste of time considering the amount of time and effort that has to go into preparing and tagging photos for these agencies.

If you`re really serious about selling some images pick up Richard Weisgrau and Victor Perlman's book "Photography Licensing". It`ll give you a ton of info about the business of photography and licensing.

Most importantly shoot the good stuff, submit often, and be patient.....as things typically won't happen until you've got a lot of material out there.

Perhaps PM some of the pro's here as well. Sinuhe, and Michael Slade are but a couple of the talented pros here that may have more insight.

Very well said. I recently picked up the 2008 Photographer's Market Book. Seems to be decent and is helping me to understand how to submit work.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
no more Digital Railroad

FYI Digital Railroad closed... lots of stock places are dieing... plus you need thousands of images to start at most of teh good ones, or else you are lost... at least that was what I was told a couple of years ago when I started looking at them

Lost Canadian said:

bajasurf

Explorer
Erendira Rainbow

This rainbow showed up in the last hour just above my home. I ran up the hill took a 2 shot sequence and having never shot a panorama I stitched them together. Using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 and Canon software that came with my A520.

Attachments

• Rainbow(11-27-08)panofixedEM.jpg
    Rainbow(11-27-08)panofixedEM.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 73

sami

Explorer
We ate at that little cafe on the water just this week!

Scenic WonderRunner said:
San Diego.......

Moon Sun Reflection Old New........Future (far right!).

2006_1202SeaportVillage0052.jpg

Oh! ....and seagull........diggin' it! Look close!

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
How about a little abstraction...

Here are a few shots from this week. I'll leave it to you to figure out what each shot is.

427750299_8uSC5-M.jpg

422420641_Ffi58-M.jpg

422423587_4WG8s-M.jpg

Last edited:

mrbishi

Adventurer
Love everyones images - keep up the posting guys!

Lost Canadian - nice abstract/macro work :)

A couple of my latest:

3074303572_3efdc78ab2.jpg

3074210090_7a1d23c290.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1