carry gun

762X39

Explorer
I don't carry but leave a shotgun in my pickup truck almost year round. I have found that my 14" barreled 12 gauge to be just the ticket for almost every situation and is oh so handy to harvest the odd grouse or rabbit encountered along the trail.

Attachments

• IMG_0137 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0137 (Medium).JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 56

Lynn

Expedition Leader
xcmountain80 said:
Though about a unit like that, short and to the point. I like it!

Aaron

Well, not quite that short. ;)

Isn't the US law 16" for shotguns and 14" for rifles?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Lynn said:
Well, not quite that short. ;)

Isn't the US law 16" for shotguns and 14" for rifles?
Federal limit is 18" for a shot gun, 16" for rifle, measured by dropping a rod down the barrel that rests on the breechface of a closed bolt. The law also requires an overall length of 26" (with the stock fully extended if it folds or collapses). The generally thought is that you shouldn't go below about 0.5" from the minimum barrel length to allow for measurement 'imprecision' if it's tested by The Man.

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
KevinNY said:
he is in Canada.

Not the guy I quoted. He's in Florida.

I do know that the laws are different in Canada. Remember that bear gun posted up here a while back that was basically a pump shotgun with about a 6" barrel? Man, I'd like to have one of those. Especially if I ever get car-jacked!

Thanks for the corrections, though, on the length. Didn't sound quite right when i wrote it, thus the question mark.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
IIRC you can get a short barrelled shotgun or rifle with a $5 "Any Other Weapon" (AOW) tax stamp. However, this does put you into the records of other NFA owners so if you're going to get NFA might as well pay another $195 and get a machine gun.

I'm not up on NFA laws but IIRC any NFA application has to be approved by the senior LEO (usually the County Sheriff) before the ATF will approve the purchase. Some Sheriff's have made it clear that they simply will not allow NFA licensees in their jurisdictions.

I don't know if this rule applies to AOWs or if it only applies to machine guns and destructive devices.

EDIT: For those not familiar with the term "NFA" refers to the National Firearms Act that strictly regulated the ownership of certain classes of weapons, primarily machine guns, short-barrelled rifles and shotguns and weapons classified as "destructive devices." The generic term for these types of weapons is "NFA Weapons" and dealers who specialize in them are called "Class III" or "NFA" dealers.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I'll answer my own question:

wikipedia said:
The fact that the .410 bore shell fits in a .45 Colt chamber has resulted in some unusual applications. While shotguns are often limited in minimum length, a firearm chambered in .45 Colt, such as the Contender pistol, is not defined as a shotgun even though it can chamber shotgun shells.

DaveInDenver

Martinjmpr said:
IIRC you can get a short barrelled shotgun or rifle with a $5 "Any Other Weapon" (AOW) tax stamp.
The AOW stamp I believe only applies to weapons the ATF does not classify otherwise as SBR, SBS, MG or Suppressors. Normally you'd have to get the regular $200 stamp to make a short barreled shotgun or rifle. The AOW provision is a catch-all for off stuff. For example, a 14" barrel AR is a SBR is all cases since the ATF classifies it that way.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Seems like I read somewhere that certain pocket holsters were deemed AOW because you could fire the pistol w/o removing it from the holster.

Thought that might bring the discussion back to concealed carry :p

DaveInDenver

Lynn said:
Seems like I read somewhere that certain pocket holsters were deemed AOW because you could fire the pistol w/o removing it from the holster.

Thought that might bring the discussion back to concealed carry :p
True, I think most any pistol that does not require you to unholster would be considered under AOW. Guns that can be fired from briefcases, pen guns, cane guns, smooth bore pistols (which could happen to be a pistol grip shotgun if originally manufactured as such), etc. are AOW.

jerry92toy

A 45 is too weak for bear or even deer. I carry a 10mm auto,glock20 . They sell actually hunting ammo for it. It will stop a black bear. And many Guides in alaska carry it as well for brown bear. But thats borderline. It has more power at 100 yard then a 45 does at the muzzle. It falls in between a 357 mag and the 41 rem mag. I carry 175 grain winchester silver tips. At 1290fps and 649 ft pounds it packs a punch. You can get double tap ammo thats even more powerful and fast with 165 grain bullets. Like 1600fps and 767 ft pounds. And anyone who says a bigger hole is better. I say what does everyone hunt a 1000 pound elk with? A 30 cal bullet and why? its faster. The 10 is fast and heavy. And the 41 rem mag 185 grain winchester silvertips are only 605 foot pounds! The 10 is ahead! Plus having 15 round mags means you can put a lot energy down range.

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
bersa thunder .380 duotone.
small,
powerful,
thin due to single stack mags,
excellent controls
its sitting next to me as I type.
constant companion.

a crook isn't going to ask if he's being shot with .380 or .40s&w, so i picked the gun that i would actually carry all the time. If I'm worried about critters in camp, I have my Remington 870 w/slugs next to me in our tent. On hikes we use bells, spray and common sense.
-B

p.s. for those who would say this is a "cheap" gun, i would respond, its as expensive as it needs to be. Certainly the best "new" gun, sub-$300.00, which was a budget restraint when i got it.

jerry92toy

A 380? Dont even waste my time. Heres the specs at double tap. 242 ft. lbs. 3.5" bbl Bersa Thunder @1100 fps
You are right a bad guy will most likely go away if you pull a gun. A bear, a cougar or a person on drugs will not.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1