Craig's 1989 RRC

rover4x4

Adventurer
Very nice, I love the color and what youve done with the truck. Could you post a photo of where you removed the trim along the lower portion of the body.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Very nice, I love the color and what youve done with the truck. Could you post a photo of where you removed the trim along the lower portion of the body.

Thanks. I haven't taken any photos of the trim removal yet. I still need to spend a few hours and remove the adhesive. I'll post one when it's completed for sure though.

I'm imagining that you'd like to know whether or not there are trim holes or if the paint matches (That's what I wondered before pulling it). The trim is secured with a very strong adhesive (no holes) and the paint should rub out to match well.

Craig

rover4x4

Adventurer
I might ditch mine, then I was worried there would be some holes left, however my paint is so bad I am sure I will still have a line going down the side of the truck. How do you like the ARB rack? Would you post more photos? Is it equipped to accommodate lights front and rear?

ntan

Adventurer
Can't wait to see pictures of the Rover cleaned up. Am trying to decide if I want to remove those strips.

craig

I might ditch mine, then I was worried there would be some holes left, however my paint is so bad I am sure I will still have a line going down the side of the truck. How do you like the ARB rack? Would you post more photos? Is it equipped to accommodate lights front and rear?

The ARB rack is great. Like everything from ARB it's impeccably manufactured. It's strong, lightweight, and has a great mounting system that distributes the weight across the entire gutter. It's adjustable for width and height so the feet follow the curvature of the RRC gutter. The powder coating is beautiful and durable. It has 4 holes up front for driving lights. It doesn't come with any mounting points for a work lamp, hi-lift, etc so I'm having to be a bit creative there. I have a few bracket/mounting ideas from Ho Chung at Expedition Exchange, some of the guys in the NW Overland Society, and my own creative genius (hah!). I refuse to drill the rack, but think I've identified a few ways to attach the various items I'd like to carry. I'll post pics once I've had a chance to experiment around with them a bit.

Sure, I'll grab a couple more pictures of the rack during lunch today.

Last edited:

craig

Hah! Showing an RRC the love they need is a full time job. :D

Thanks for the encouragement. I have a ways to go yet, but it's starting to come together.

craig

More photos of the roof rack.

Attachments

• RRC 3.jpg
    RRC 3.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 9
  • RRC 4.jpg
    RRC 4.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 11
  • RRC 5.jpg
    RRC 5.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 9
  • RRC 6.jpg
    RRC 6.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 10
  • RRC 7.jpg
    RRC 7.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 8
  • RRC 8.jpg
    RRC 8.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 8
  • RRC 9.jpg
    RRC 9.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 9
  • RRC 10.jpg
    RRC 10.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 12
  • RRC 11.jpg
    RRC 11.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 8

craig

C02 Tank install

Installed the CO2 tank. Large rivnuts were popped into the side panel, and the bracket was attached to them. Still need to remove the surface rust on the passenger side of the cargo area and recarpet everything.

Attachments

• RRC 2.jpg
    RRC 2.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

craig

Winch and recovery point

My friend Grant helped me build a winch tray into my non-winch ARB front bumper and install a front recovery point. Still need to re-install the driving lights and front skid plate.

Continuing on with the budget build theme... The winch is the Ramsey RE12000 out of my previous Discovery II (free), the Masterpull Superline XD rope was won in a NW Overland Society fundraiser auction (cheap), and a friend picked up the Dixon Bate tow jaw for me when he was in the UK.

The grille was trimmed so the winch could sit back closer to the oil cooler, then repainted since it was faded and oxidized. The oil cooler was relocated up a couple of inches and the hard line was replaced with a soft line to clear the spur gear. The red thingy in the picture is a line lock which insures that at least 4 wraps are left on the drum. I'm very happy that there was enough room in the bumper to fit the winch and still have easy access to the clutch and remote control outlet.

The recovery point is a 3.5 ton Dixon Bate Tow Jaw

The winch was wired direct to the battery with a quick disconnect located behind the bumper. The quick disconnect makes it possible to remove the front bumper without having to disconnect the winch power leads from the winch or battery. It may also serve as a safe and easy way to connect up a pair of jumper cables.
RRC_Winch.jpg

RRC_Winch2.jpg

RRC_Winch3.jpg

RRC_Winch4.jpg

Last edited:

aka rover

Adventurer
Looking good Craig!!!

You are doing a good job of keeping a clean but agressive look, That rig outa serve you well!

Ed

craig

Thanks! I love how it's turning out so far, but it really needs a new motor to be reliable over the long haul. The 3.9 is tired and needs new head gaskets. I'm pondering whether I go in and fix the head gaskets now, or save the money I'd spend and put it towards a TDI. I'm leaning towards the latter.

aka rover

Adventurer
Craig

If you plan to do conversion sooner than later just save and this may help you keep up momentum to do the diesel.

If its going to be awhile fix the 3.9 so you can keep enjoying it, and give yourself some piece of mind to to take it on longer trips.

Cheers Ed

11b4v

Adventurer
RRC

Great build. Thats a great looking truck. Ive been dying to get my hands on an RRC and do a similiar build.

Going slow and easy, you can use a utility razor blade and come in real close to the body (low angle) to get that adhesive off without damaging the paint.

tagged for later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1