Craig's 1989 RRC

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Not sure exactly what you're referring to here, but I would recommend using a rubber eraser wheel in a power drill over a razor blade. I've used a blade in the past, but even with my very steady hands I have nicked paint. I bought a rubber eraser wheel last August from a local shop and took the decal off of my tailgate. I started with a heat gun and worked the decals off with my fingernails then I used the eraser wheel to get the adhesive off. Worked like a charm. I got 99.9% off and then had the truck detailed and the rest came off when they polished the paint. Would have taken about another 5 minutes to get the rest off myself.

Great build. Thats a great looking truck. Ive been dying to get my hands on an RRC and do a similiar build.

Going slow and easy, you can use a utility razor blade and come in real close to the body (low angle) to get that adhesive off without damaging the paint.

tagged for later.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
A friend of mine also knicked his paint using a razor blade. This adhesive is much stronger and gooey-er than regular decal adhesive. Another friend of mine who details cars didn't have any luck getting it off with the chemicals he uses. I'm going to go down to an auto-body shop today and see if they have any suggestions. The eraser approach sounds perfect for that last little bit. Thanks for that tip. I'll pick one up for sure.

Craig

Last edited:

overlander

Expedition Leader
Thanks! I love how it's turning out so far, but it really needs a new motor to be reliable over the long haul. The 3.9 is tired and needs new head gaskets. I'm pondering whether I go in and fix the head gaskets now, or save the money I'd spend and put it towards a TDI. I'm leaning towards the latter.

TDI, TDI, TDI, TDI...

craig

Not sure exactly what you're referring to here, but I would recommend using a rubber eraser wheel in a power drill over a razor blade.

The body shop guys said the same thing. I'm having trouble finding anyone in town that carries them (hardware stores and auto parts stores). Any recommendation on where to buy a Rubber Eraser Wheel?

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
The body shop guys said the same thing. I'm having trouble finding anyone in town that carries them (hardware stores and auto parts stores). Any recommendation on where to buy a Rubber Eraser Wheel?

I bought mine at Industrial Finishes here in Portland. Just looked up their store locations and didn't find anything in Washington unfortunately. They're an auto body and paint supply company. The eraser wheel technically is designed for some special tool, but it chucks into a drill just fine (and it's what the guys at the store recommended doing over buying the special tool).

Try looking around your area for an auto body and paint supply store specifically and if that yields nothing let me know and maybe we could work something out for me to get you one from down here.

How big of an area are you working on? I stripped off the glue from the fairly large TOYOTA decal on my tailgate and chewed through ~3/4 of a wheel doing so. They're very soft and wear fast.

craig

Thanks for the offer, that's really cool of you. If I can't find one here in town, it looks like I can order one from the inter-tubes.

I'm pretty sure there's an auto-body paint and supply company here in Mount Vernon. I'll see if I can figure out where they are located tomorrow.

I'm doing a 2" strip down each side of the truck where the body trim used to be. Sounds like I'll need to pickup a couple of them. If there's a bit left-over, I'm sure it will come in handy on a future project.

Thanks for the suggestions on this. I'm looking forward to getting the goo off, w/o getting a big ol' blister on my thumb. :)

rover4x4

Adventurer
I have had good luck with goo-gone and elbow grease. I have removed double sided tape residue with it before.

rover4x4

Adventurer
Thanks for posting the rack photos, it is still hard to tell how the overall "fit" is. Glad to see your truck taking form, I wish I would have kept my non-winch ARB. I kick myself everyday for letting it go, it would have been easy to make it worth with a winch.

craig

Gotcha. I thought you were more interested in the quality of the construction, how the mounts worked, etc. I'll post one dead on from the front and side when I get a chance.

I almost sold mine and went with a smaller winch and the ARB winch compatible bumper. It would've been an easy and straight-forward bolt on. In retrospect, I'm glad I stuck with the larger Ramsey RE12000 and the non-winch bumper. It came out pretty clean and the winch is both familiar and very very reliable. When I was spooling the winch line on I felt like I was seeing an old friend. The truck feels like it's "ready" now. Time to go play (well, after those pesky engine problems go away).

h2os2

Adventurer
Craig....I know it may sound crazy, but maybe using a heat gun and some waxed dental floss to remove the glue.

-Dave from NWOS

craig

The eraser wheel worked perfectly for removing the trim gunk. I'll post some pics after getting it cleaned up after the weekend.

The new winch setup worked flawlessly, I'm super happy about that. The weekend trip was the last one this truck is going to be making for a while. It needs the head gasket replaced, oil pump replaced, and thermostat replaced. At this point, I'm going to clean it up, finish installing the other accessories I already own for it (latch for rear swing out, rear work lamp, driving lights, onboard shower, finish redoing the interior, etc), prep it for long term storage, and store it until I have the money together to drop a 300 TDI in it.

I expected this when I started fixing the truck up. Rover V8s just don't last long, and this one had been sitting for several years before it was given to me. It'll be a while, but it will be nice to have the TDI down the road. I'm hoping for summer 2013, but we'll see.

Craig

rover4x4

Adventurer
How many miles? I beg to differ the RV8 is not very forgiving but if you keep them cool and change the oil they last. Its no Toyota, I have one in my care with over 225k all original less the head gaskets alt and water pump. I dont know why people get hard-ons for those TDi's, yeah they are "cool" relatively efficient but out of the box are more of a dog than the RV8. Get that thing on the road!!

craig

That's fantastic that you've had such good luck with your Rover V8s.

I'm perfectly content to wait until I can put the TDI in, and I'll get there that much sooner if I save the V8 repair money and put it towards the end goal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1