Enclosed utility bed custom

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
or this?

http://www.bs-commercial.co.uk/sleeper_modules.htm
cab_roof_sleeper_cab_module_003.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Great purchase I am interested in seeing what you build.
Great color too! I have a thing for RED.

I would fight the ticket too, Being you just bought it the PO should have given you a warning.

It is close to the end of the month though and he was probably short on the quota.....

1911/F-350

Observer
Well first off this will be my work truck so I will need to get it road ready. I am waiting for all paperwork to be complete before I buy anything for it.

When this is done I will start with:
Nice stereo with Sirius, amps, sub, head unit, etc
GPS
Rear camera with 7-10" monitor
Lift gate
Led lighting inside and out
Fold down bed
Heat and air
Fridge
Generator
Vent fan
Cooking stove and grill
Possible solar panels and battery bank
Toss around ideas of a shower
And whatever else comes along

This will be slow as I work a lot but will be nice to chip away at my list.

Yesterday I was in my F-250 for about 15 hours so driving comforts are most important.

1911/F-350

Observer
I got the title to my truck in the mail Friday!

I got such a good deal on it that I was afraid that it was stolen so I have been waiting to buy things for it.

I ordered a backup camera with a 7" monitor that should be here in 3-5 business days.

I am currently researching GPS with 7" monitors and Sirius head units.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I've been thinking of a GPS for my truck too and had planned on just using my laptop and getting a mount for it, then getting a USB GPS receiver. But my laptop is a piece of junk so I figured I might build a computer based on a mini-ITX motherboard and a solid state hard drive. But then I found the Garmin GVN 52 Black Box GPS. Its meant to plug into your existing dash board display but it does have a composite video output for plugging it into its own dedicated display. I think thats going to be the route I take when its time to do the project.

1911/F-350

Observer
Well, I had a few beers and got on Amazon.......

I ordered a Garmin 7" GPS, 4) LED fog lights that I will mount to the top of my bed pointing down, a CB with accessories, and I think that's all.

I plan to call Crutchfield tomorrow to order a system that will best suite my needs.

Good times!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Well, I had a few beers and got on Amazon.......

I ordered a Garmin 7" GPS, 4) LED fog lights that I will mount to the top of my bed pointing down, a CB with accessories, and I think that's all.

I plan to call Crutchfield tomorrow to order a system that will best suite my needs.

Good times!

CB? why not get a ham license and invest in a more powerful and useful (in my opinion) radio. I bought a CB for a Mohave Road trip, used it once. I had to sterilize my ears after hearing the vile conversations going on between truckers on the 15 during the drive home and I'm no puritan.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
CB? why not get a ham license and invest in a more powerful and useful (in my opinion) radio. I bought a CB for a Mohave Road trip, used it once. I had to sterilize my ears after hearing the vile conversations going on between truckers on the 15 during the drive home and I'm no puritan.

Truckers are pretty vile, and even the non truckers. Its probably a good idea to have the ham license with a 2m FM rig and the CB though, it never hurts to have the Plan B ready if you need it. Talking with other hams is more enjoyable, but there are a lot more CB users out there.

1911/F-350

Observer
I had a few beers and I was on a roll!

I have never had a CB but the thought popped in my head so I clicked the buy button.:sombrero:

I think that was the same reason I bought LED fog lights to mount to the top of my box and point down along the sides.

Either way, they are on the way and I will have them.

This afternoon I also ordered the big Ranch Hand replacement front bumper. I am excited about that one! I could build one but I don't have the time so I just ordered it. A friend of mine had one on the front of his F-350 when he hit a concrete bridge running 70+ going down I-16. He walked away and still says it was the bumper that saved him from injury.

Now I am looking for a Sirius unit to run in tha cab and be able to use it in the bed as well. I don't see a "Plug-N-Play" being able to hook up to amps but I will search and call Crutchfield to make sure.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I really like that truck! Nice find...
While you are havin' beers and buying stuff, make sure to add a coolant filter to the list. Sinister Diesel makes a nice one for the F350 6.0 liter. Also, a ScanGauge to monitor engine oil temp vs. engine coolant temp. You are lucky to get such a low mileage 6.0, but you should address some of the known danger areas while you can. I had EGR issues at only 65,000 miles. If you can get away with deleting/bypassing the EGR cooler, I would do it to extend the reliability of your engine.
Most importantly, have fun!
Oh yeah... either frequent oil changes, or a bypass oil filtration system to keep the hpop and injectors happy.

Last edited:

1911/F-350

Observer
I really like that truck! Nice find...
While you are havin' beers and buying stuff, make sure to add a coolant filter to the list. Sinister Diesel makes a nice one for the F350 6.0 liter. Also, a ScanGauge to monitor engine oil temp vs. engine coolant temp. You are lucky to get such a low mileage 6.0, but you should address some of the known danger areas while you can. I had EGR issues at only 65,000 miles. If you can get away with deleting/bypassing the EGR cooler, I would do it to extend the reliability of your engine.
Most importantly, have fun!
Oh yeah... either frequent oil changes, or a bypass oil filtration system to keep the hpop and injectors happy.

Thank you very much bk, I feel very lucky for finding it.

I am buying the toys to get it enjoyable but I agree with you that the clock is ticking.

I am planning to start researching about the 6.0. My uncle had/has no problems from his 200,000 + but dad had problems with his at 100,000. I was told that the cooler fix, chip, and head bolts will run around $4,000. Worth it but hard to bite that piece off just for preventative maintance. It will be worth it though, I suppose.

The scan gauge is a good idea, I didn't think about that. Thank you very much!

1911/F-350

Observer
Thanks Nathan, like I needed more things to spend money on.:coffee:

I do appreciate the post and I am only about 30 miles from him. I will do at least part of what he was talking about. Dad had his done locally, I will compare the two.

I call Crutchfield to place an order tomorrow, Norm was very helpful. It turns out that he says I can get the Sirius Lynx plug and play style radio and still be able to hook up amps to it.

We will see.

1911/F-350

Observer
Over the weekend I ran some 1 1/2 sch. 10 stainless pipe. I mounted my rear camera to it and ran the cable through it. I will also mount lights, antennas, and whatever else that I might think of. I plan to weld tabs to it for future projects before I paint it black (or have it powder coated or epoxy painted).

My vent visors came in today, I had to connect my Garmin GPS with 7" display to the computer to get it working, and the 7" monitor for the rear camera is nice but I need to reposition it when I install my stereo/sub.

I am getting closer to having it road ready and moving my tools from my 250 into it.

D7365685-91BE-4B0B-9A3F-4DDF721D9369-1256-0000019776B42525.jpg

CF6E0F86-2971-434E-ABCB-F12627E4C4DA-1256-00000197A6602B4D.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1