Enclosed utility bed custom

1911/F-350

Observer
I built my console/sub box last weekend. I want to drive around with it for a week or two to make sure I like it before I skin it.

Everything is just velcroed for now for temporary placement.

6E91778B-5B94-4933-9256-68FB1B75EAE3-4627-00000858DD5BD1CB.jpg

D4697E72-D764-4E75-A713-16FD47E441EB-4627-0000085921CA311F.jpg

I ordered a complete JL Audio system from Crutchfield that should be very impressive. I am looking forward to getting the cab complete so I can start on the camper bed.

I still don't have any solid info on if I am a commercial vehicle or not. It is starting to look like it is up to the officer that pulls me over to what he wants to charge me with. I haven't really researched this matter, just asking around and reading the interweb.

1911/F-350

Observer
My Ranch Hand bumper finally came in and was installed. The install quoted price was $80 and well worth it. Come to find out, the (original) bumper had taken a good hit and both the supports were collapsed inward.

E6753590-4C74-4294-A53D-203846E9248E-4777-00000685BEB9CC7F.jpg

I work slow but efficiently.

I don't like the console that I made so I will rebuild it before I move forward.

I did order some PIAA driving/fog lights to help with trying to see going down the road.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
I really like this build, and I love that you are building it your way because it works for you. No doubt it will see a lot more miles than 90% of the 'expedition' vehicles here.

And don't let anyone talk you out of a CB or nice sound system either, I'm 95% highway miles in my truck and have both, wouldn't have it any other way.

Also, not sure if you have seen it or not but this thread is required reading here on expo in my opinion:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/9034-Post-up-your-drawer-storage-system

Keep it up dude!

bftank

Explorer
Over the weekend I ran some 1 1/2 sch. 10 stainless pipe. I mounted my rear camera to it and ran the cable through it. I will also mount lights, antennas, and whatever else that I might think of. I plan to weld tabs to it for future projects before I paint it black (or have it powder coated or epoxy painted).

My vent visors came in today, I had to connect my Garmin GPS with 7" display to the computer to get it working, and the 7" monitor for the rear camera is nice but I need to reposition it when I install my stereo/sub.

I am getting closer to having it road ready and moving my tools from my 250 into it.

D7365685-91BE-4B0B-9A3F-4DDF721D9369-1256-0000019776B42525.jpg

CF6E0F86-2971-434E-ABCB-F12627E4C4DA-1256-00000197A6602B4D.jpg

that top bar on your rack in front might be a really good spot for an led light bar. if you were planning on some extra lighting. looks really good!

1911/F-350

Observer
I really like this build, and I love that you are building it your way because it works for you. No doubt it will see a lot more miles than 90% of the 'expedition' vehicles here.

And don't let anyone talk you out of a CB or nice sound system either, I'm 95% highway miles in my truck and have both, wouldn't have it any other way.

Also, not sure if you have seen it or not but this thread is required reading here on expo in my opinion:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/9034-Post-up-your-drawer-storage-system

Keep it up dude!

Thanks Ed; I am building this for me and no one else. I am almost always by myself on the road and if there is someone in the passenger seat, more than likely I am not concerned with what they think of my ride or their comfort. :D

Here is the top of the console I made:

D6FCC040-E1BC-46D7-AB14-FC14C3599EF4-4128-000005FFF23971F6.jpg

The function is good, it's all at my reach but I just don't like the look. Again, everything is just velcro'ed down until I decide what to do.

I still need to build shelves going up the back wall before I am done with the cab.

The single JL 12" sub will make your cheeks shake!;)

Last edited:

1911/F-350

Observer
that top bar on your rack in front might be a really good spot for an led light bar. if you were planning on some extra lighting. looks really good!

Thanks tank; I bought 4) 6" LED light bars that I need to mount. 2) on the back corners and one on each side pointing down.

A light bar would be nice on the top bar but my, they sure expensive!

Speaking of expensive; I picked out a nice Yamaha inverter/generator sized correctly so I wouldn't buy one too small.

Everything was good until I saw the price.......$4,000!:Wow1:

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Speaking of expensive; I picked out a nice Yamaha inverter/generator sized correctly so I wouldn't buy one too small.

Everything was good until I saw the price.......$4,000!:Wow1:

Are you planning on powering a small town?!? What size are you looking at?

1911/F-350

Observer
ummm.. why not put the CD player in the dash?

I did that for years and I don't want to do that anymore.

I am building this for what I want.

I want to be able to change anything and everything from a regular seated position. All controls at my finger tips reach.

If you spend 12-24 hours (not common but it happens) driving it is nice to have what you want.

1911/F-350

Observer
Are you planning on powering a small town?!? What size are you looking at?

I think the one I was looking at was the 6,500 watt.

First sized for the AC/Heat unit in the truck. Then add a welder for the truck, that's pushing it. This size could also be used at the house if power was lost.

I don't like under sizing anything. I undersized this truck trying to stay out of the DOT eye but that might be a Fail, time will tell.

The main part of my truck is work.

The plus side of this truck is that it can be "self supported" no matter what happens on the road and maybe I will slow down and enjoy where I am instead of just trying to get to the next "stopping point".

D

Deleted member 9101

If you spend 12-24 hours (not common but it happens) driving it is nice to have what you want.

I definitely agree, but I actually mount things where I have to reach for them. That way it forced me to move around while I drive. Worked when I drove OTR and spent 11 hours a day behind the wheel day after day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1