Flatbed and composite panel build on Dodge 2500

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
No CNC in my shop, but I enjoy doing camper (Airstream) interiors. Lots of curves, lots of head aches!

image.jpg2_zpspdevx2o8.jpg

image.jpg2_zpswo4txkqh.jpg

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I like the contrast between the white cabinets & the dark drawer faces & cabinet drawers.

It'll be interesting to see how well it balances out when the floor & upholstery is put in.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Nice Airstream, always loved their products, it's one of the few RV's out there that you can actually restore! THAT says a lot.

DzlToy

Explorer
Jeep, have you any experience in replacing OEM glass with a laminated or multi-layer glass? As you may well know, it is common to have this type of glass in luxury cars, but not trucks like Jeeps or Mitsubishi FG's. With the latter, the purpose could be three fold: you have a large flat windshield that is more prone to stone chips, you have a high level of wind turbulence due to the cab design and you have a large area of glass that makes heating and cooling of the cab more difficult than in a traditional truck or SUV.

Maybe you used a product like this in your storm chaser truck?

Composite glass (Makrolon, et al) are used in up-armouring and marine applications where impact is a concern, but I do not presume that it would last long off road where tree limbs, road salt and trail dirt would scratch it to bits in short order.

Jeep

I built a fleet of armored trucks a long time ago (working with as a contractor to an armored car company due to location), that was back when EVERYTHING was 2" thick! The storm truck has a film to keep the glass together upon impact, it takes a beating, I watched the testing. If a rock or something smokes a window it will shatter it but it stays intact and in the frame and will take quite a few more hits, it does its job, now put a new one in! Nice thing about that kind of product is it is very light weight. I will have to look up Makrolon. That said, if you truly desire a bomb proof truck....I can actually build you a bomb proof truck! It's pretty cool stuff.

DzlToy

Explorer
Nah, don't need a bomb proof truck by any means, at least not literally. It came up in conversation with a mate of mine and we were looking at it from a sound deadening and insulation standpoint, as compared to standard single pane, non laminated automotive glass (econo-box, work truck, family sedan, etc)

I have seen the impact resistant films used by car audio companies to augment a security system. Here is an example of one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VyKlP2trTrc#t=51

Jeep

Thanks guys, I didn't know that was out there. There is a TV series being pitched, if it goes through, well it's going to be one hell of an adventure! That's all I can say bout that right now!

Jeep

Got a lot done, all DC wiring is in, AC wiring will be performed by a certified electrician. I'm a licensed mechanic by trade and that covers the DC aspect professionally. I was thinking of rewiring the Blue Sea panels, they are acceptable, not really outstanding. The big box is the control for the electric jacks, remote control or in case of emergency hardwired control, or in case of electrical failure they can be manually raised and lowered. The 2 coils are CAT5 and will be shortened up by one of my guys with the right tools for the job. All wiring is accessible, and even the wiring in the external wire channel is easy enough to access, I don't see any of it ever being an issue.
20160207_211505_resized.jpg

20160207_211515_resized.jpg

Solar panels on the roof, just under 1/4" thick. They will be bonded after paint. I'm really thinking of shooting this thing with grey aliphatic, the wire inlet is pretty nice, holds all the connectors in place and provides a weathertight entry point, if I don't spray this (aliphatic is thick and a great sealant) I will cover it with with a self levelling sealant for double redundancy.

20160207_174659_resized.jpg

Hella Marine 22 amp heavy duty water proof 2 pin surface mount connectors for the jacks, the jacks can either be bolted on and stay on or pinned on so the can be quickly removed and disconnected. The power points can then be used for a remote controlled 12 volt margarita mixer!

20160207_210207_resized.jpg

20160207_210225_resized.jpg

Camper jack brackets, 1/4" 6061 aluminum, riveted on with permalock rivets. We know from destructive testing the 4 rivets and a foot of material will take 11 000 pounds, so I'm not even remotely worried about strength, this thing should be under 40 000 lbs. Aluminum jack brackets were about 3 lbs, box of supplied steel brackets and barn door hardware was over 20 lbs.

20160207_175241_resized.jpg

20160207_211025_resized.jpg

Not quite in place but you get the idea. Reico Titan jacks, longest stroke, highest load jacks I could find, pretty stout for a RV part, I was surprised.

20160207_183219_resized.jpg

Jeep

Got some more doors on, starting to look good. My wife was in it and said "you should have done them in black" . Anybody ever see the way Homer Simpson strangles Bart? Went through my mind!

20160207_211643_resized.jpg

Got the Espar configured on a switch, you can run it on the timer super easy which will get you hot water in a couple minutes, or you can run it off of a conventional thermostat. Thermostat has an off switch for convenience too.

20160207_212442_resized.jpg

Here is a shot of the rivets used in this build. They have a 4000 pound shear rating, a 2500 pound pull out rating, and are waterproof to 40 psi. The back side is nice smooth and compact so it won't be adding anything sharp in the wire channels in cases where the jacks and other accessories like the ladder, rear storage locker, and roof rack will be mounted.

20160207_182823_resized.jpg

20160207_182808_resized.jpg

Rebellion

Observer
Mark,
It's coming together nicely, all the finishing touches make it look better every time I see the latest photo's.
Stewart

Jeep

Rolled it over by the door and put the jacks on.

20160209_195602_resized.jpg

Bolted the jacks on, the Hella connector are pretty sweet, and water tight.

20160209_212313_resized.jpg

Stood back, lowered each jack until they hit the ground, and hit the "raise all" button and lifted it up 4' in the air in a couple minutes. The electric jacks are nice, but are in the 200 pound range, hence the quick release, if stays on all summer they will come off. I pretty much anticipate they will come off. I will most likely use my gantry to take it on and off once I put the lifting points and roof rack on, nice to have that option.

20160209_200010_resized.jpg

20160209_200650_resized.jpg

20160209_201433_resized.jpg

20160209_212139_resized.jpg

20160209_212157_resized.jpg

It squatted the truck 2". I am going to weigh it in the morning and see where we ended up at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online