Flatbed and composite panel build on Dodge 2500

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Looking good Mark! One note about the Lodge pole pine panels: They do move a lot! Make sure you give plenty of clearance.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Looking good Mark! One note about the Lodge pole pine panels: They do move a lot! Make sure you give plenty of clearance.

The more I work with wood, the more I'm going to look at ABS! Pine is light, had hardwood picked out but was almost 100 lbs difference. Pine is economical but what I saved on materials, I spent on time and finishing, soft woods suck up an enormous amount of stain, but the bonus is the appearance is easily manipulated with stain, 2 sides to everything. There is clearance built in for the material Andreas, the latches have accommodations for that too so that should all work good. I am looking at some really nice embossed ABS plastic, 1/2" or 3/8" thick, routers really nice, can carve logo into it really nicely, doesn't crack, can't stain it, great screw retention, a few colors available....looking at it for the interior cabinets on our command trailers and such, might find a way into this line too.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The more I work with wood, the more I'm going to look at ABS! Pine is light, had hardwood picked out but was almost 100 lbs difference. Pine is economical but what I saved on materials, I spent on time and finishing, soft woods suck up an enormous amount of stain, but the bonus is the appearance is easily manipulated with stain, 2 sides to everything. There is clearance built in for the material Andreas, the latches have accommodations for that too so that should all work good. I am looking at some really nice embossed ABS plastic, 1/2" or 3/8" thick, routers really nice, can carve logo into it really nicely, doesn't crack, can't stain it, great screw retention, a few colors available....looking at it for the interior cabinets on our command trailers and such, might find a way into this line too.

The warmth of wood is beautiful, but ABS would make for a nice modern "save the trees, pump more oil" alternative look.

Jeep

The light

Got the pine from the router shop today, sunk in for flush mount LED lights. I added a groove in the backside for wiring to run through, the T section is separate but when in place, looks like one piece. That section of trim is all it takes to get wiring from one place to the next, and will also act as the support for the curtain channel. Got it stained, will clear it tomorrow, and all this stuff goes in and I can cap off the wiring.
20160125_195829_resized.jpg

20160125_195846_resized.jpg

20160125_204609_resized.jpg

20160125_205848_resized.jpg

The finish on the wood turned out really nice after a couple coats of clear and a sanding in between. If I were more patient or if this were for a customer I'd keep sanding and clearing until perfect, but it's my own so more than good enough! I used Minwax wipe on poly as suggested by Idaho and Healyjet, nice stuff, no real mess, great finish. The matt on the walnut, on the knotty pine looks really "old".

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Trick details!!
Oh yeah, and nice white Razor for truckin' around the compound. :bike_rider:

Healeyjet

Explorer
Mark, CertainTeed has a line of PVC that is workable with woodworking tools. They make a trim that is embossed with a wood grain pattern or smooth. If I remember correctly they also have a range of trim that can "hide" edges and plug fastener holes. As well it can be painted if required.

Ward

Jeep

Off topic but fun

Snow cat came in for a bit of an overhaul and a new higher roof today. I love these things!
Snow cat.jpg

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
those old tuckers are awesome! have you seen the polar expedition sir edmund hillary did in one? theres some super cool pictures of them crossing crevasses back in the day.

Jeep

Yeah that stuff makes me think I was born 50-75 years too late....but then again I'd be dead now...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My brother in laws. Done up 318 4speed. It's pretty cool!
image.jpg1_zpsbdnolqio.jpg

One from work. 12 valve Cummins auto. It's a totally different world than the one above...
image.jpg2_zpsqmxyswpq.jpg

Nations1

Take a look at the rub-on MinWax poly.

It took me years to even give it a go, but Im pretty well hooked.

Just be sure you have a never ending supply of rags!

Just read this entire thread, as others have said this is simply amazing.

I build high end custom furniture and for years this has been my go-to finish. The MinWax brand is the best available and it is easily repairable.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1