Flatbed and composite panel build on Dodge 2500

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Got the window openings cut out, and a few installed along with the skylights. I had a couple smaller ones that were going to be used in the overhead but they looked and "felt" much better with the bigger windows so I cut the openings larger and ordered up a couple more of the larger windows.

Roof with vents.jpg

Rear window.jpg

Bunk windows 3.jpg

Bunk windows 2.jpg

Got the counter top back, looks good, should have went a little thicker on the stainless skin, but trying to keep the weight in check too, compromises!

Galley 2.jpg

Jeep

What is wrong with this?

I can totally relate to "Point Of No Return" and I'm pretty sure you could too!

Tommy Bahama.jpg

Admit it, it's cool, available in canvas.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Man, point of no return happened long ago for us on this one, LOL

Darn, I can't find a "twisting my arm" emoticon to add.
The fabric will look great. I like the colour. Are you just doing the cushions with it or are you adding a "privacy curtain" between the master bedroom and the rest of the cabin?

Ward

swirvin21

Hard Corps
I curious about your preferred method/product for skylights. I'd also like to know your long-term plan for repairability on the roof structure (or any structure since it's all the same) against hail, water, impact etc. I used to be an insurance appraiser for RVs and have always hated the luan board w/ sealant or vinyl product overlay, but it does allow for easily repaired damage.

Jeep

I curious about your preferred method/product for skylights. I'd also like to know your long-term plan for repairability on the roof structure (or any structure since it's all the same) against hail, water, impact etc. I used to be an insurance appraiser for RVs and have always hated the luan board w/ sealant or vinyl product overlay, but it does allow for easily repaired damage.

This is good info, and I have made repairs and seen repairs on panels made, both composite, and foam core. If the skins are fiberglass, and the damage is a slice/pierce simply use a fiberglass reinforced filler and sand/paint. Or if you have a hole you can cut a section out and replace it with a lap jointed section, finish as previous. Bonded components come off with a knife and some perseverance. If you caved a side in and made a hell of a mess, you have an insurance payout. One thing to note, is these are extremely tough, they will take abuse, water is a non issue, dry it up and fix the leak, with our extrusions and adhesive process the chance of a leak is almost non existent but anything can happen I guess. I never saw hail damage on a composite panel but if the hail is big enough to damage the structure, your day is much worse, and your truck is thrashed too, probably worse. The skylights are Heki, 2 layers of acrylic instead of the typical RV vent, and they are bonded on.

swirvin21

Hard Corps
that's what I figured, but wanted to ask. I'm guessing that anything involving reasonably strong collision may result in totaling the rig with this design since everything is structurally tied together and breaking down the board from the extrusion isn't happening. I've personally seen hail the size of softballs and the amount of damage is shocking. We've done rudimentary testing with frozen paint balls shot through paint ball guns from roofs to test different roofing materials and gone as big as a pneumatic potato gun, it was fun and worthwhile! There have been some great improvements in stick-on poly "armor" used for bulletproofing vehicles, basically a skin to dissipate the force over a larger surface area, may be an option to increase puncture resistance for minimal weight gain. Do these panels need a skin for UV protection?

Jeep

No additional UV protection is required. Do you have any manufacturers for the stick on armor? I have a couple applications for something like that in other areas.

Andreas, where'd your post go? That was good info on repairing delamination. I've fixed a few delams on other manufacturers products, some were easy on the better stuff, the lower end RV stuff was a pain. The lower end stuff was really thin frp bonded to luan bonded to foam bonded to more junk, typical RV stuff. The issue was the luan was either rotten or was basically coming apart, and you just can't get that decomposition factor out of the wall, and in that respect the rest of the wall is generally not far off of the condition that the failed section was.

Swirvin, there is a medic body designed and manufactured in Canada using an extrusion that isn't as structural, and the same panels. They have passed CMVSS (our version of FMVSS, basically a copy) for static roof crush and passed with flying colors, and seeing a few units that were in roll overs and collisions and held up exceptionally well. I'd say a minor collision that would write off a conventional unit would not affect a composite unit anywhere near that degree. There were a couple pics of a Mog that landed on it's side a few years ago posted up on this site, the shell was great, the truck cab was not as good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1