Give me the scoop guys...

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Honestly guys:
I have been coming around expedition portal and hanging out for at least 4 years.
In the field, Land Rover guys are known for their kindness and helpfulness.
I am not sure why all the pent up frustration here.

Perhaps it is the state of the economy. Maybe it is frustration over the fact that neither political party can deliver what they promise. Perhaps the moon is closer to the Earth than ever before in history ... who knows.

There are places on the web where you can show this inhospitable behaviour and be part of the "the crowd" and if you are a land rover person ... you know where that is!

Please keep it civil here. If you can't say something nice ... just don't say anything.

Why folks think they can pound their chest while hiding behind a computer monitor is beyond me. This site is about the spirit of adventure. It is about team spirit (think camel trophy!).

I am not a moderator here nor do I carry any weight. I am simply asking nicely.

Thanks.

Dendy

and to answer the question:
Land Rovers are exciting to own and frustrating to own ... all in one breath. Could a Ford Explorer do the same thing ... possibly. Would it evoke the same spirit of adventure ... I doubt it.
You have to decide that if you go with a Land Rover ... concede that there are good ones and bad ones and if you get a bad one, it can $100 and $1000 you to death. If you get a good one, it'll never let you down.
I currently own 4 and am constantly smiling when I drive and occasionally cry when something goes wrong.
There is something about the marque that simply allows you to run to the corner market while feeling like you are deep in the jungles of Sumatra!

So go into this with your eyes wide open and your check book guarded! :wings:

Thanks folks,
Dendy

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I actually do not see any hostility. I do see some honest opinions though, presented within the forum rules. There is nothing wrong with stirring the pot with some thought provoking opinion - right?

I think the point some are making is to buy the right truck for you. If reliability is a primary factor in your purchase decisions, then run away from the Land Rover. If fuel economy or a long commute is a major consideration, than run away from the Land Rover. I love my Discovery. I love everything about it. I even laughed the other day when it sprung its first leak. I rolled with it when the fuel pump stopped and I got pulled back into Flagstaff by a Land Cruiser. The Land Rover requires a certain perspective change and a certain vigilance about service and spares - then the adventure begins :sombrero:

Buy the right truck. . .

Viggen

Just here...
It is about team spirit (think camel trophy!).

Why is everything Camel Trophy when it comes to Land Rover topics? Thats not the end all be all of the off road world. It didnt even begin with Land Rovers. It began with CJs and believe me that if Jeep offered factory backing, thered be Scramblers or Grand Wagoneers instead of 110s and Discos. Who cares about what was done in the Camel Trophy over 10 years ago. No one runs around on 5" wide tires.

OP, $10k will buy you 2 killer D1s, if thats what you are looking for. A nice 04, what everyone seems to think is the best year D2, can be had for a few grand more. All of this thread has been pretty worthless. There are many buyers guides threads not only on this site but just about every Rover site (lro, dweb, lrr) and they all cover all of this information and talk about everything including the known issues with seats, windows, locks, etc... My suggestion: go drive one of each and decide which you like best. I bet that, since comfort and daily driving is what youre looking or, youll like the D2 better. Then, go search out an 04 and be done with it. If its a D1 youre looking for, thats when the fighting will really begin. Most say 99 D1 as the best year. I say 94/95 and some will pick something in between like 97. If it is a D1, then all of alias, err, somethingExpeditions Disco Doomsday scenarios might mean something.

Explorer
Please keep it civil here. If you can't say something nice ... just don't say anything.

Why folks think they can pound their chest while hiding behind a computer monitor is beyond me. This site is about the spirit of adventure. It is about team spirit (think camel trophy!).

I am not a moderator here nor do I carry any weight. I am simply asking nicely.

People should speak their minds, its insightful. I've learned a lot about LR ownership on this thread and gotten to know some people a little better because they weren't afraid to express themselves.

I have respect for the OP in how he has handled the situation also. Its clear that another issue has been brewing and he just happened to walk in at the wrong time. He hasn't seemed rattled or offended by it.

I can't muster up those same feelings of respect for those jumping in and trying to censor what is being said. Corralling people into how you feel they should act? Its like walking out onto a football field and trying to get everyone to hold hands instead of score points. Get off the field and go play with crayons if you don't like the intensity.

waterweber

Observer
As I said, you guys seem to really like this stuff.
IMHO running people down for asking questions is a good way to run off new enthusiasts and a good way to lose sponsors for this board.
Fewer people on the board = less chance of reaching customers = no sponsors = pay site/no site
I realize that we are all big boys and can take care of themselves, but personal attacks based on a question that someone asks or what's in their signature line is out of line. Its not what this board is about. I dont care if SeaRubi is punished or not really. I do care that there seems to be a lack of common courtesy and a willingness to just let it slide.
Have fun running people out of your little kingdom here guys.

Scott Brady

Founder
Who cares about what was done in the Camel Trophy over 10 years ago. No one runs around on 5" wide tires.

I care. . .

It was a genuine gentleman's adventure. We need more of that in the world IMO.

And the tires were so much wider than 5". They were 7.5 ;)

Viggen

Just here...
I care. . .

It was a genuine gentleman's adventure. We need more of that in the world IMO.

And the tires were so much wider than 5". They were 7.5 ;)

Great. There are things like the Rainforest Challenge and all. It just gets old that everything LR related is automatically Camel Trophy this, and Camel Trophy that. You can run your 7.5" wide and everyone else will take advantage of better width tires. Its all personal preference but super skinnies make no sense on my side of the world.

Unless the OP gets out there and actually drives a D1 and D2, nothing will come of this. Better yet, he should just go buy a 100 Toyo LC and be done with it. You either have a passion and drive for a Rover or you buy a Land Cruiser, which makes much more sense from a $$$ point of view.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Hey, and I run 7.5 tires ... every day!

I guess my point was the CT events were about team building. Seems we could do some of that around here and hoist a beer at the end of the day! ;)

D

Scott Brady

Founder
It just gets old that everything LR related is automatically Camel Trophy this, and Camel Trophy that.

There is a huge appeal with those events. The Land Rover brand and Camel Trophy were joined at the hip for over a decade. That has shaped many of our opinions and biases.

The first 4wd article I ever read was about the Camel Trophy - it captured my imagination and has to a small degree shaped my life ever since.

Viggen

Just here...
There is a huge appeal with those events. The Land Rover brand and Camel Trophy were joined at the hip for over a decade. That has shaped many of our opinions and biases.

The first 4wd article I ever read was about the Camel Trophy - it captured my imagination and has to a small degree shaped my life ever since.

I discovered the Camel Trophy through the CJ's that were run early on and then it grew into Land Rovers. I came to Land Rovers from my MGs, Triumphs, Austin Healeys, etc... that were my living not too long ago. Thats why I made the statement that he should just buy a 100 series Land Cruiser. He wont have to worry about seats, windows, alarms, or electrics in general if he does. With anything British, you have to have a connection with it because the REALLY make no sense when it comes to ownership. They cost much more than they should to keep on the road AND have a bunch of weird little issues across the line. You either have it in you to own one or you dont. He sounds like he doesnt. He sounds like he is caught up in the 'look' of a Rover and nothing else.

ExpoScout

Explorer
I discovered the Camel Trophy through the CJ's that were run early on and then it grew into Land Rovers. I came to Land Rovers from my MGs, Triumphs, Austin Healeys, etc... that were my living not too long ago. Thats why I made the statement that he should just buy a 100 series Land Cruiser. He wont have to worry about seats, windows, alarms, or electrics in general if he does. With anything British, you have to have a connection with it because the REALLY make no sense when it comes to ownership. They cost much more than they should to keep on the road AND have a bunch of weird little issues across the line. You either have it in you to own one or you dont. He sounds like he doesnt. He sounds like he is caught up in the 'look' of a Rover and nothing else.

Are you kidding me? I always thought they looked stupid and top heavy to be completely honest.

And in case you didnt read...which it appears you didn't...There are only so many newer vehicles that have a reliable 4wd system (and actually CAN go off road reliably), is spacious, comfortable, has a solid axle (though there are some places where I would make an exceptions for this), etc, etc....out of those, Disco's are the cheapest. By far. I literally could buy three Discos for the price of one 4runner or (insert model here).

Viggen

Just here...
And in case you didnt read...which it appears you didn't...There are only so many newer vehicles that have a reliable 4wd system (and actually CAN go off road reliably), is spacious, comfortable, has a solid axle (though there are some places where I would make an exceptions for this), etc, etc....out of those, Disco's are the cheapest. By far. I literally could buy three Discos for the price of one 4runner or (insert model here).

No, I read it. So, you want one because they are cheap? Thats not a good attitude to go into this with as you will end up having it on the market a few months later.

I had looked at Rovers several years ago, but it just didn't work out.

So, why didnt it work out several years ago when these vehicles were that much newer and probably better maintained? Theyre still "cheap" and now youre in for more issues since, more than likely, the previous owner has given up.

What to look for, and Ill say it again, is up to which one you like. Go on Craigslist, find any D1 and D2 in your area and drive them back to back. Then decide which you like more. When/ if youve decided that the D1 isnt refined enough for you, youll go for a D2. When you do, youll be faced with miles and miles of electronics and a more car like interior. It will be more comfortable but it will be more complicated in every way. Once youve decided you want a D2, then come back and ask and you might have more luck with a typical "what year" style question. Im not going to go on a Bronco board and ask whether I should get a 1974 or an 1994. They couldnt be more different. Im going to decide whether I want an OJ-mobile or early Bronco by experiencing them both first and THEN Ill ask what to look for. Im in the middle of looking for a fly fishing pole. Cant buy one until I know what it is I plan on fishing, where I plan on fishing, what style of casting I plan on using, etc... You cant just ask "which rod should I buy?" You have to make some basic decisions first and then go into the search part. Im not being argumentative but thats the way it should work. Same with a D1 or D2.

Do this and if you decide D1, Ill be the first to tell you what I have personally found needs to be looked at by screwing with mine more than just internet lure. If its a D2 you are looking for, there will be owners here who can help you decide based on their personal owner experiences.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Are you kidding me? I always thought they looked stupid and top heavy to be completely honest.

Discos are pretty top heavy as well.

As for D1 vs D2, all the D1 guys are trying to install D2 cupholders, even down to the cupholders, D2s are better ;)

-Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1