Group Flip Pac Camper Rain Fly Buy

Looks great bb. :drool: How about putting it on and testing it for rain by spraying the top with a garden hose and plant sprayer :snorkel: :REExeSwimmingHL: for a while? And of course the obligatory questions... when can we order? how much? when will they be made? (not that I'm anxious at all)

gwg2426

Also am coming to this late but would definitely be interested based on the final price. The prototype looks very good. Does it include the tie down loops or just a bungee at this point?

dcabcody

Looks pretty good. A bit better than my blue tarp. Any chance you could head a thousand miles north for a few cold wet nights of camping?? :elkgrin:

The vent areas look good too. The extra base loops should work great for extra bungees. Thanks man!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Looks to be a significant improvement over the FRP design. Rolls up much smaller, but that may be good or bad depending on how good the material is - the FRP material is very thick and heavy duty.

I know you mentioned a bungie drawstring around the bottom edge and some buckle straps under the lid, but in high winds some velcro straps that attach around the legs up front, the hinges in the middle and the latches at the rear would be real helpful and easier to use than cords, ropes or straps IMO.

Last edited:

billy bee

Adventurer
Looks to be a significant improvement over the FRP design. Rolls up much smaller, but that may be good or bad depending on how good the material is - the FRP material is very thick and heavy duty.

I know you mentioned a bungie drawstring around the bottom edge and some buckle straps under the lid, but in high winds some velcro straps that attach around the legs up front, the hinges in the middle and the latches at the rear would be real helpful and easier to use than cords, ropes or straps IMO.

The fabric is about t same weight but the coating is heavier. Final fabric selection is TBD, but it is comparable in weight to the FRP fly and probably better quality.

It packs tighter, I think, b/c the battens come out. Regarding Velcro and alternative attachment options, I think Karl will stick with the loops, bungee, and ladder buckles. He may consider adding custom options for a few extra bucks, but to keep costs reasonable, he'll keep it simple.

Lastly, mine does not have windows. I plan to add them to mine. Not quite sure how Karl will be pricing these, but windows may be more expensive. I know it will make the fly heavier and bulkier.

ddawson

Adventurer
Just found this thread and I too am interested. I have been holding off on the FRP version and I like the look of this one. Thanks for your effort.

billy bee

Adventurer
Good morning all. I have been posting from my iPhone. Pls excuse any typos. 45 degrees outside, 50 inside. Maybe not an apples/apples comparo. I doubt the fly could make it colder in here.

billy bee

Adventurer
I think the original hand-raisers who were interested in a fly have already ordered one. Thanks for your support on this project, guys. I think we ended up with a better product because of your input.

The flies will be widely available soon and have some nice features and options. Keep an eye here for purchase info.

Thanks,
Bill

SD_Nissmo

Observer
Jury out on waterproof??

Guys,

Just back from a miserable Mojave Road trip with the FRP fly that is NOT in any way waterproof.

Any luck on waterproof properties of the new fly? Very interested as I would love to extend my flip pack's camping season.

Let me know!

NotAMog

Observer
Any updates on the group buy? I finally took delivery of my FlipPac this weekend. The FRP rain flys are still back ordered. This one may be a better option.

billy bee

Adventurer
Guys,

Just back from a miserable Mojave Road trip with the FRP fly that is NOT in any way waterproof.

Any luck on waterproof properties of the new fly? Very interested as I would love to extend my flip pack's camping season.

Let me know!

I camped with mine in the rain last weekend. I stayed dry. I think the weight of the coating is an important factor. I compared mine to a stock FP one and mine seems like the same weight fabric, but perhaps the coasting is thicker/heavier.

How old is your fly? The coating breaks down over time.

bb

newmexflippacker

I camped with mine in the rain last weekend. I stayed dry. I think the weight of the coating is an important factor. I compared mine to a stock FP one and mine seems like the same weight fabric, but perhaps the coasting is thicker/heavier.

How old is your fly? The coating breaks down over time.

bb

Hey there...just happened to do a google search and found you guys! So excited! Can I purchase one of the flys yet? I actually liked the two toned burgundy look. Anyhow HELLO FELLOW Flippackers! Glad I found this site!:wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1