LR3 Hitch Options?

unseenone

Explorer
That's the idea, it needs to work right, or it will end up working like the others for a lot less coin. It will probably happy like I did this project or or less from a discussion point of view.

stew77

Received my Rhino Hitch from Todd and installed it a couple months ago (I know, I know...). I finally installed my brake controller this week (running a Tekonsha Prodigy 3), an I'm very much looking forward to a test tow before we start camping next month.

Hitch is amazingly built, and I want to thank Todd for designing and manufacturing the best hitch hands-down (IMO) for towing with the LR3, LR4 & RRS!!! (especially for those of us that are towing heavy loads > 5000 lbs).

Here a few quick shots with mine installed (ended up going for the FERROGRAIN finish, which is the more matte finish and also a great match for the lower trim finish on my LR4). A couple shots in the full-sun, and one in the shade.

DSC05860r_zpspg65vzqg.jpg

DSC05861r_zpscux8srqw.jpg

DSC05866r_zpselpn0rep.jpg

Looks awesome. Any pointers on the brake controller install? Does LR have a connector for them under the dash that you just plug in and goes back to the factory 7 pin wiring?

Also, Todd, I love the lanyard on the pin and keeper. When I order mine can I get it with the lanyard on a key ring for both sides that way I can install my locking pin without having to cut the lanyard? Looks like the pin is not removable on one side cuz the lanyard is swaged direct to the pin.

Just curious. That design is super clean, fit, form and function is on point.

unseenone

Explorer
I'm not sure what you are asking for on the Lanyard. The coated cable has a crimp on it, it could be disassembled... If you wanted some lanyard material I'll see if I can get some for you. You can also visit the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DifferentialPartsUS

OK, I think you are asking if you can get rings installed so you can attach other stuff-- It is not built that way, I'll see what I can do..

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you are asking for on the Lanyard. The coated cable has a crimp on it, it could be disassembled... If you wanted some lanyard material I'll see if I can get some for you. You can also visit the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DifferentialPartsUS

OK, I think you are asking if you can get rings installed so you can attach other stuff-- It is not built that way, I'll see what I can do..

Sorry for the delay. Yes, what I mean is that you have it crimped directly to the pin meaning I would have to cut the lanyard to be able to remove the pin completely and install my locking pin. I was just wondering if you thought of making the lanyard loop have a keychain type ring on the end so the lanyard remained attached to the hitch, but the pin could be replaced with a locking one and still have the use of a nice lanyard you have provided.

Example attached: Notice the key ring type removable ends for the swaged/crimped lanyard loops.
Lanyard.jpg

unseenone

Explorer
Yes-- the cable has the crimp on it, it could be done this way as a one off, I don't have a tool to make the new crimp though. Have to see what the hardware store has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1