Monsoon Season in Arizona

Willman

Nice job guys!

Keep them coming!

Our weather is looking like we will get some of that action this week!

:coffee:

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Brad (Tuscan4R) has been getting some great lightning shots by using a 15 sec exposure, f8 iso 100. He is using a remote shutter release to prevent shake and to be able to kick and enjoy a beer at the same time (I made up the last part but $5 says I'm right:elkgrin:)

I was out of town for few days and just saw this. Yep, you are correct on the settings I used for the last few lightning captures. Once set up and focused it's a piece-o-cake as long as you have an active storm willing to participate.

There is definitely and adult beverage of choice involved in the process. Makers Mark in my case. :sombrero:

Thanks for the tip. I went out at dawn using similar settings (as close as I could get with a P&S) and was able to grab the following...

...and a few quail before getting chased back home by the storm. :REOutShootinghunter

Not nearly as fine as the examples here, but I was very happy to see focus AND lightning in the same capture for a change. :D

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I do believe you have it down now. Nice capture. :wings:

Many of mine are cropped to accentuate the lightning. Unless you want to keep the lighter clouds on the left you can try cropping down to cut some of the lighter left and black foreground on the bottom, leaving just the upper right third of the image. The remaining image should increase the presence of the lightning.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Brad, lets see the results from last night . . . It was a heck of a storm and a **************' sunset from the west side of town.

Marisa and I were right at the top of Tumamoc hill when the last cell came in -- the wind was so strong she had trouble standing -- of course that only added to the challenge of walking down the hill while getting pounded with rain mixed with hail. I wish I would have had a camera (and the time to use it).

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Brad, lets see the results from last night . . . It was a heck of a storm and a **************' sunset from the west side of town.

Marisa and I were right at the top of Tumamoc hill when the last cell came in -- the wind was so strong she had trouble standing -- of course that only added to the challenge of walking down the hill while getting pounded with rain mixed with hail. I wish I would have had a camera (and the time to use it).

I regret to inform you that last night I chose to just sit on the porch and enjoy the storm with my wife without taking any photos. :(

It was an amazing storm and very entertaining. :wings:

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I regret to inform you that last night I choose to just sit on the porch and enjoy the storm with my wife without taking and photos. :(

It was an amazing storm and very entertaining. :wings:

Bummer (for those of us who enjoy watching this thread).

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Bummer (for those of us who enjoy watching this thread).

I agree and I am ashamed of my lazy behavior and lack of caring for others' needs.

Although my wife did enjoy sitting with me for once without a camera stuck to my face. :elkgrin:

Sexy6Chick

Adventurer
The storm yesterday sucked, mainly because my truck was out in a massive hail storm. Damaged 2 skylights at work. One girl's windshield was cracked. My truck suffered about 30-40 dents, all on the hood and roof. Only pictures I managed to capture were with my iphone.

65164_802448045743_22200984_43608092_6411827_n.jpg

65209_802452516783_22200984_43608135_1114497_n.jpg

37132_802457481833_22200984_43608274_5312575_n.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Nice capture. :victory:

It looks like the lightning missed it's target and couldn't find the ground. :elkgrin:

ywen

Explorer
i tried to do some lighting photography last week but chickened out as I couldn't judge if there were lighting activity above me.. Are there any safety guidelines?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online