More proof that Jeep is the leader in 4x4 overland vehicles

FJC Scout

Observer
You know when I started this thread I wanted to title it different but I knew it would get the Toyota and Land Rover Fan Boys panties in a ruffle. This thread also showed me that the Toyota and Land Rover guys are bored in there section of the forum and they hang out in the more active interesting Jeep section of the forum.

So, you're freely admitting to being a troll.

Admirable.

I like Jeeps. I just would not use one for over landing or expeditions. Just too small for me. On the plus side, when they break down, there are plenty of parts out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I don't have the time to read through 40 pages but just wanted to add that I spotted a Jeep Unlimited CRD in Cortina D'Ampezzo (Italy) today.
It was almost new and very attractive in black with a charming Italian woman driving it.

:)

grimbo

Explorer
You know when I started this thread I wanted to title it different but I knew it would get the Toyota and Land Rover Fan Boys panties in a ruffle. This thread also showed me that the Toyota and Land Rover guys are bored in there section of the forum and they hang out in the more active interesting Jeep section of the forum.

I'm neither of those. The Darien Gap expedition was 50 years ago so has no relevance to today's choice of vehicle.

You really are blind to the facts, around the world they aren't the vehicle if choice for over landing trips. They are popular recreational 4x4s with great reasons, price, capability and ease of modification

Didn't realise that there were secret areas of the forum where brand ownership included some sort of secret handshake to access. Drop the narrow minded brand blinkers and look into other sections you may learn something

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I can't believe you guys are still feeding this F'stick......
This thread has to be part of the top 10 all time threads of shame....
Just plain stupid!

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Yeah, it's pretty shameful--

Somebody could setup a North American Poll for Jeeps/Toyotas/Volkswagons--whatever-

That would eliminate the US-course, that wouldn't please a lotta guys on this thread !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIIMBO

marktutone

Adventurer
So, you're freely admitting to being a troll.

Admirable.

I like Jeeps. I just would not use one for over landing or expeditions. Just too small for me. On the plus side, when they break down, there are plenty of parts out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hate this thread and I started it.
I own a Toyota FZJ80 and a Jeep TJ. My Land Cruiser has 20000 more miles than my Jeep. Both have gotten the same amount of preventive maintenance. The Toyota is leaking like a sinking ship and my Jeep is just as tight as it was brand new. All the mechanical stuff on the Jeep is original from the factory. Shocks muffler everything. I have had to replace the shocks on the Toyota and they need changing again. I replaced the original shocks with OME ones. Just as it is a personal choice of vehicles you pick my personal experience with Toyota has been that there reputation for never breaking down is a myth. I have dropped a lot of money into my Land Cruiser including the initial purchase. I want people to know from my experience that the in my humble opinion and experience the Jeep should be at the top of their list of vehicles to purchase when buying an overland vehicle.

marktutone

Adventurer
I'm neither of those. The Darien Gap expedition was 50 years ago so has no relevance to today's choice of vehicle.

You really are blind to the facts, around the world they aren't the vehicle if choice for over landing trips. They are popular recreational 4x4s with great reasons, price, capability and ease of modification

Didn't realise that there were secret areas of the forum where brand ownership included some sort of secret handshake to access. Drop the narrow minded brand blinkers and look into other sections you may learn something

I would have to say you are the one who is blind. The Toyota's being used around the world are 10 to 20 year old vehicles. The only real off road vehicle that Toyota puts out now is 70 series land cruiser. All the IFS vehicles are weak and need to be heavily modified for real off road use. Right now as we speak the Jeep is making ground in the world of overlanding. As far as the Darien Gap this same argument was going on when Mark Smith was planning his expedition and he went with stock Jeeps for expedition.:Wow1:

grimbo

Explorer
No they aren't and no they don't. You need to travel outside io the US

Hang on so are Jeep the leader or making in roads? Two very different things

marktutone

Adventurer
No they aren't and no they don't. You need to travel outside io the US

Hang on so are Jeep the leader or making in roads? Two very different things

Yes the thread is titled wrong. I was trying to see what kind of reaction I would get out of the Toyota and Land Rover crowd. I did not expect the reactions that I have read in this thread. When it comes to the non Jeep owners they can get really pissed off if you even insinuate that Jeep is the leading the way.
My wife is from Panama. My brother lives in Panama and yes there are millions of Toyota's but there are Jeeps and Fords and you name it they have it. There are Jeeps, not as many as Toyota's but they are there. I guess it would be like owning a Mercedes or BMW in the U.S. Mercedes has about 2% of the market but they are still a leader in luxury vehicles. Panama is kind of a middle of the ground 3rd world country.

grimbo

Explorer
Why would you try and troll and then not expected to get called on it? Especially on an international forum about over landing?

There isn't one brand of vehicle that is the chosen one but just because Jeep are selling well doesn't translate into it being the default vehicle either.

I think you'll find it's not the Toyota or Land River crowd reacting, it's those who know the claim isn't true. Brand loyalty has nothing to do with that aspect.

And no I don't own either of those brands

marktutone

Adventurer
Why would you try and troll and then not expected to get called on it? Especially on an international forum about over landing?

There isn't one brand of vehicle that is the chosen one but just because Jeep are selling well doesn't translate into it being the default vehicle either.

I think you'll find it's not the Toyota or Land River crowd reacting, it's those who know the claim isn't true. Brand loyalty has nothing to do with that aspect.

And no I don't own either of those brands
I think your wrong about the crowd reacting. The insults hurled were to personal. There has never been a default vehicle but numbers of sales tells you what people are buying. If you get an A you are doing well in school. If you are getting an F you are doing bad. A couple of points. One why would you buy a vehicle from a company that is not listening to the user group. There are Americans who love the Defender 110 but Land Rover said sorry we are not going to develop this vehicle for the U.S. Market. There is a segment of users who would love the LC 70 but Toyota for what ever reason will not develop that vehicle for the U.S. Crowd. Ford did the same thing with the Ford Ranger. They never sold 4 door Rangers in the U.S. and now do not sell them at all. Jeep is listing to the users of their vehicle. They cried for the Rubicon and they got it. Users wanted part of what the Rubicon had to offer and they came out with the Willys Wheeler. Looking forward in this world of political correctness it seems that Jeep is in it for the long haul for its users.
As far as today’s overlander we need to look at the guys who paved the way for us and they took a more simplistic mode of operating. Now with these super luxury vehicles no on gets out to smell the roses anymore. Over time I have changed my thinking to Less is More.
Look at the picture below. He crossed the Sahara desert with that vehicle. Notice his knees go above the door. I love this picture and it is my new guide to how I think when I am preparing for a trip.
TomSOLLRCool.jpg

grimbo

Explorer
That's a Landrover and once again stop looking at it as a US thing. All the vehicles you mention are for sale around the world.

I have actually no idea what you are even trying to argue now so bye bye

marktutone

Adventurer
That's a Landrover and once again stop looking at it as a US thing. All the vehicles you mention are for sale around the world.

I have actually no idea what you are even trying to argue now so bye bye

What I am trying to say is as an American you should put your money into a vehicle who supports and listens to its users. Eventually companies like Land Rover and Toyota will listen to their users and give them what they want. Eventually those legacy vehicles that Land Rover and Toyota make that you say are being used around the world will no longer be manufactured. Then what? Jeep is setting an example that there can be money made from people who want these types of vehicles. Those type of people are everyone in this forum. I hope that explains what I am trying to say.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I said earlier--TAKE A POLL-

Set up a thread for North America and AT LEAST it'll show this forums diehards-

Nah, to logical and useless--jeep wins

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design