My Jeep FC170 (Forward Control) "Patina Rod" project

1x1_Speed_Craig

great thread and build!

Thanks! :)

My 47RH transmission (rebuilt) is ~2/3 prepped for paint. I'm breaking out the Dremel with micro brushes, which I already used on the t-case, next.

fc_drivetrain_47rh_rebuilt_preppingforpaint.jpg

I got half of the NP241DHD transfer case painted, and will paint the other half this coming week. The Aluma Blast paint looks great (it's the first time I've used this paint). It's not shown in the photo, but I also got a transfer case driveshaft slip yoke from a guy in Minnesota (retired, and used to own a driveline shop). I'll eventually bring it, along with the stock Super Duty rear driveshaft, into a driveline shop to have a custom rear shaft built.

fc_drivetrain_np241dhd_partially_painted.jpg

Also on the way from Minnesota (different guy) is this vintage (Dodge) shifter that was pulled from a '72 Winnebago Indian Class A RV with a TF727 auto transmission (the cable is 103" long!). These shifters were originally dash-mounted, but will probably end up installed on the floor of my truck due to cable length constraints due to the mid-engine set-up.

fc_drivetrain_vintage_shifter_1.jpg

fc_drivetrain_vintage_shifter_2.jpg

The rear portion of the Super Duty frame is now top-coated, as well (first coat...one more to go later tonight). This will allow me to reinstall the rear springs & Dana 80 dually axle once I finish painting them (hopefully before winter).

fc_chassis_frame_partialy_painted_1.jpg

Charles R

Adventurer
A dash mounted shifter would look great! You should be able to find morse cable suppliers pretty easily, once you determine the length you need. I've worked with vw powered sand rails that sometime used 120"-ers, and the shop I worked in even carried 144" inch for the mid engined four seat type buggies. That cable type is also extremely common for boat steering mechanisms.

1x1_Speed_Craig

A dash mounted shifter would look great! You should be able to find morse cable suppliers pretty easily, once you determine the length you need. I've worked with vw powered sand rails that sometime used 120"-ers, and the shop I worked in even carried 144" inch for the mid engined four seat type buggies. That cable type is also extremely common for boat steering mechanisms.

Thanks for the information, Charles. It looks like a longer cable will certainly help, and I'd LOVE to mount it on the dash. If you have any suggestions for suppliers of these Morse cables, I'd certainly love to hear who you'd recommend. I didn't even realize what the cables were called, so thanks for the education.

Update:
While in Orlando for work this past week, I was fortunate enough to finally meet my FC friend, Darrell C. He lives in Kissimmee, which is only ~10 miles from where my work conference was being held. Darrell made the time for a 10-minute "power visit" in a very small window of time I had available. It was great to meet him, and his FC170 is BEAUTIFUL! Ironically, we had both shipped each other some small FC parts within the week prior, and had no idea we'd have the chance to meet up.

fc_misc_darrel_creekmur_1.jpg

Darrell's FC170 has a 350/700R4, and J4000 axles (Dana 44/60).

fc_misc_darrel_creekmur_2.jpg

fc_misc_darrel_creekmur_3.jpg

Darrel had actually just sent me some GM D-body (Cadillac) door window sweep seals, which he had just installed on his FC. The seal appears to be much better than the original FC felt ones. I set them on the shelf for a future install once the project is further along.

fc_cab_gm_window_seals.jpg

I did some misc. transfer case black paint work today—PTO cover, poppet plug, fill/drain plugs, and some bolts (no pics, though). The t-case is almost done. I also got most of the accessories removed from the Dana 80 today—sway bar, brake lines, e-brake cables, and calipers. I'll get the other leaf spring removed tomorrow.

fc_chassis_dana80_mostly_stripped.jpg

unkamonkey

Explorer
Slacker, get to work and finish that thing. Quit tapping away on your computer and get out there and git it done.
Really, you are doing something unique. I've always wanted a FC so I'm a bit jelous. A Mitso Fuso FG is as close as I have come to a FC and I have the parts out back to put another 3B together so I can't point any fingers. Carry on.:ylsmoke:

1x1_Speed_Craig

Slacker, get to work and finish that thing. Quit tapping away on your computer and get out there and git it done.
Really, you are doing something unique. I've always wanted a FC so I'm a bit jelous. A Mitso Fuso FG is as close as I have come to a FC and I have the parts out back to put another 3B together so I can't point any fingers. Carry on.:ylsmoke:

LOL. I'm trying!

That FC your friend Darrell has is quite an amazing thing. Love the colour in it, very sharp.

It certainly is a great-looking truck.

My buddy has bought some morse cables from this company, http://www.midwestcontrol.com and liked them. I haven't had a need yet.

One of these days I may join your FC fun! I have my eye on one right now. :)

Thanks again.

Just a small update...

The NP 241 DHD is now completed. Pretty little bugger. On to the 47RH prepping & painting next.
fc_drivetrain_np241dhd_completed.jpg

I also started making a speed sensor plug for the Dana 80 DRW rear axle. I cut down a BIG Super Duty bolt, and will be plug-welding it to the 3/16" plate I cut/shaped to fit. I'll seal the shortened bolt "plug" with Permatex Ultra Gray gasket maker.
fc_chassis_dana80_speed_sensor_delete_1.jpg

1x1_Speed_Craig

I finished up the Dana 80 speed sensor delete. It's now primed, and ready to install once I clean up and prime/paint the area on the axle under the plate location.

fc_chassis_dana80_speed_sensor_delete_2.jpg

fc_chassis_dana80_speed_sensor_delete_3.jpg

We'll also be hauling this one-owner 1994 Dodge Cummins 2500 home tomorrow. It runs great, but the (2WD) transmission has some OD engagement quirks. The price of the truck was very reasonable, and it'll give me a lot of the little parts that'll help my build. I'll keep the core of the truck in-tact and running regularly until I'm ready to install the engine (probably spring). This also means that I'll be selling the Cummins 6BT I already have (message me if you're interested in it; guaranteed to run well).

fc_drivetrain_1994Dodge2500Donor.jpg

fc_drivetrain_1994Dodge2500Donor_cummins1.jpg

fc_drivetrain_1994Dodge2500Donor_cummins2.jpg

fc_drivetrain_1994Dodge2500Donor_cummins3.jpg

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
hey man im finally getting around to starting on my FC150 and I was wondering what are you planning on doing to repair your cab corners. I have done a little bit of looking and from other forums i found that the Cab Corner - 47-54 Chevy & GMC Truck would be something to use and would need a little massaging in but also there is a company in India that has continued to produce the FCs up until 1998. that model is the FJ-460 but I have sent them an email a yesterday seeing what kind of parts they have still out there. I might also have a lead for a utility truck bed also. Thats the route i want to go also.

1x1_Speed_Craig

This week, I sold the first Cummins 12v I bought to an acquaintance who happens to be a diesel mechanic. He took a look at my new engine while he was here, and said everything looks good at a glance. He said the turbo felt great, and had no unexpected play. I have a fair share of degreasing to do, some gaskets, addressing the KDP, and then clean-up & paint. I think I'll weld casters to the underside of the frame, hack it behind the motor, and have a temporary dolly to wheel it around the garage while I clean it up and work on it.

Maeve (my youngest) helped me with some teardown on my "new" Cummins donor truck, while Mira prepped her '97 Cherokee (XJ) sway bar for paint. They were both productive little members of society today. We did get a primer coat on Mira's sway bar, and also on my F350 rear shackles.

fc_drivetrain_dodge2500_teardown_with_girls.jpg

Unfortunately, after a "Patina Rod" driveline discussion with my diesel mechanic buddy earlier this week, I realized that the input shaft on my spiffy-clean '01 NP241 DHD transfer case is actually too short for the '94 47RH transmission. It looks like it won't even be long enough to seat into the seal on the rear of the transmission, so I'll have to buy a longer replacement shaft and try to install it without buggering up the shiny new paint. Two steps forward, one step back. So it goes.

1x1_Speed_Craig

If you're hanging on the edge of your seat for Earth-shaking progress, you'll have to keep waiting patiently. I'll again disclaim that I'm more "crock pot cooking" than "microwave fast" when it comes to my builds. Part of this is by choice, and because I'm detailed, and the other part is due to balancing this hobby (habit) with a full-time job and a family. In more recent years, I've learned that balance is of the utmost importance (I'll call that "wisdom", I guess).

As I get closer to reassembling the rear of the truck (springs/axle install), I knew that the bushings on my rear shackles looked a little rough. I checked with the Ford dealer about replacement bushings only to find that they don't offer just replacement bushings, but rather just complete new shackle assemblies for $80 each. Ouch! Instead, I called AB Spring Service here in Grand Rapids, and they installed new bushings for $54 total (both shackles). I then top-coated them with my stand-by Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black paint.

fc_chassis_refurbished_shackles.jpg

I did order yet another Eastwood paint product I haven't worked with before, and that's Radiator Black paint. It's a low-build paint that I got to pretty up the stock Dodge intercooler.

p746.jpg

Most of my time has been spent tearing down the '94 Dodge pick-up. With the help of my loving wife, we got the Dodge cab slid off the frame after I finished stripping the interior (the cab was lighter than I expected, actually).

fc_misc_dodge2500_teardown_1.jpg

fc_misc_dodge2500_teardown_2.jpg

$4.68

That's the amount of change (and most of a $1 bill) I found behind the dash, under the seats, under the carpet, etc. I also found a previous owner's (or driver's) expired driver's license. Aside from some scattered gum wrappers, that's about as exciting as my exploratory mission got.

fc_misc_dodge2500_teardown_loose_change.jpg

In the evenings, I've been doing some Cummins maintenance/service research online, and in the FSM. I'm making a list of gaskets, etc. I'll want to pick up the next time I get to the local Dodge/Cummins dealer (I'm planning on going with genuine Cummins gaskets). I'm also planning on an extra vacation day around the Thanksgiving holiday, and hope to finish prepping and painting my 47RH transmission.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1