My Jeep FC170 (Forward Control) "Patina Rod" project

1x1_Speed_Craig

i was reading this thread and saw kewanna and thought huh i think i know where that is, the you said you stoped at cock a doodle... small world haha im in nappanee just south of that. now back to reading the rest of the thread lol

Cool. I grew up in Edwardsburg, and worked in Elkhart & Goshen all through high school & college.

zetabird

ive worked in goshen and elkhart, im glad im back in town working lol. keep up the good work i always thought the fc were neat

big a

Adventurer
I appreciate you posting all the stuff about eastwood paints. I'm in the middle of a rebuild myself and it's good to see real world examples.

How well does the chassis paint hold up assuming you've used it before? I've been on the fence about which direction to go on my frame, i.e. powdercoat, raptor liner, paint...

Thx,

Andy

1x1_Speed_Craig

I appreciate you posting all the stuff about eastwood paints. I'm in the middle of a rebuild myself and it's good to see real world examples.

How well does the chassis paint hold up assuming you've used it before? I've been on the fence about which direction to go on my frame, i.e. powdercoat, raptor liner, paint...

Thx,

Andy

Hi Andy. This is the first full frame I'm painting with Extreme Chassis Black, but I've used it on axles, a trailer cargo box, etc. and have been happy with it. Ease of touch-up is a consideration for me, too. Some of the other options would be tougher in that regard.

1x1_Speed_Craig

I got the 2WD 47RH transmission removed from the engine last weekend, and shortened the "Dodge frame dolly" by about 16"...easier storage, and easier to wheel around the garage. I'm underwhelmed by the original Dodge frame; I'm glad I went with the Super Duty frame, which is easily 2.5x the thickness of the Dodge frame.

fc_drivetrain_cummins12v_dolly.jpg

Back to my original 226 engine cylinder head lighting project. My friend, Scott, was nice enough to machine the back of the cylinder head to lighten it up. It started out at a portly 41.2 lbs., and ended up at a svelte 18.0 lbs. It's still heavy, but a couple lag bolts will hold it just fine.

fc_misc_cylinderhead_machined.jpg

I have a switch & cord temporarily wired to it, but will be having a wall switch & dimmer wired so there won't be a cord hanging down from it. And here's how it looks! The photo doesn't do justice to the spiral pattern in the Edison bulbs. It's visible in-person, but not in the pic.

fc_misc_cylinderhead_lit_up.jpg

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Very cool, I love those edison bulbs, a dimmer will bring out their character even more.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I got the 2WD 47RH transmission removed from the engine last weekend, and shortened the "Dodge frame dolly" by about 16"...easier storage, and easier to wheel around the garage. I'm underwhelmed by the original Dodge frame; I'm glad I went with the Super Duty frame, which is easily 2.5x the thickness of the Dodge frame.

fc_drivetrain_cummins12v_dolly.jpg

And...we have Cummins gaskets (lots of them), seals and thermostat. I picked a few more up today, along with a new set of head bolts. Once the weather breaks, I'll break out the degreaser and power washer, and get to work making the engine as pretty as the trans & t-case. The engine runs great; I'm just going to re-gasket the engine.

fc_drivetrain_cummins_gaskets.jpg

Back to my original 226 engine cylinder head lighting project. My friend, Scott, was nice enough to machine the back of the cylinder head to lighten it up. It started out at a portly 41.2 lbs., and ended up at a svelte 18.0 lbs. It's still heavy, but a couple lag bolts will hold it just fine.

fc_misc_cylinderhead_machined.jpg

I have a switch & cord temporarily wired to it, but will be having a wall switch & dimmer wired so there won't be a cord hanging down from it. And here's how it looks! The photo doesn't do justice to the spiral pattern in the Edison bulbs. It's visible in-person, but not in the pic.

fc_misc_cylinderhead_lit_up.jpg

Love it!

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
So I was shuffling stuff around storage the other day and forget I had a handful of things I got from government liquidation. Not sure why it made me think of your build but...*shrugs*
So question 1 is: Are you planning to run AC in the FC?
2: think you'd want one of these oddities and see if it would work?
In a nutshell it's a heater/AC (I think) unit used in the dash of I believe military semi trucks. Seems like a retro fit or semi-stand alone deal similar to the fat part of say a CJ heater box. Has baffles, ports for the heater core, some cables, and a fan control deal. Next time I make a run to storage I'll snap some pics.may be useful, maybe not? But I sure don't need all 5 or so.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1