netbooks

mandywilliams

RE: Netbooks

Netbooks (sometimes also called mini notebooks or ultraportables) are a branch of subnotebooks, a rapidly evolving category of small, light and inexpensive laptop computers suited for general computing and accessing web-based applications; they are often marketed as companion devices.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Netbooks (sometimes also called mini notebooks or ultraportables) are a branch of subnotebooks, a rapidly evolving category of small, light and inexpensive laptop computers suited for general computing and accessing web-based applications; they are often marketed as companion devices.

Ooo kay... I think we all knew that. ;)

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
That sounds pretty good I just picked up the ASUS UL80 running w7 I am using Delorme Topo 8 and Nat Geo Topo software currently using the delorme pn 40 for the gps but have a LT-40 on the way.
I have a BU-353 antenna that I have never got to work correctly so its off to the side.

In case it's motivating... I have several customers using the BU-353 w/ Windows 7. Great GPS if you can get it working.

Good luck,
Craig

craig

I don't know a whole lot about the BU - 353- What's the problem with it and windows 7? and how does it work with xp? can anyone tell me what the data format is that comes out of the device?

The BU-353 is a $36 SIRF III chipset based USB GPS. The SIRF III chipset is the same chipset that you find in popular GPS units like the Garmin 60CSx. It is very sensitive so it works under treecover much better than most GPS units and it locks onto satellites extremely fast. It is a fantastic GPS receiver.. especially when it can be purchased for $36!

There is no problem using it with any version of Windows including Windows 7. It spits out either NMEA0183 version 2.0 data to a COM port or SIRF Binary. Usually when people have trouble with this GPS it is because they have one of the following misconfigured:

- Set to output SIRF Binary instead of NMEA0183
- They are running the GPSInfo Setup/Diagnostic tool at the same time they are trying to connect it to their software. Only one program can access the GPS at a time
- Incorrect baud rate
- Have their software pointing to the wrong COM port

Note: Look into Xport or Fransson GPSGate to run multiple pieces of software at once with the same GPS)

rambrush

Adventurer
The BU-353 is a $36 SIRF III chipset based USB GPS. The SIRF III chipset is the same chipset that you find in popular GPS units like the Garmin 60CSx. It is very sensitive so it works under treecover much better than most GPS units and it locks onto satellites extremely fast. It is a fantastic GPS receiver.. especially when it can be purchased for $36!

There is no problem using it with any version of Windows including Windows 7. It spits out either NMEA0183 version 2.0 data to a COM port or SIRF Binary. Usually when people have trouble with this GPS it is because they have one of the following misconfigured:

- They are running the GPSInfo Setup/Diagnostic tool at the same time they are trying to connect it to their software. Only one program can access the GPS at a time
- Incorrect baud rate

Note: Look into Xport or Fransson GPSGate to run multiple pieces of software at once with the same GPS)

I did try all of the above it still argued with me, also tried it on a vista setup laptop

opie

Explorer
I just got the Delorme Earthmate GPS LT-40 loaded onto the HP.

This is slick.. I like it. Very quick too, albeit with a bit of a learning curve.

I think it took less than 1 minute to get a fix, inside.

I also put a 2 gig ram chip in to replace the 1 gig.

cactusjk

Explorer
Agree the BU-353 is amazing!!

- Incorrect baud rate

craig

I did try all of the above it still argued with me, also tried it on a vista setup laptop

Did you install the drivers? What software have you tried it with?

Sounds like you might have acquired a unit with a manufacturing defect though.

craig

Okay- Since you blew me away with the answer to that question, here's another one-

I'm running a program called Network Stumbler and to run a GPS with it you need the device to provide one of the these inputs-

NMEA 0183
Earthmate
Garmin Binary
Garmin Text
Tripmate

Can you tell me which of these data transfer systems are the best? I know that the BU-353 uses the NMEA, and clearly the Garmin's use the Garmin, and Earthmate and Tripmate are Delorme, so my question is what is the best of those systems to use?

(keep in mind that I'm not be up for carrying my laptop backpacking... but i'd be up for buying a BU-353 and a GPS...)

Each of those protocols has their own pluses/minuses.

Compatability: NMEA0183 is an industry standard way of communication information between different devices. Nearly every GPS supports this protocol in some form or another. So, from a compatability point of view NMEA0183 is the best.

The other protocols are published, but not as well supported.

Performance: GPS data comes in rather slow, so even the 4800 baud NMEA0183 standard works just fine. There are newer GPS units that output at much higher speeds, but the NMEA0183 standard specifies 4800 baud. If your software (NetStumbler) and your GPS support a binary protocol like Garmin Binary, SIRF Binary, etc then that will be more efficient but again for this it really doesn't matter. You don't need a firehose to wash your hands.

Capability: The main reason there are proprietary/binary protocols is so the full features of each GPS chipset can be accessed. Like most standards based protocols NMEA0183 doesn't include all that's necessary to fully interact with the GPS. The binary protocols include this extra functionality. Most likely however, your software won't do anything with this extra information.

I'm a big fan of NMEA0183 and other standard protocols. I don't like to encourage manufacturers to invent their own protocols even if they share the standard. You can decide for yourself, but I'd encourage you to use the common NMEA0183 protocol unless you find that there is a compelling technical benefit to using the proprietary binary protocols.

Craig

rambrush

Adventurer
I have tried Topo 7 & 8 on the Vista laptop 32 bit then topo 8 and nat geo on the win 7 64 bit laptop tried everything on page 6 -8 went to there website and downloaded the drivers for win 7 which are on there over the ocean website and not the u.s. website.

Did you install the drivers? What software have you tried it with?

Sounds like you might have acquired a unit with a manufacturing defect though.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Of the bunch, I like the Lenovo Ideapad S10-3T. The version I like has these specs:
1.83GHz N470 Atom Pineview Atom processor (that's faster than the typical 1.66 MHz N450)
2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
10 inch capacitive multi-touch display
Windows 7 Home Premium
2.5 lbs
$649

Note that the capacitive display works with your fingers only, no stylus. And it does not include any scribble to text converter. The touchscreen is primarily for navigation, not for note taking. I think the Lenovo X200t is the only model above that includes the ability to digitize a stylus input
so you can take handwritten notes on the screen.

Best Buy has a slightly different version of the S10-3t, N450 (1.66GHz), 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD, and W7 Starter, but with the 8=cell battery for $450 online only. In and out of stock...when I ordered mine it said 2-3 weeks for delivery and within a day I had a shipping notice.

UPS says that it arrives tomorrow. I'm upgrading from an ASUS 1000HE w/the N270 processor, so we'll see how that changes (should be the same speed, just lower power usage)...I have Nat Geo, Delorme TOPO, and Mappoint running through an old Delorme bluetooth GPS and it works great now, we'll see how things work on the Lenovo, I'm excited for the touchscreen!

Some cool things I'm looking forward to:

Has buil
  • t-in SIM slot, just add PCI-E antenna and sim card. Has an external antenna connection for better reception. If I want I can use the PCI-E slot for a Crystal HD card (for running HD video) or wifi-N/BT card...so many options!
  • Swivel screen, so I'll be running most apps in tablet mode
  • I have upgrade to W7premium, which allows multi-touch, that should be fun playing with.
  • will be using this software (http://www.traviscomputerservice.com/) as a basic interface when in exploring mode. Simple and clean, nothing fancy.
  • Eventually will get around to learning Ozi Explorer, but I've been pretty lucky w/the delorme, natgeo products and don't travel outside the US, so no major need just yet.
  • Eventually i'd like to get a better bluetooth GPS, but have been pretty lucky w/my beater earthmate so we'll stick w/what works.

Appolyon

Quick though....

I'm upgrading from an ASUS 1000HE w/the N270 processor, so we'll see how that changes (should be the same speed, just lower power usage)...I have Nat Geo, Delorme TOPO, and Mappoint running through an old Delorme bluetooth GPS and it works great now, we'll see how things work on the Lenovo, I'm excited for the touchscreen!

Some cool things I'm looking forward to:

• will be using this software (http://www.traviscomputerservice.com/) as a basic interface when in exploring mode. Simple and clean, nothing fancy.
  • Eventually will get around to learning Ozi Explorer, but I've been pretty lucky w/the delorme, natgeo products and don't travel outside the US, so no major need just yet.
  • Eventually i'd like to get a better bluetooth GPS, but have been pretty lucky w/my beater earthmate so we'll stick w/what works.
Evldave-
How does the 1000HE handle the Nat Geo, Delorme TOPO, and Mappoint? What Delorme? I'm thinking about making my Asus 1000HE my car comp, so i'm curious....

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Evldave-
How does the 1000HE handle the Nat Geo, Delorme TOPO, and Mappoint? What Delorme? I'm thinking about making my Asus 1000HE my car comp, so i'm curious....

It works reasonably well, I use both Delorme Streets plus the TOPO 8.0...I have low expectations for a netbook, so I'm happy, but screen writes, especially on the TOPO at close zoom while traveling fast in the car struggle to keep up...for most stuff, I've had no issue just zooming out a bit and then it can keep up.

Nat Geo works just fine for pretty much everything - I've had it crawling around offroad and it tracks ok, and screen writes are fine.

Mappoint has no issues at all, tracks great in the GPS mode (not nearly as good as a dedicated GPS, but pretty sweet directions).

One thing I've struggled with is switching apps, i seem to be able to switch between the delorme products (using earthmate connection) and mappoint (using NMEA connection), but the moment I try and switch to Nat Geo it claims the port and nothing else works until I restart...I'm sure there's some solution out there, but I haven't messed around with it enough...I have also been unsuccessful at using my 60Cx and the Earthmate at the same time (either through BT or USB). Maybe someday I'll get around to figuring it out, but for now, it's too much of a hassle.

As for using the 1000HE as a car computer, I've had mine just sitting on the drivers seat, mounted on the dash, and also rigged over the center console...it's just a little too big for my H3, I think in a full-size it would work fine, but a driving factor switching to the tablet was smaller footprint w/the screen collapsed. If I had the space, I wouldn't hesitate to use it though...I've dropped mine from about 3 feet, on, screen open, and hit the front corner by the keyboard...no damage, no HDD crash or anything...I got lucky, but it's been super durable for me and seems like it would handle washboard fairly well (certainly better than my old compaq I was using as my car laptop)...

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
So a quick update...I'm typing this on my S10-3t in tablet mode (virtual keyboard)...I'm using a Tilt w/internet sharing to get my 3g, I have my delorme GPS feeding Topo in the background while I'm feeding a webcam feed of our sons bball practice to my wife via gmail chat...I still get a ton of typos but the virtual keyboard works pretty good...this should work very nicely for in-car PC + at-home internet fun machine :sombrero:

daverami

Explorer
Evldave-

I think an SSD will work in the 1000HE, they are getting pretty reasonable, and are fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1