netbooks

haven

Expedition Leader
It's almost impossible to keep the Asus EEE models straight.
There's a pretty good database online here http://products.liliputing.com/

Asus EEE 1000 HE
http://www.liliputing.com/2009/03/asus-eee-pc-1000he-review.html

Asus EEE 1008 HA
http://products.liliputing.com/products/?id=483
recently announced, just started to ship
The 1008 HA is part of Asus' "Sea Shell" line
very thin, tapered edges
3 cell battery that is fixed in place.

I can't find a review that says if the 1008 HA memory can
be upgraded by the owner without voiding the warranty.

If you like the 10008 HA, consider the Asus EEE 1005 HA, which is
the same except for a 3 or 6 cell removable battery. There might
be access to the RAM slot under the battery.

Chip Haven

cactusjk

Explorer
You can upgrade the 1008 memory. The 1005s don't come out to latter this year. There will always be something better out there! The HE has received great reviews and the 1008 looks pretty good for now.

It's almost impossible to keep the Asus EEE models straight.
There's a pretty good database online here http://products.liliputing.com/

Asus EEE 1000 HE
http://www.liliputing.com/2009/03/asus-eee-pc-1000he-review.html

Asus EEE 1008 HA
http://products.liliputing.com/products/?id=483
recently announced, just started to ship
The 1008 HA is part of Asus' "Sea Shell" line
very thin, tapered edges
3 cell battery that is fixed in place.

I can't find a review that says if the 1008 HA memory can
be upgraded by the owner without voiding the warranty.

If you like the 10008 HA, consider the Asus EEE 1005 HA, which is
the same except for a 3 or 6 cell removable battery. There might
be access to the RAM slot under the battery.

Chip Haven

sundaypunch

Observer
Now that the 1008 is being released, do you think the price will drop on the 1000he? I'm considering the 1000he but don't want to spend $370-ish then see it for $50 less everywhere a week later.

haven

Expedition Leader
First, the size of netbook screens rapidly moved from 7 inches to 8.9, 10.1 and 11.6 inches as manufacturers sought the most usable layout, and as affordable large screens became available. Now, netbook builders are seeking to differentiate their models by offering choices in screen resolution.

The large majority of netbook displays have a resolution of is 1024 x 600 pixels (also referred to as WSVGA resolution). This resolution is a lot lower than typical laptops, particularly in the vertical dimension. The low resolution can give the feeling that you're looking through a mail slot at the program you're using. This is tolerable for email and simple web operations, but it becomes a burden with more complex tasks.

Below I have listed a few netbooks that have a higher screen resolution. Please add models you may know about.

Chip Haven

-------------------------------------------
8.9 inch screen, 1280 x 768 (WXGA)

HP Mini-Note 2133 (VIA C7 processor)
1280 x 768, 8.9 inch screen

Gigabyte Netbook M912V, M912X
touchscreen, swivel tablet display

10.2 inch screen, 1280 x 768 (WXGA)

Lenovo S10-2
Announced May 2009

10.1 or 10.2 inch screen, 1366 x 768 (WXVGA)

Dell Mini 10
1366 x 768 option, $35

HP Mini 2140 (Intel Atom processor)

11.1 inch screen, 1366 x 768 (WXVGA)

Sony TT series
Intel Core 2 Duo processor
this model is a little too large, and a lot more expensive, than a typical netbook

11.6 inch screen, 1366 x 768 (WXVGA)

Acer Aspire One 751
available today

BenQ Joybook Lite U121
announced, not shipping

ASUS 1101 HA
announced, expected in July

[edit] Gateway LT3100
announced, coming soon
AMD single-core Athlon CPU
ATI Radeon X1270 GPU
2GB RAM, 250GB disc
3.14 lbs, $399

12 inch screen, 1280 x 768 (WXGA)

Lenovo IdeaPad S12 Netbook
Intel Atom processor
nVidia Ion graphics
coming soon

Samsung NC20
Via Nano processor
Via graphics

Dell Inspiron Mini 12
Intel Atom processor

HP Pavilion DV2
AMD Neo processor, ATI graphics processor
This machine is a little too large and too expensive to be considered a netbook

8 inch screen, 1600 x 768

Sony Vaio P
a little too expensive to be a netbook, IMO

haven

Expedition Leader
Acer One 751H

I've been using an Acer One 751H netbook for a few days. Here are my impressions.

The 751H is the first netbook I've used that has an 11.6 inch screen with 1366 x 768 pixel resolution. The screen is very legible. I find myself leaning a little closer to the screen to read the small text!

The 751H is equipped like a full size laptop would be. The model I have includes 2GB RAM and a 250 GB hard drive. The case has slots for Ethernet, VGA video, 3 USB ports and a flash card reader.

Other netbooks I have used have 1024x600 pixel displays, and I feel this resolution is uncomfortable. I have to run web browser windows at full screen, and even then I frequently need to scroll from side to side to view web pages (even some on ExPo).

The 1366 x 768 screen, in contrast, lets me view web pages without using up the entire screen. This lets me jump to another application, or click on items on the desktop without minimizing the browser window. Very useful!

While the 751H has a great display, I'm less satisfied with other components. The Intel Z520 processor is slower than the Atom 270 processor found in most netbooks. In combination with Windows Vista, the X520 makes this netbook seem very slow sometimes.

The 751H measures about 11 by 8 by 1 inches, smaller than a sheet
of printer paper. It weighs 2.75 lbs with a 3 cell battery. I find the 751H to be as easy to carry around as a smaller netbook.

The larger dimensions allow the 751H to have a larger keyboard. The 751H's keyboard is only 3/8-inch narrower horizontally than my desktop machine's keyboard. So touch typing is very easy on the 751H.

I don't like the Synaptics software chosen by Acer to control the touchpad. It supports several "gestures" made with one or two fingers to control actions like zoom in and out, go back one page, and so on. I turned all these features off.

Battery life so far is OK. I have not run the 3 cell battery to exhaustion, but I'd guess the 751H can run for about 3.5 hours before needing a recharge. That's enough for my uses.

I'm not happy with the mouse button below the trackpad. It has a pivot in the middle, so you press the left side of the button for a left click, and the right side for a right click. The springs under the button require a very firm push for the click to register. The button action feels cheap, and may be the reason I return the computer.

Another pet peeze is the glossy screen and plastic bezel surrounding the screen. They cause lots of reflections, and easily show fingerprints. Oh well.

In summary, I really like the larger screen, and I can deal with the 11 x 8 inch packaging. I don't like the slow performance, trackpad button and "gesture" software. So I'll keep searching for a new notebook.

[edit] I purchased at Wal-Mart for $389. A few days later, Costco has the same machine for $349. Sigh...

Chip Haven

----------------------------------
specifications:

Acer Aspire One 751

price: about $400

Intel Atom Z520 1.3 GHz
Intel US15W chipset

Vista Home Basic

2GB RAM
DDR2 667/800 MHz SODIMM SDRAM

250 GB 2.5 inch hard drive

access panels on under side to access RAM, hard drive and 3G modem slots

CrystalBrite display 11.6 inch 1366x768 (WXGA)

web cam and microphone
stereo speakers
Acer video conferencing software

10/100 Mbps ethernet
802.11b/g WiFi
Bluetooth 2.0

slot for optional 3G modem from cell phone carrier

11.2 in x 7.8 in x 1 in

2.75 lbs with 3 cell battery, 2200 mAh
2.95 lbs with 6 cell battery, 5200 mAh

Multi-touch touchpad
circle motion to scroll
pinch action to zoom
page flip

3 USB 2.0 ports
VGA output for external monitor

multi format flash card reader SD, xD and Memory Stick

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Have you considered downgrading to XP? I'm not a fan of doing that on a full function workstation but sometimes you have to do what needs doing to suit the hardware. Just be thankful it doesn't run a VIA C7 I guess.

haven

Expedition Leader
ExPo computer form factors

Computers that are useful in the cab of an adventure travel vehicle take several shapes. Here's a description of the differences between netbook, tablet and slate computers. All run standard Windows software and have GPS available, so you have several choices for navigation and route-finding software, as well as for general computing.

Netbook

The netbook is a class of portable computer that is lightweight, inexpensive, and smaller than standard laptops. The netbook form factor has a hinge connecting the LCD screen to the back of the keyboard. When closed, the LCD screen and keyboard face each other, providing protection.

Today, a 10 inch diagonal screen is common for netbooks, but they can be found with 7, 8.9, 11.6 and 12 inch screens, too. Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo, MSI, and Samsung are just a few of the companies that sell netbooks.

Netbooks require a relatively large space in the cab of a vehicle. It's useful for the mount to rotate from side to side so both driver and passenger can use the computer.

Tablet computer

When the LCD screen is mounted on a swivel rather than a hinge, the layout is called a tablet computer. The swivel allows the the screen to be rotated 180 degrees, so it's visible when the case is closed. Since you can't use the keyboard when the screen is closed on top of it, a touch-sensitive screen is employed. You use a stylus or your fingertip to control the computer when the keyboard is hidden.

Tablet computers are designed so you can use them while standing. One arm cradles the computer, leaving the other hand free to make notes and control programs. Since a tablet computer is used while walking around, the screen tends to be smaller than a netbook, which is generally placed on your lap or on a table.

Tablet computers you can buy today include
Asus EEE PC T91 (9 inch screen)
Gigabyte M912X (9 inch screen)
Kohjinsha SC3 (7 inch screen)

Announced but not yet available are:
Asus EEE PC T101 (10 inch screen)
Kohjinsha SK3 (7 inch screen)

Because tablet computers can be used without the keyboard sticking out, they take less space in the vehicle cab. Substituting a touch screen and finger for the conventional touchpad also can be lead to easier operation while the vehicle is moving.

Slate computer

When the computer has no keyboard at all, it's called a slate. When you need to type, slate computers display a virtual keyboard on the touch-sensitive LCD screen. Most of the time, you control the slate using a stylus or finger on the touch-sensitive screen.

Slate computers are thinner and lighter than tablets or netbooks. Some are small enough to hold in two hands and type with your thumbs. Or you can hold the slate with one hand, and use the other hand to execute programs with a finger or a stylus.

Many slate computers include a Bluetooth radio, so you can use a Bluetooth-attached portable keyboard when you need to do more typing.

A slate computer can be mounted into or on top of the dashboard of your vehicle. Korean manufacturer Viliv includes a stand for its slates that uses a big suction cup to mount onto the dash or the windshield, like a Garmin or Magellan car navigation gadget does.

Examples of slate computers on the market today:
Viliv S5 (4.8 inch screen)
Viliv X70 (7 inch screen)

Slate computers that have been announced, with delivery to start this Fall:
Archos 9 (9 inch screen)

Two slate computers that don't run Windows deserve mention.

The Crunchpad (12 inch screen) probably will run a version of Linux to keep the price down to $300. Details are expected later in July.
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/06/03/crunchpad-the-launch-prototype/

There are rumors that Apple will release a version of the iPod Touch with larger screen, possibly called the "iSlate." This would seem to be a no-brainer for Apple. There are many thousands of applications available in the iTunes store for the iPod Touch.

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
Viliv S7

Viliv, the Korean company that has received many positive
reviews for their S5 and X70 mobile internet devices, has
now announced a new tablet pc, the S7.

http://www.myviliv.com/eng/product/s7.asp

As the name suggests, the S7 has a 7 inch screen. Like other
tablet pcs, the S7's screen is on a swivel so you can open
the device like a conventional netbook. Or you can rotate the
screen so it covers the keyboard. Then you use a stylus or
fingertip to control the computer.

The S7 hardware is familiar netbook fare: Intel Atom processor,
1 GB RAM, 32GB SSD, display with 1024 x 600 screen resolution,
and Windows XP operating system. Optional is a 3G or WiMax
wireless modem.

Price for USA is not set, but should be around $650. The tablet
computers tend to be priced at a premium these days.

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
With the arrival of Windows 7 this week, the makers of netbooks and small notebooks are introducing new models. Here are a few of the new offerings. Prices are from Amazon.com

The base configuration of Netbooks continues to be 10.1 inch display with 1024x600 resolution, 1.6 GHz Atom N270 processor, 1GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive, now with Windows 7 Starter Edition in place of Windows XP . Win 7 Starter lacks the Aero graphics features of other versions of Windows 7.

* Gateway LT2022u – 3 hour battery, $300

* Acer Aspire One AOD250 - 3 hour battery, $320

* Dell Inspiron Mini 10v – 3 hour battery, $330

* Lenovo IdeaPad S10-2 – 6 hour battery, $350

* Samsung N130-13P – 5.8 hour battery, $351

* Toshiba Mini NB205 – 9 hour battery, $380

I expect to see 10 inch netbooks with Windows XP offered below $250 to make room for these new models.

Netbooks with 250 GB hard drives are more common now.

10.1 inch netbook with Win7 Starter, 1.6GHz Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB RAM, 250 GB hard drive

* HP Mini 110 – 3.75 hour battery, $380

* Asus Eee PC 1005HA-MU17 – 8.5 hour battery, $350

The bump in processor speed to 1.66 GHz raises prices significantly
10.1 inch netbook with Win7 Starter, 1.66GHz Intel Atom N28 0 CPU, 1GB RAM, 250 GB hard drive

* Asus Eee PC 1008HA – 6 hour battery, $430

* Samsung N140-14R - 7.5 hour battery, $401

* Asus Eee PC 1005HA-PU17 – 10.4 hour battery, $400

Raising the screen size to 11 inches with 1366 x 768 resolution is an option more manufacturers are offering. These machines typically use a processor from Intel's Consumer Ultra Low Voltage (CULV) line.

11.6 inch, 1366 x 768 laptop with Win7 Home Premium, 2GB RAM, 250 GB drive

* Gateway EC1440U – 1.3GHz Intel Celeron 743 single core CPU, 6 hour battery, $400

* Toshiba Satellite T115 – 1.3GHz Intel SU2700 single core CPU, 8.5 hour battery, $450

11.6 inch, 1366 x 768 laptop with Win7 Home Premium, Intel Pentium SU4100 dual core CPU, 3GB RAM

* Acer Aspire Timeline AS1810TZ – 320GB HDD, 8 hour battery, $550

* Gateway EC1430U – 320GB HDD, 7 hour battery, $550

* Dell Inspiron Mini 11z - 2 GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 4 hour battery, $550

The HP Mini 311 is an interesting variation on this theme. It uses the NVIDIA ION graphics chip, which means it can play games and movies better than the standard Intel graphics can. There's a group working to make this machine compatible with Apple's Snow Leopard operating system.

* HP Mini 311 - 1.6GHz Intel Atom N270, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB drive, NVIDIA ION LE, 11.6″ 1366 x 768 display, $400

Some small notebooks offer a faster Core 2 Duo processor, and still claim good battery life

* ASUS UL20A - 12.1 inch, 1366 x 768 laptop with Win7 Home Premium, 1.3GHz Intel Core 2 Duo SU7300 dual core CPU, 2GB RAM 250GB HDD, 7.5 hour battery, $590

* Acer Aspire Timeline AS1810T- 1.3GHz Intel Core 2 Duo SU7300 dual core CPU, Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 8 hour battery, $600

Sony continues to operate in a world of its own, with unique pairings of processor and screen size

* Sony Vaio P – 8 inch laptop with Win7 Home Premium, 1.33GHz Intel Atom Z520 CPU, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, 1600 x 768 display, 3.5 hour battery, $850

* Sony Vaio Mini W – 10.1 inch netbook with Win7 Starter, 1366 x 768 display, 1.66GHz Atom N280 CPU, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 7 hour battery, $500

chuck45

Observer
Things are looking up. But I notice no mention of tablets above. What I really want is a 10" tablet with a screen resolution a bit better than 1024x600. For mounting in my JK Wrangler and for use with Overland Navigator I just want the keyboard out of the way (but I want a keyboard available for email etc). In a bigger vehicle it may not be an issue.

Have you heard of anything like the above in the pipeline?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1