Overland XJ Build. Not my first Rodeo.....(video included)

Overland History

Wanderluster
Deep water in an XJ is troublesome.

The alternator does not like it, and sits low in the engine bay.

I've had issues with that just hitting deeper puddles on the road after a rain.

Like the build, and really like sticking with the 'poverty pack' wheels...I think they look the must rugged and fit the utilitarian look of the Cherokee just right.

I agree, there is absolutely no real way to waterproof an alternator because they do need to breathe, but the reason for the Snorkel setup is cheap insurance to save the engine should I end up dunking it in any number of situations. It's much cheaper/easier to replace an alternator than an engine! ;) One of my spare on-board parts will actually be an alternator.

I also like the wheels I'm sticking with. Very few people seem to run them, so they give it a unique look on a lifted XJ. I've never heard the term "poverty pack", but I like it! :D I've heard these wheels called "sawblades" and they also have "K194" stamped on the inside. Not sure what Jeep's official name for them was, other than 6 spoke steel wheels.

onemanarmy

Explorer
Good idea on carrying the spare alternator. Vehicle won't run long with out it.

They probably aren't officially called poverty pack, I just reference them that way. (no tint, no tach, vinyl seats, steel wheels, etc)

Yea...Sawblades. Those and the older 'turbine' style wheels are the best of the 15' XJ wheels.

zetabird

nice build, i dont feel bad at all about using my first post here lol. right now im slowly building my 88 comanche for some of the same kind of use. id like to build a rack over the bed to put a tend on like that aswell, just not sure if i want it to go over the cab to seeing as the trucks kinda a convertable right now

Overland History

Wanderluster
nice build, i dont feel bad at all about using my first post here lol. right now im slowly building my 88 comanche for some of the same kind of use. id like to build a rack over the bed to put a tend on like that aswell, just not sure if i want it to go over the cab to seeing as the trucks kinda a convertable right now

Welcome officially to the forum! :D There are a lot of great builds and knowledgable people here!

I wouldn't mind seeing a few pics of your topless rig if you would like to start a build thread of your own.

My father and I used to own an '88 Comanche Longbed 4.0L 4x4 without a spec of rust. Bought it for $1900 and sold it for $5500 after I went through the entire drivetrain. Still regret selling it to this day!

zetabird

id love to show it off, it still needs alot of work but its getting there havent been able to work on it much i totaled my bike in july and shattered my ankle so im still not 100 percent.
unfortunately the conversion was done in prolly the 90s the center of the roof along with the back window was all removed and a removable piece of plexi was there it was busted and didnt seal so we made a thick aluminium panel for the rear and im gonna come up with something for the top later or ill reinforce the rails under the cab and just remove the rest of the roof and build an old deuce and a half style canvas top. thats all down the road tho. first is taxes are going into bumpers and floor pans the rails are solid but the foot wells are gone. id throw up a few pictures but photo buckets down ill try later

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
It's a lateral move, really. The current Chrysler 8.25 that's under my Jeep now has 27 spline shafts, as does the D35 that I'm swapping in. I would be spending more than double to do gears and a locker in my 8.25 than what I paid for the entire D35.

Thanks for the sarcasm, though. ;)

Sarcasm is always free with me :ylsmoke:

I disagree on being a lateral move, though. Spline count of the shafts is far from the only strength factor when discussing axles. The D35 is definitely several notches below a 8.25 in terms of strength. I understand why you made the move since it was a good deal but I would personally never want a 35 ever again - much less a locked one. Just keep some spare shafts in the Jeep and you should be fine!

alsmith

Observer
Love your build ....

I know a couple locally building up an overland XJ for a north america tip for their honeymoon lol. They are super nice people and just starting to build their XJ. It's a grey one. Here's a pic. I think he has more on his facebook page if you want message me an I will link it to you. Jaon XJ-0797.jpg

Overland History

Wanderluster
Sarcasm is always free with me :ylsmoke:

I disagree on being a lateral move, though. Spline count of the shafts is far from the only strength factor when discussing axles. The D35 is definitely several notches below a 8.25 in terms of strength. I understand why you made the move since it was a good deal but I would personally never want a 35 ever again - much less a locked one. Just keep some spare shafts in the Jeep and you should be fine!

Clearly.

I'm not gonna sit here and advocate that the D35 is a great axle, but I've seen them take plenty of abuse and live to see another day throughout the many years that I've been involved in the off-road community. Specifically, the axle that's going under my XJ was wheeled hard with 33x12.5 MT's for years and didn't break once. Was that an intelligent thing to do? No. Would I recommend doing that? No.

I've checked the axle shafts and the housing for stress and "true." I found no issues. I know that the axle tubes and housing on the D35 aren't quite as thick as the Chrysler 8.25. I'm not putting an unreasonable amount of weight or torque on the D35 given my setup and light foot off-road. I'm also not building this XJ for hardcore rock crawling. My last XJ was built for that. It will work just fine for my needs and use. I will not be carrying spare shafts due to lack of room, weight saving, and I really don't think I'll need them. If I end up breaking a shaft or spinning a tube, you'll be the second person to know. ;)

As I mentioned before, if I can pick up a D44 for a reasonable price, I will.

Last edited:

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
if I end up breaking a shaft or spinning a tube, you'll be the second person to know. ;)

I appreciate that.

Again, not bashing you at all. I completely understand why you picked it up. I just saw humor in someone swapping in a 35. I know it happens for reasons you've already mentioned; it just isn't what you would normally see.

zetabird

this was when i got it home and spent 4 hours scrubbing the carpet and disinfecting the truck. i still need to track down mj seat pedestals. and i need to come up with a new idea for the top it was alittle rattley along with a large crack at both lower corners so i bolted a thick sheet of aluminuim to the back for now

Attachments

• 20150620_190138_zpsyc27lx8r.jpg
    20150620_190138_zpsyc27lx8r.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 89

zetabird

thats the cheaper snorkel from amazon isnt it, i have the same one lol20151027_121438_zps5cxyrolb.jpg
i have thought about getting a cyclone filter thinngy for the top of it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1