Range Rover Classic vs. Disco II

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I'm trying to decide between two vehicles. which is better and why.

i'm looking at a 94-96 Range Rover Classic

and a 96 and newer Disco II.

can you give me the technical specs on each vehicle. they will be used for trail running. i'll use 33" tall tires on either one with a minimal amount of lift. i'll probably trim the fenders to clear.

thanks

benlittle

Adventurer
Totally different vehicles.

BTW, Disco II's were only built from mid 99-04. Do you mean Disco I?

Minimal lift with 33's? Why? Minimal lift, sure but go with a tire that won't require trimming.

James86004

Expedition Leader
RRCs have a tailgate, which is a major plus in my book. The also have fewer electronics. The chassis and suspension and drivetrain of RRCs and Disco Is are almost identical.

Disco Is have better air-conditioners, and more pockets to store stuff on the inside. There are a lot more of them available in North America.

Disco IIs have different axles, and many of them do not have a center diff lock. This can be easily added for some years, and not other years. There are fewer suspension modifications available, although that is changing. They are quieter on the freeway.

Also, Range Rover Classics were available here 1987-1995, Disco Is 1994-1998 or 99, and Disco IIs from 1999 to 2004.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I honestly can't think of a single time in my Disco when I would have needed a 33" tire.

In re: your two options, the range rover (or "apple") is going to be a more comfortable, longer, potentially less reliable, more vintage feeling, more complex, slightly less off-road capable vehicle. The disco ("orange") has a very short wheelbase, no funky air suspension, roughly the same amount of oil leaks...

Careful....RRC wheelbase were either 100 or 108 if you have a LWB.

Disco I are 100 also.

I don't have Disco II numbers readily available in my leetle grey cells :)

James86004

Expedition Leader
Disco IIs also have a 100" wheelbase, but a longer rear overhang.

SWB RRCs and Disco Is are the same length.
LWB RRCs are 8" longer. Worse breakover angle, but the rear seat is limousine-like.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
do the RRC's have a center diff. lock?

i know the Disco II's can be easily converted to use the diff. lock.

are the axles in the Disco II's any better then the RRC's axles? I've read a lot of people break the stock axles when they add lockers and larger tires. i've been thinking about just putting ford 9" axles front and rear.

i like the Disco because it has a larger motor, and better engine electronics.

this will be used as an expedition vehicle and we are going to start giving guided tours in our area.

michaels

Explorer

are the axles in the Disco II's any better then the RRC's axles? I've read a lot of people break the stock axles when they add lockers and larger tires. i've been thinking about just putting ford 9" axles front and rear.

this will be used as an expedition vehicle and we are going to start giving guided tours in our area.

did you not get a good enough answer on pirate? they answered all of your questions.

benlittle

Adventurer
You're leading guided tours? Sorry but how do you expect to guide people when you know nothing about the vehicle you're doing the guiding in?

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Dude. do you think i can't figure the vehicle out?

i figured someone here could give me a little technical info, apparently not.

James86004

Expedition Leader

87 and 88s have a manually operated CDL. 89s and up lock the center diff with a viscous coupling

On some that is true, on others they left so much out that it is easier to swap the whole transfer case.

I have heard of several people breaking their front diffs on the D2. The RRC and DI axles are more easily upgraded. People are swapping entire Toyota axles into their D2s.

I have driven 2 RRCs a total of 250,000 miles and never broke an axle.

The D2 does not generally have a larger motor. They were all 4.0s, except the 2004 ones which were 4.6.

RRCs had 3.5s 87 and 88, 3.9 in the short wheelbases from 89 on, and 4.2 in the long wheelbases. The Disco 1 had either the 3.9 or 4.0. I don't think there is actually any size difference between them.

I suggest you get on rangerovers.net and start reading. And of all the vehicles above, I would recommend a long wheelbase Range Rover Classic, because your customers will be far more comfortable in its back seat.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
thanks.

we have been working on getting this going for many years. i have spent time on many vehicles. range rovers are a new thing for me. but i'm able to learn to work on anything.

Rovernut

I honestly can't think of a single time in my Disco when I would have needed a 33" tire.

In re: your two options, the range rover (or "apple") is going to be a more comfortable, longer (not necessarily), potentially less reliable (How?), more vintage feeling, more complex (in what way?), slightly less off-road capable vehicle(You're joking, right?). The disco ("orange") has a very short wheelbase(the same as a Range Rover), no funky air suspension(not on earlier Range Rovers, but on some DII's), roughly the same amount of oil leaks...

I can show you plenty of places your Disco will need a 33" tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online