Range Rover Classic vs. Disco II

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
seems like its my browser. i used IE and i got on.

i'm pretty sure you wouldn't survive working on a commander.:victory:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I don't think there *was* any logic to the hiring practices. Just a typical large corporation/Wall Street thinking that Humans are Resources. Fill a building with warm bodies, and proceed as normal. ;)

I have heard the thing about Honda using it's racing program for training. Probably true to some degree, but it's got to be a tiny fraction of their actual engineer headcount.

Actually, the one thing I'll give Chrysler... they were absolutely OBSESSED about fit and finish. I never knew what underflush and overflush meant until I worked with them. Their tollerance on the mating of the grille bracket on the Ram (for which I designed the steel tube bracket) was like +/- 0.5mm. Just crazy. Now I look at the interior of my new GM van, and I can't believe the horible fit and finish of it.

That's the only bad part about working in the auto industry. You learn all these things that destroy your ability to just enjoy a vehicle. ;) I never would have known just how badly my Montana rides if my buddy who was a Ford trained ride guy hadn't taught me about secondary vibrations...

James86004

Expedition Leader
So Rob, maybe you can answer this question for me. My 2006 Chevy Silverado pickup is the basic model. One trim level up from "Work Truck". How did they get that thing so incredibly quiet? It is quieter than our 95 Volvo, our 93 Range Rover, a 2002 Ford F350, and a lot of mid 90s luxury cars. I don't see a whole lot of sound insulation in it, unless it is in the firewall. I know a lot has to do with the windnoise - they did a good job cutting most of that out. But cruising down the freeway is pleasantly quiet.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Well, there's various things to do to combat noise. First, you can stop creating noise in the first place. Stiffer engine blocks, quieter exhausts, etc. Better aerodynamics for wind noise. Then, you can use sound deadening to block it. But one of the unsung heroes is sealing. You can have lots of deadening, but any tiny air leaks can let sound energy in. Block it out, and you don't need so much sound deadening material. I had a Focus that I bought and could instantly tell something was wrong. There was wind noise coming from the corner of the windshield. Sure enough, it had a pin hole in the sealant. And sealing technology is one of the things that have really improved the past 10 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online