Range Rover Classic vs. Disco II

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Nut -

I am referring specifically to the LWB. Shoulda specified... It had a less well-sorted electrical system and the air suspension especially is a known sticking point. The extra length is also a liability on tight tracks.

I apologize for not needing 33's. Give me a disco and I will try to remedy that, but until then I am more than happy to choose my tracks to maximize the incredible off-road prowess of a stock Discovery.

For the record, I loved my Land Rover. It just didn't meet my needs anymore. My vintage Jeep (with 33's) is more reliable, more comfortable, and gets better mileage. Most important of all - I can fit a twin mattress in the back. Oh, and it costs $100/year to insure.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I can show you plenty of places your Disco will need a 33" tire.

A 33" tire with a 3" lift on a rangie or a disco will take you through the Rubicon, the Dusy, and everywhere you need to go. If someone needs "more tire", I suggest they learn how to drive first.:ylsmoke:

I have never had an issue with the electronics on my LWB, with the exception of the alternator pooping out at 130K miles. I replaced my stock axles with HD stuff from Keith (RoverTracks.com). I replaced the air suspension with 3" lift springs from RTE.

I do not have lockers or a center differential locker - I have the famed viscous coupling. I have gone through places just fine where trucks with lockers have gotten stuck.

Learn how to drive. Learn how to pick your line. Spend some time with Bill Burke.:coffee:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
getlost4x4, i know you from commanderforum, i would stick to jeeps if i were you. you dont want the f-n headaches. and wasted money.

That's funny coming from a Jeep guy. I don't believe modern Jeeps are one bit more reliable than a Land Rover. Just my professional opinion.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
-I'm partial to the RRC over the D2. Simpler and easier to repair, less expensive up front cost.
-I've owned a '95 Jeep XJ and a '96 Disco at the same time. The XJ had more problems and cost more to fix than the disco ever did. I know it's only one vehicle of each but......
-It's amazing what a 33" tire can get over vs. say a 31". Doesn't seem like much of a difference but it is.
My 2 centavos....spend them as you wish.
Jason T.

peter

Observer
That's funny coming from a Jeep guy. I don't believe modern Jeeps are one bit more reliable than a Land Rover. Just my professional opinion.

And from a guy who wheels strictly with jeeps, and a yota here and there.. The only reliable jeeps are the older ones. Even the YJ, TJ, and especially the JKs are always crapping out..

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Did some 2003s have the 4.6? I wasn't aware of that. I thought it was just the 04s.
Did all the 4.6s have the manual center diff lock?

No, the 2003 did not have the TC with the "nipple". Some of the earlier DII's had the LT230 TC but did not have the CDL linkage. You can buy several different types of kits to hook up to the CDL nipple. The 2004 had the LT230 TC with the nipple hooked up to the linkage.

dude

Observer
haha. both of my disco's were ************ off road, but in the shop monthly. i've owned 7 jeeps- granted none past 80k miles, but never any trouble. my yota rocks. you cant knock the taco. whatever.:coffee:

pnorvell

Adventurer
Did some 2003s have the 4.6? I wasn't aware of that. I thought it was just the 04s.
Did all the 4.6s have the manual center diff lock?
All 03's, with the new body style, have them. Not all have the TC.

sorry i dont cream all over michaels truck like you always are.:bowdown:

Haha that's actually pretty good. Yeah i like Michaels truck cause he does all his own work, I respect that. I said that about you because you never really say anything constructive, or meaningful, just fluff. But to each their own.

Peter

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
haha. both of my disco's were ************ off road, but in the shop monthly. i've owned 7 jeeps- granted none past 80k miles, but never any trouble. my yota rocks. you cant knock the taco. whatever.:coffee:

Like I said, maybe the older ones. But the new ones... I did some engineering work for Chrysler and they were just absolutely terrifying.

dallasrover

Adventurer
Learn how to drive. Learn how to pick your line. Spend some time with Bill Burke.:coffee:

Owning one of each; an 89 Classic SWB with just a lift, tires and winch, and a 95 D1 with everything under it. My Classic is more than capable as a trail rig. Steven is correct, learn to drive it, have a good spotter and know both your's and your trucks capabilities. :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1