The Gubblemobile- Series III from hell.

SeaRubi

Explorer
Running the numbers, swapping in a Dana 30/Dana 44 combo will give me better overall braking performance front and rear, ARBs, a stronger rear differential, the possibilities of a rear disc conversion, and a few other benefits for about a 1/3 of the final price.

When you put it like that, it's hard to fault your logic ... parts is parts!

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Of course you get to the point where what you have is no longer a Land Rover, but I'm kinda more interested in the looks and interior space and less so in the actual Rover drivetrain. I'll get out to do some measureing and figgering soon and see if it's feasable. The rear axle isn't the issue as much as the front.

Wander

Expedition Leader
To me if you're using a Rover like it should be used then that's the end of the story. With you being in Alaska I can imagine you see a lot more difficult terrain on a regular basis then most of us down here in the lower 48.

lstrvr

I agree with upgrading as well when it makes sense both with regards to reliability and finances. The only thing I hate about seeing Axle conversions is when the track width looks off. I personally love the narrow stance of the series trucks. When you can do a swap from stock, and no one really notices is a beautiful thing.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I agree a narrow stance look is something I want to preserve. The narrow track axle used under CJ-5s is pretty narrow, and with the right wheel combination I think I can maintain a somewhat stock look. I certainly don't want the tires to extend way beyond the fenders, from a looks and practical standpoint- mud tends to coat your windshield if you go too wide. I'm also not crazy about fender flares on a Series, although Defender flares don't look too bad.

Yorker

Adventurer
How wide are those CJ5 axles? I remember looking under a narrow track Wagoneer or Commando and thinking that those axles would work ok under a Series.

SeaRubi

Explorer
I know of two different series trucks that are sporting RRC axles and coilsprings and the swap looked right, width wise. Coiler LR axles are about 62" WMS to WMS. fwiw

this was an SIIa truck - 235/85's and they tucked pretty nice.

jeep_rover.jpg

cheers
-ike

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
These are all just sort of quick measurements with a tape measure on the front axles that may not indicate anything:

The spring/axle mounting points on the series are 1" wider apart (.5"/side). I have room to adjust here on the Dana 30.

The kicker is the WMS, which is about 52" for the CJ and about 58" for the Series. Interesting. The rear is about 50" WMS.

A set of CJ wide-track axles (56" WMS) would likely be closer, but they are generally more prone to bending and I don't have all of the parts for them. Then there's the issue of the offset rear axle to match...

I might roll the CJ axle up to the frame and see what happens.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I'm never certain, but the usual measurement for CJ narrow track axles is 51.5" to 52". The Rover measurements came out to about 58" (I only measured the front). 36" for the housing, and 11" for the swivel balls out on each side.

Wide track CJ axles are 55"-56".

I could play with wheel offset a bit to get about an inch of extra width. which would at least partially overcome the frame width differences. From these it would only be a question of if the frame would limit turning radius or articulation. If I can stick the axle on there and temporarily attach it with u-bolts, I can jack it up and see how it flexes.

Ahhhh, the thoughts that flit through an idle mind...

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
By the way, any tricks to getting Lucas Hub oil into a swivel ball? My pump won't move the stuff, so I've resorted to gravity and a long tube, with the bottle suspended from the battery tray. My garage is a little colder than 50F, so it isn't exactly flowing like water.

Wander

Expedition Leader
So. You've got it on a iv drip!

Could you inject it somehow? Maybe with turkey baster or similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh