Tire choice struggle.

birdmann

Observer
So I've narrowed it down to the cooper s/t maxx. Now the size I am struggling with. I have a set of 16" taco wheels. I'm leaning towards 265/75 16. Mostly to avoid rubbing, and truthfully I don't need a larger tire. I've currently got stock sr5 wheels and 265/70 17 m/s rated highway tires. And have done just fine on the trails. Mostly due to the extra articulation from not having to extend bump stops. So here's where the problem lies, I really, really want 255/85 16. But 265/75 16 is all the tire I need. Please, only chime in with your own personal experience. Maybe this will also help others with the same questions. Let the debate begin!

Applejack

Explorer
I have 265/75/16 ST MAXX's on my 3rd gen 4Runner. They are super heavy, ride very stiff, supposedly very tough, murdered my gas mileage. Personally I would not buy them again. I would buy Duratracs again even though they are only 2 ply sidewalls now, or maybe try the new BFG AT KO2. They have good traction in most situations but have not been great at anything. Some have suggested I run lower air pressure but that would kill my mileage even more. They are probably better suited for heavier vehicles. To sum up my experience with them, they are like a super heavy duty version of a run of the mill all terrain tire. Traction prowess is somewhere in the middle. There is a whole thread on these tires with pages and pages to read. Check it out if you haven't yet.

mtnkid85

Adventurer
Another choice is that size range would be the 235/85/16. That would be my choice, just to gain a little more sidewall which may help smooth the tires ride out. It looks like both of those sizes are load range E tires though, which I believe will be stiff on a Tacoma.

rickashay

Explorer
I ran the ST Maxx in 265/75/16 on my 04' Tundra. I loved them. They are a heavier tire but I thought them to be a good-at-everything tire so I was satisfied wherever they were put to use. They look really good too. I never found them overly stiff but it depends what pressure you run them at as well. The above comment, what pressure were you running them at?

I don't think your mileage will suffer terribly between the two size choices. Your trading height with the 255 for width of the 265, but you'll need more trimming work to make the 255 work. It won't be back though depending on the BS of your wheels.

In my experience, everytime I have chosen the more conservative tire size, I've later ended up switching to the larger size. Now I always go with the bigger one in consideration from the get go.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
One things I've learned about tires is that you can't tell much about how they work by how they look. Test results are really how to know, and there are a lot of surprises.

Have you seen the latest tire rundown here on Expo?

http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

Some of the milder-looking designs ended up doing the best in off-road (and other) conditions. If I were in the market for tires, I'd be giving the Cooper Discoverer AT3 and Toyo Open Country A/T II a serious look.

As for sizes, I find the 265/75/R16 to be too wide for my liking. I don't like pushing that much air (or mud or snow) around. If I had 16" wheels, I'd go with the 235/85R16 size.

steve103

Observer
Another choice is that size range would be the 235/85/16. That would be my choice, just to gain a little more sidewall which may help smooth the tires ride out. It looks like both of those sizes are load range E tires though, which I believe will be stiff on a Tacoma.

i have the 235/85/16 and love them.great in sand and snow which i use them in at least 3 times in the winter in back country conditions,they perform wonderfuly. they are very heavy at 50# each. if you dont do a lot of off road and dont need this great tire i would go with something a little more AT,because you gas will go very fast with these,im down to about 13-14 mpg around town.i now have got a second set with a mild AT for around town and little day trips the mpg is up to about 15-16 which im glad to see. if your going to use these tires often in challenging terain then thier the tire for you.oh yeah these are on the stiff side but its a truck and these to make it ride like one.

p nut

butter
Guess I'm confused as to what you're asking. You obviously know your needs and wants. Sounds like an internal struggle that you need to sort out yourself. I'm sure you'll like either size you go with.

Clutch

<---Pass
Guess I'm confused as to what you're asking. You obviously know your needs and wants. Sounds like an internal struggle that you need to sort out yourself. I'm sure you'll like either size you go with.

255's are Expo Kool(aide) is my guess.

I would stick with the 265's and a different tread pattern. 265's in the Maxxes only come in an E rating in that size...too much for a 4Runner IMO...which is just that...my opinion. :D

At least that looks like a 4Runner in the avatar picture.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Really happy with my 255/85 bighirns load d. However if u do not need the larger size tire save the $ and celebrate with a road trip.

DVexile

Adventurer
I went through some similar angst in getting ready to set up my new expo vehicle - which is a Tacoma. In the end I told myself a 235/85/16 at 31.7" was going to be so similar to a 255/85/16 at 33.1" that I'd be insane to deal with all the other issues of the larger tire to get just 0.7" more clearance under the axles. In my case the Tacoma needs to go to 3" lift to fit the 33" tires and at that point you can run into a lot more issues than with a more mild 2" lift. For 4runner I really don't know what the tire size limits are, so my line of thinking might not apply at all to your situation.

As others said there seems to be some sort of a effect on people thinking they've just got to get to 33". I'm sure it makes a lot of sense for many people and many vehicles, but consider your particular vehicle and situation and decide whether the 0.7" of clearance is worth it.

Paddy

Adventurer
Life is too short to run small tires. Find whatever the biggest size mud tyre that will fit on your rig is, and then get the next bigger size.

birdmann

Observer
The responses have been awesome, thank you for your input. After much deliberation I have decided to go with the st maxx in 265/75 16. Having the need for a tougher slightly taller tire, the cooper fits the bill like a glove. A little on the heavy side, but I'm ok with that. Better than being too light. My current tires measured out to 31.4 new. Cooper states the st maxx in 265/75 is 32.1 perfect!

austintaco

Explorer
Just to throw another option at you, I'll add this. If I read your first post correctly, you currently have 17" rims but also have 16's? If you do have the 17" rims now, pick up a set of the Rubicon take offs that are all over craigslist for about $500 for a set. BFG MT 255/75/17. They are MT's, but as someone that has had Cooper ST's and now BFG MT's in 255/85/16 size, my BFG MT's are not louder, easier to balance, and are wearing more evenly with more offroad use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1