trasharoo improvement/changes thread

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
its best to keep a large majority of recovery gear within arms reach of the drivers seat. I got wedged between a rock in front (wheels off the ground) and a tree on the back on the rubicon this year and couldn't access my hilift (mounted on the inside of the swing out) or my recovery gear (stored in the bed of the truck) stuck in there because of the locked shell.

the tree smashed the swingout/hilift into the tailgate and nothing was moving. I couldnt move forward or back 1 cm. I have no idea how i wedged myself in there but it took 2 rigs and a borrowed hi-lift to get out... really made me rethink recovery gear placement.

i sure felt like an idiot that day.. i was about 300 yards out of camp and had to get my truck winched sideways off the the back bumper to get off the rock and out from the tree. it was really embarrassing. and i had to borrow a lot of gear from friendly strangers. and i was blocking the main route out of rubicon springs.

it was truly one of the: "HOW THE ****** DID I GET INTO THIS SITUATION???" sort of deals as i was assessing the stuckness of my truck

grimbo

Explorer
Grimbo, you are in the land of spare wheel sacks. Why when there are so many Australian versions of this product would you want to import one? - No offense intended to the Trasharoo which is obviously a very fine product but it would be like importing kangaroos to Australia. I guess the price is attractive but by the time you add postage it would put you into the realm of most of the Australian versions that you can buy at your local store.

Just my opinion of course.

John
MSA ones are too pricey, the bush ranger ones are too flimsy, also looked at another brand whose name escapes me and wasn't impressed with the quality. Have seen one of these in person and liked the quality and with good price and potentially good shipping costs, why not

trump

Adventurist
I need to get one of these.... But I really want one with exterior pockets and flaps (think of an alice pack) that buckle.

I think that was the idea of the MOLLE/PALS webbing on the 2 gen versions, so you can add your own pouches.

Sawyer

Adventurer
its best to keep a large majority of recovery gear within arms reach of the drivers seat. I got wedged between a rock in front (wheels off the ground) and a tree on the back on the rubicon this year and couldn't access my hilift (mounted on the inside of the swing out) or my recovery gear (stored in the bed of the truck) stuck in there because of the locked shell.

the tree smashed the swingout/hilift into the tailgate and nothing was moving. I couldnt move forward or back 1 cm. I have no idea how i wedged myself in there but it took 2 rigs and a borrowed hi-lift to get out... really made me rethink recovery gear placement.

i sure felt like an idiot that day.. i was about 300 yards out of camp and had to get my truck winched sideways off the the back bumper to get off the rock and out from the tree. it was really embarrassing. and i had to borrow a lot of gear from friendly strangers. and i was blocking the main route out of rubicon springs.

it was truly one of the: "HOW THE ****** DID I GET INTO THIS SITUATION???" sort of deals as i was assessing the stuckness of my truck

I hear ya. If I am by myself I carry a small bag with straps, etc in the rig behind my seat. However, when the whole family goes (two kids, wife, and dog) there just isnt that much room and it ends up in the back. With a dual swingout carrier I dont want to get in a situation like yours. Why I think pockets on the outside of this make so much sense to me...

I think that was the idea of the MOLLE/PALS webbing on the 2 gen versions, so you can add your own pouches.
That is what I figured. I would just prefer pouches/pockets with flaps where the mesh pockets currently are. Just my dream list..... and what goes through my mind every time I see one.

Lucky j

Explorer
I tough this was one of the main reason we are not supposed to be on our own on a trail or expedition! A lot of recovery gear and safety equipment should be available as duplicated on differents rigs, so theire is always some accessible or back-up.

Don't forget, any eavy object in a vehicule should be secure!

Happy challenging trails!

Ray_G

Explorer
its best to keep a large majority of recovery gear within arms reach of the drivers seat...
the tree smashed the swingout/hilift into the tailgate and nothing was moving. I couldnt move forward or back 1 cm. I have no idea how i wedged myself in there but it took 2 rigs and a borrowed hi-lift to get out... really made me rethink recovery gear placement.---

I'm with you there...people asked me why I put the little boxes on my roof rack (hold tree straps), why the hi lift is strapped down to the rear floor board, and why the shelf system can, if necessary, be accessed from the interior of the truck if you can't open the rear door.

Exactly that kind of situation; not to mention in a more routine fashion a lack of desire to open doors at times when water/mud will easily ingress or it is otherwise problematic. Makes for the the adage that two is one, one is none, etc.
ray mud.jpg
Pertinent to the topic, my trasharoo just shipped and I'm psyched to try it out-considering using it to hold a kinetic rope on the trails at MAR.
cheers-
Ray

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I need to get one of these.... But I really want one with exterior pockets and flaps (think of an alice pack) that buckle. That way I can stow recovery gear in them and not have to worry about loosing it on the trail/road. That is the only improvement I can come up with.

We are working on a new product that will work hand in hand with the Trasharoo to hold all your recovery gear. We're hoping to have a prototype this winter.

Adventureduo...will you be at the Off-Road Expo October 9th in Pomona?

Absolutely! We'll be in the Main Hall again this year! Offering up show specials and previewing a couple new items we plan to release. Come by and say hello!

dirty Bakers

Conservative
My brother has a trasharoo. Its great for holding diapers. I plan on getting one when I get my swing out bumper done.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Trasharoo improvements

I also have a simple gen. 1 bag, it has held up real well and I can only think of one thing to make it better, larger drain screens, mine tend to plug up, and brass no rust issues ( it can be wet up here in northern NY) to worry about, even so a really great piece of kit to have!!! stay safe, mjmcdowell

Vegakat

I aways thought it would be a good idea to have a trasharoo built into a spare tire cover. Here in Arizona the sun is very hard on exsposed tires. I would love to have one on my truck as well as on my travel trailer spare. I know the down side is you would have to build them adjustable or in several different sizes. Just my .02

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I also have a simple gen. 1 bag, it has held up real well and I can only think of one thing to make it better, larger drain screens, mine tend to plug up, and brass no rust issues ( it can be wet up here in northern NY) to worry about, even so a really great piece of kit to have!!! stay safe, mjmcdowell

We switched to a large grommet instead of the salt and pepper shaker drain holes of GEN1 and early GEN2's about a year ago. If you want, we offer a trade in special. Give us a call and we'll give you $15.00 credit towards a new one.

I aways thought it would be a good idea to have a trasharoo built into a spare tire cover. Here in Arizona the sun is very hard on exsposed tires. I would love to have one on my truck as well as on my travel trailer spare. I know the down side is you would have to build them adjustable or in several different sizes. Just my .02

There's a product out there called the PakRat. It's a tire cover with a zipper to store gear inside. It's NOT made for trash.. but i guess you could put a hefty bag in it. Probably won't store too much. Also, it runs $125.00 last time i looked.

We are in the US visiting and we can finally get our hands on a Trasharoo! I know they can be sent overseas, but we had a pretty bad experience shipping some stuff through USPS to Panama.

Will you guys stop by the Hollister Overland Rally event?

And on a product note: have you considered putting some kind of security metal mesh on the Trasharoo (like Pacsafe backpacks)? I doubt we will use our Roo as a garbage container, we are thinking of added storage... Maybe an idea to consider. I guess the cost may be prohibitive?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Luis, we're ready when you are man. We'd love to have our product on your rig. Drop me an email when you get time.

As far as Hollister goes, didn't that already happen? Or are you talking about 2012? Or the Rally on the East Coast coming up? If so, we'll have vendors there im sure that can bring 'Roo stock with them.

AS far as the metal mesh goes, yep.. everything raises the cost. We're actually working on an HD Trasharoo right now, but that's all i can say for now :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1