WASURF63's New ATFlippac

WASURF63

Adventurer
I really have to say your rig looks awesome with it so far. Quick question though, I'm thinking about purchasing a flippac, but was just wondering if its possible to mount surf racks on the flippac, since I do have quite a few boards and take several trips down to baja and mainland every year.
Cheers.
QUOTE=SilverSurfer;665522]I really have to say your rig looks awesome with it so far.
> I'm sure Doc never gets tired of hearing that.:victory:

I chose not to drill into the top of my ATFP, but others like VikingVince have mounted a rack at the very rear of the top with success.
You may also be able to use soft racks but I think you'd probably have to remove the surfboards before you flip the top each time ?
If you carry a huge quiver of boards there may not be many options with the Flippac other than mounting some type of rack to the top.

I haven't used surf racks on any of my vehicles since the late 70's growing up in California. I chose vans and pickups with canopies as my surf vehicles shortly after that. I moved to Washington in '95 and still prefer to be stealth, having the ability to lock my boards and everything else inside my rig.

The biggest board I ride is a 7'6" so I stuff that and two shorter boards inside with ease in my LB Tacoma. When I had the SB Offroad model like Docs' I was only able to fit a 7'0" inside (corner to corner) with the fins removed. That was one of a couple reasons I went to the LB Tacoma for my ATFP.
Whatever rig you have you can make it work. The ATFP is a most xlnt choice for Baja and MM traveling.
Good luck.

WASURF63

Navman

Adventurer
QUOTE=SilverSurfer;665522]I really have to say your rig looks awesome with it so far.
> I'm sure Doc never gets tired of hearing that.:victory:

I chose not to drill into the top of my ATFP, but others like VikingVince have mounted a rack at the very rear of the top with success.
You may also be able to use soft racks but I think you'd probably have to remove the surfboards before you flip the top each time ?
If you carry a huge quiver of boards there may not be many options with the Flippac other than mounting some type of rack to the top.

I haven't used surf racks on any of my vehicles since the late 70's growing up in California. I chose vans and pickups with canopies as my surf vehicles shortly after that. I moved to Washington in '95 and still prefer to be stealth, having the ability to lock my boards and everything else inside my rig.

The biggest board I ride is a 7'6" so I stuff that and two shorter boards inside with ease in my LB Tacoma. When I had the SB Offroad model like Docs' I was only able to fit a 7'0" inside (corner to corner) with the fins removed. That was one of a couple reasons I went to the LB Tacoma for my ATFP.
Whatever rig you have you can make it work. The ATFP is a most xlnt choice for Baja and MM traveling.
Good luck.

WASURF63

I was wondering the same thing so thanks for the answer. I usually use my VW when I surf and it's nice that I can take more than one board and not have to worry about it. I've been thinking about a p/u with a ATFP but am struggling with the board issue.

I usually ride smaller boards but when travelling like to throw in a longboard for small days or goofing around.

Maybe a pop up and flip pac hybrid would work. Hmmm....

WASURF63

Adventurer
I was wondering the same thing so thanks for the answer. I usually use my VW when I surf and it's nice that I can take more than one board and not have to worry about it. I've been thinking about a p/u with a ATFP but am struggling with the board issue.

I usually ride smaller boards but when travelling like to throw in a longboard for small days or goofing around.

Maybe a pop up and flip pac hybrid would work. Hmmm....

Maybe add some type of a small "fish" shape board to your quiver for micro surf, if you don't already have one?
It's kinda difficult to be stealth when traveling with a longboard in/on a Toyota pickup; probably much easier with a full size p/u and an 8' bed or the Westy?

Cheers, WS63

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Hey Walt, any new travels or improvements on the ATFP? New pics? How does the awning mount? Do the screws go all the way through the shell?

WASURF63

Adventurer
Hey Walt, any new travels or improvements on the ATFP? New pics? How does the awning mount? Do the screws go all the way through the shell?

Nothing significantly new to report at this time. I'm just starting on the inside build (very slowly due to time and $$$). I'm also having a local guy build some sliders for this LWB rig. Should complete some of this by next month. Will post up some pics then.

The Fiamma awning has a threaded bolt (2) that passes from the inside of the clamshell on either end, through the fiberglass shell into the interior, just below the hammock bar. The awning is also attached to a 3' long track that is riveted through the shell. The headliner on the shell interior covers these.
The combination attachment is super solid and streamlined.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
So it is installed before the carpet interior is laid down? Do you have any close up pics?

WASURF63

Adventurer
So it is installed before the carpet interior is laid down? Do you have any close up pics?

I don't think so. Carpeted headliners are usually applied to fiberglass canopies at the manufacturer, (FRP in this case). The Fiamma awning is one of the many additional options that AT offers and I'm pretty sure they installed it (along with my interior LED lights) on the ATFP after it arrived in Prescott. Mario @ AT would be able to confirm this.
My original post on this thread shows some pics of the awning.
Sorry, I don't have anything closer at the moment.

Navman

Adventurer
Maybe add some type of a small "fish" shape board to your quiver for micro surf, if you don't already have one?
It's kinda difficult to be stealth when traveling with a longboard in/on a Toyota pickup; probably much easier with a full size p/u and an 8' bed or the Westy?

Cheers, WS63

I force myself to limit my quiver to 4 boards at one time, but my modern fish is my go to board in most conditions. I guess as a surfer, you travel to find good waves, not longboard waves. It would just be nice to mount racks to hold long boards even if this requires removal at a camp site.

One reason I never owned a pickup is because of the board issue. Heck, I can even fit my 9'6" inside my Subaru. Maybe having a pickup would be a great motivator for not becoming a middle-age convert to full-time longboarding. :)

WASURF63

Adventurer
I force myself to limit my quiver to 4 boards at one time, but my modern fish is my go to board in most conditions. I guess as a surfer, you travel to find good waves, not longboard waves. It would just be nice to mount racks to hold long boards even if this requires removal at a camp site.

One reason I never owned a pickup is because of the board issue. Heck, I can even fit my 9'6" inside my Subaru. Maybe having a pickup would be a great motivator for not becoming a middle-age convert to full-time longboarding. :)

It all boils down to personal choice and what truly works best for each individual.
Longboard, shortboard, overland vehicle, rock crawler, racks or no racks, it's all good.
As long as you're happy with your choice and not sporting what someone else thinks is cool, that's the real buzz.
Heck, I've had great fun offroading stock rental cars and also ridden my
6'3" Superfish in 2' slop as well as solid 8-10' surf, because they were all I had at the moment!
I always travel to hopefuly find good waves, but the real enjoyment comes from the the actual journey, the cool people you meet along the way, and the good company you travel with. :costumed-smiley-007

thecriscokid

Explorer
First off, Great Rig.
I would love to travel without the burdon off long boards, but I don't think that will ever happen, I think? Maybe? manybe a CI Fiscuit could cange my mind?

I was just looking at a single cab pick up with a Flip Pac and a rack mounted far enough rearward to clear the cab. Looked nice, if you have a single cab...

I have been thinking of getting a ATFP and trying to make it into a Westfalia (wedge) style top. My idea is for my 00 Tundra with a 6 1/2' bed. Making it comfortable for multiple people to sleep in the back of the truck,some up top and some in the bed.
That would give 2 benifits. Hard roof for rain and board rack. the downside would be the loss of the balcony room.

Also, how are you liking the stiff(er) ride of the Toyo's?

Thanks,
C

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Think outside the box:

Why not find a way to mount/carry boards on the side of the FlipPac?

No issues with opening or removal ;)

thecriscokid

Explorer
green.jpg

WASURF63

Adventurer
First off, Great Rig.
I would love to travel without the burdon off long boards, but I don't think that will ever happen, I think? Maybe? manybe a CI Fiscuit could cange my mind?

I was just looking at a single cab pick up with a Flip Pac and a rack mounted far enough rearward to clear the cab. Looked nice, if you have a single cab...

I have been thinking of getting a ATFP and trying to make it into a Westfalia (wedge) style top. My idea is for my 00 Tundra with a 6 1/2' bed. Making it comfortable for multiple people to sleep in the back of the truck,some up top and some in the bed.
That would give 2 benifits. Hard roof for rain and board rack. the downside would be the loss of the balcony room.

Also, how are you liking the stiff(er) ride of the Toyo's?

Thanks,
C

C,

Thanks for the compliment. I should be starting on the interior build any day now, but keep blowing it off to go explore, surf, and camp each time I get a few days off. This ATFP is awesome to camp in, even in it's stock form!
"If" I was a longboarder and dead set on having them with me all the time, I would probably have a FWC, ATC, or similar pop up camper like many of the great rigs in the "Camper and Truck Photos" section. The ATFP was alot more affordable and lightweight for my current needs. I also have plans for multiple sleeping options with the slight extra room the LB Tacoma has; stay tuned...
Get what works for you. You'll be much happier in the long run. :)

The Toyo MT is really more in between an all-terrain and mud tread (neither/nor). They have a cushy ride on my rig @34 psi all around. I also have the center blocks siped, so they don't feel stiff to me at all. Between tire pressure, siping, and ease of balancing (probably due to its 58+ lbs per tire) these have been a really smooth riding, impressive tire for my rig, in the varied conditions I drive here in the PacNW. (BTW this is my 2nd set. I've also run several AT and MT tires on different rigs thru the years). Just my.02 :victory:

WS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1